Second Worst record over last 5 years for...

21 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

Its not just about selling either. Its about having a strategy to reinvest and hopefully improve the squad. There has been no insight into this way of thinking at all. Thats why we have declined. Its painful short termism that will and is setting us back years. 

I honestly though that we Chansiri came in the strategy I expected seemed to be logical. We signed good players at this level for relatively good fees in terms of Bannan, Hooper, Forestieri and kept good players like Westwood and Lee. 

These players had good market value and what I expected was for us to give promotion a really good push for 2 seasons with these players and if it didn't work out we could sell them on for decent fees and recycle the process.

This is where the 'family' aspect has seemingly undermined what would have been a fair approach, it doesn't make football or business sense. The fans are the only real 'family' of a football club as they will remain come what may while players, managers, staff, owners all come and go. It may seem like an admirable approach to consider everyone as part of the family but it is a naive one. By all means do everything possible to have all factors pulling in the same direction while ever they are part of a club but don't get emotionally attached to players to the extent that it harms the model of the club as that emotional attachment is rarely reciprocated by the players if the grass starts to look greener elsewhere.   

3 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

I honestly though that we Chansiri came in the strategy I expected seemed to be logical. We signed good players at this level for relatively good fees in terms of Bannan, Hooper, Forestieri and kept good players like Westwood and Lee. 

These players had good market value and what I expected was for us to give promotion a really good push for 2 seasons with these players and if it didn't work out we could sell them on for decent fees and recycle the process.

This is where the 'family' aspect has seemingly undermined what would have been a fair approach, it doesn't make football or business sense. The fans are the only real 'family' of a football club as they will remain come what may while players, managers, staff, owners all come and go. It may seem like an admirable approach to consider everyone as part of the family but it is a naive one. By all means do everything possible to have all factors pulling in the same direction while ever they are part of a club but don't get emotionally attached to players to the extent that it harms the model of the club as that emotional attachment is rarely reciprocated by the players if the grass starts to look greener elsewhere.   

If we can see it, why can't DC and his couple of buddies on here see it ?

You've quoted a sound business model, that most of this division follows.

Not sure why he thinks he's different.

Edited by Mr Farrell

1 minute ago, Mr Farrell said:

Thing is it is too late now though isn't it. The market value of our salable assets has nose-dived and the best we can hope for is to clear them off the books when their contracts come to an end, as it does for a few of the main earners this summer. I suppose selling Joao for a decent fee was at least a step in the right direction.

We will then see what the next approach will be. 

1 minute ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Thing is it is too late now though isn't it. The market value of our salable assets has nose-dived and the best we can hope for is to clear them off the books when their contracts come to an end, as it does for a few of the main earners this summer. I suppose selling Joao for a decent fee was at least a step in the right direction.

We will then see what the next approach will be. 

Agreed.

Missed that boat. Just hope he's learned something.

8 minutes ago, Mr Farrell said:

Agreed.

Missed that boat. Just hope he's learned something.

I think he is. Joao leaving was encouraging. And he let Monk move Baker and Thorniley on who probably were never going to make it here. Plus we have managed to give some players loan spells, when before we didn’t let anyone out on loan. Penney, Van Aken, Kirby, Shaw for example. 

But like has been said the damage has already been done. And because we pay massive wages we can’t even cut our losses on the likes of Rhodes, Winnall because nobody in the right mind would match the wages they are in here. Injuries haven’t helped either. If FF stayed fit these past couple of seasons for example, even if he was playing at half the level he was in 2016, I reckon someone would have taken a punt on him. But his career has been stop start nobody will take a risk on him. 

A right old mess. I look at who our our current saleable assets are, and maybe Iorfa? I think he’s overrated by some but he’s got attributes to be a very good defender. Reach? Would have said yes at the start of the season but he’s been poor this year. We wouldn’t make profit on him now. Bannan maybe but at 30 years old I can’t see many queuing up to meet our valuation which is no doubt very high. 

No doubt some fans will start banging on about Chansiri using his own cash, and we’ve had worse in the past etc etc

It’s a simple state of affairs. We are f****d and will be for a couple of years yet unless we fluke promotion. 

The single biggest reason is the absolute cluster**** that has been our recruitment. Not just the players we’ve signed but all those loan players who turned up and were not used. 

Between Buckley, Emanuelson, Mcmanaman, Rhodes, van Aken there must be £20M in fees and wages.  

Just now, i used to be sc_owl said:

No doubt some fans will start banging on about Chansiri using his own cash, and we’ve had worse in the past etc etc

It’s a simple state of affairs. We are f****d and will be for a couple of years yet unless we fluke promotion. 

The single biggest reason is the absolute cluster**** that has been our recruitment. Not just the players we’ve signed but all those loan players who turned up and were not used. 

Between Buckley, Emanuelson, Mcmanaman, Rhodes, van Aken there must be £20M in fees and wages.  

And the rest. The nearest thing I can compare it to is a child playing fantasy football with no real understanding of the financial implications.

13 hours ago, 83owl said:

Crazy. I knew it was bad but I wasn’t expecting that. Goes to show we deserve any punishment we get with FFP.

Depends what you mean by ‘we’.

The club’