Second Worst record over last 5 years for...

I honestly wish we were a selling club.

I rate Iorfa very highly, but nothing would've delighted me more than if a £20 million bid had come in for him and be accepted this window.

It's what normal clubs at this level do, and always have done.

• Haha 1

Embarrassing

Ill thought

Naive

Shameful

Shocking

Dreadful

Appalling

I'm running out of synonyms here for our transfer policy. We've all known this for years now though ... When its highlighted, its another kick in the teeth for us fans and the inept decisions from the big wigs at the club

So as stated we have sold no players other than really Joao under DC.

Equally important how many players have we developed from the youth set up to first team squad players I can think of maybe one in Dawson.

By bring Dawson through it should save us money in the future on not having to pay for Westwood replacement, but it kind of pointless bringing youth through if we then have the senior player still at the club claiming silly wages and sat in the stands.

I have been asking now for 4 years for the club to realise the need for an experienced director of football, a marketing manager who knows what he is doing and someone to run the club day to day as a business. In 4 years this has never happen and today we sit as a club losing £20m a season, with a ground with reduce capacity due to safety concerns, a development team producing no first team players and the team, no sponsorship from business or corporate companies other than from business who currently don't trade and the team in the same place in the league as when DC took over.

Oh yes and fans paying the highest prices in the league for merchandise and one of the highest for tickets to what 11 players as Saturday made up of 6 free agents or youth players, 1 loan player, 2 players costing us less than £200k each, Pelupessy cost us £450k and Reach who cost us £5m. So probably total fees of £6m. Compare that to the players sat in the stands or on the bench and you will see where all the money has been wasted.

We probably have £200k a week sat in the stands or on the bench never to play - Fletcher, Rhodes, Westwood, Hutch, Lee, Luongo, Winnall, Bates, Wildsmith. We continue to make so many gaffs on player recruitment why is Bates still at the club having player 0 minutes in the league in 30 games.  

Just out of interest, what are the transfer outgoings for the clubs over the same period? And what is that period? Because we've not spent that much on transfer fees either. Rhodes at £9m (£2m of which was recouped from Norwich), £1m ish on Luongo, £5m on Reach and £3m on Van Aken. So only a net loss of £8m over 5 seasons. Which is less than £2m a season over 5 years.

Edited by Minton

1 hour ago, Minton said:

Just out of interest, what are the transfer outgoings for the clubs over the same period? And what is that period? Because we've not spent that much on transfer fees either. Rhodes at £9m (£2m of which was recouped from Norwich), £1m ish on Luongo, £5m on Reach and £3m on Van Aken. So only a net loss of £8m over 5 seasons. Which is less than £2m a season over 5 years.

We’ve not signed a player for over £1m since Rhodes and van Aken in summer 2017 so you can see why the squad has stagnated

2 hours ago, Minton said:

Forestieri, Hooper, Joao, Winnall, Fox, Abdi, Jones, Pudil, Hunt, Matias, Lachman, McGugan, Wiggins, Bus, Melo, Vermijl - all in the last 5 years, and I believe we paid a fee for all of them.

Edited by cowl

2 hours ago, Minton said:

£4m Abdi, £3m apiece on Forestieri and Hooper, £2m+ JOao, £1m on Jones.

It's the wages that have been killing us rather than the transfer fees.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, cowl said:

Forestieri, Hooper, Joao, Winnall, Fox, Abdi, Jones, Pudil, Hunt, Matias, Lachman, McGugan, Wiggins, Bus, Melo, Vermijl - all in the last 5 years, and I believe we paid a fee for all of them.

Abdi slipped my mind, that is how forgettable he was though. 

May, Bus, Melo, Vermijl McGugan were 14/15, nearly 7 seasons ago...

6 hours ago, Minton said:

Abdi slipped my mind, that is how forgettable he was though. 

May, Bus, Melo, Vermijl McGugan were 14/15, nearly 7 seasons ago...

I never mentioned May.

Bus, Melo, and Vermijl were all signed at the end of the Jan window when DC arrived 5 years ago.

McGugan was signed in the same summer that CC arrived.

I missed one off too as we also signed Sasso for a fee.

36 minutes ago, cowl said:

I never mentioned May.

Bus, Melo, and Vermijl were all signed at the end of the Jan window when DC arrived 5 years ago.

McGugan was signed in the same summer that CC arrived.

I missed one off too as we also signed Sasso for a fee.

It's the length of time I'm wondering about, not who we've signed. Working out from Swansea's £212m, the figures are from the 15/16 period onwards, so most of those names are irrelevant. 

I'd also add that during the period a lot of those clubs were in the premier league and when they came down they had a number of high value premier league players to sell.

And I stress again, those figures in the table are meaningless without showing what the net spend was.

6 minutes ago, Minton said:

It's the length of time I'm wondering about, not who we've signed. Working out from Swansea's £212m, the figures are from the 15/16 period onwards, so most of those names are irrelevant. 

I'd also add that during the period a lot of those clubs were in the premier league and when they came down they had a number of high value premier league players to sell.

And I stress again, those figures in the table are meaningless without showing what the net spend was.

The tweet claimed it was from the last 5 years which I took to be true. If it is only for 15/16 onwards though, then that would mean only Melo, Vermijl, and Bus can be excluded - obviously, less than 20% of those named cannot be characterised as 'most'!

And you could exclude all the teams that have been in the Prem during the last 5 years if you want, and we'd still be 2nd from bottom of the table.

Also, why do you think the table is 'meaningless' without knowing what the net spend was? A table of net spend tells you about net spend. A table of money from player sales tells you about money from player sales, and if you try to draw conclusions about net spend based on it, the conclusions will be unwarranted. Fine. Don't try to conclude about net spend then. And if you think there's nothing worrying about a table that illustrates how little we've brought in over the last five years from player sales, merely because the net spend is not known, then fine also.

5 minutes ago, cowl said:

The tweet claimed it was from the last 5 years which I took to be true. If it is only for 15/16 onwards though, then that would mean only Melo, Vermijl, and Bus can be excluded - obviously, less than 20% of those named cannot be characterised as 'most'!

And you could exclude all the teams that have been in the Prem during the last 5 years if you want, and we'd still be 2nd from bottom of the table.

Also, why do you think the table is 'meaningless' without knowing what the net spend was? A table of net spend tells you about net spend. A table of money from player sales tells you about money from player sales, and if you try to draw conclusions about net spend based on it, the conclusions will be unwarranted. Fine. Don't try to conclude about net spend then. And if you think there's nothing worrying about a table that illustrates how little we've brought in over the last five years from player sales, merely because the net spend is not known, then fine also.

My point is that some posters are using these figures to show that we are losing more money than other clubs, when all it shows is that we haven't sold many players for fees. The net spend paints a better picture. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Minton said:

My point is that some posters are using these figures to show that we are losing more money than other clubs, when all it shows is that we haven't sold many players for fees. The net spend paints a better picture. 

Do you have a source for such a table?

19 hours ago, Minton said:

Taken from TransferMarkt and not included loan deals just permanent transfers;

14/15 – IN: Vermilj, Bus, Melo (£1.35m) / OUT: 0

15/16 – IN: Fessi, Hooper, Matias, Joao, Wiggins, McGugan, Sougou, Lachman, Wallace, Hunt, Bannan, Price, Turner,  (£13.797m) / OUT: May, Wiggins (£1.22m)

16/17 – IN: Reach, Abdi, Fox, Winnall, Sasso, Kean, Jones, Pudil, Fletcher, Thorniley, Emanuelson, (£9.81m) / OUT: 0

17/18 – IN: Rhodes, Van Aken, Pelupessy (£13.68m) / OUT: 0

18/19 – IN: Iorfa (??) / OUT: Hunt (£1.53m)

19/20 – IN: Luongo, Harris, Jones, Moses, Hidalgo, Borner, Da Cruz (£990k) / OUT: Joao (£4.86m)

TOTAL SPENT: £39,627,000

TOTAL RECOUPED: £7,610,000

TOTAL NET SPEND: -£32,017,000

• Thanks 2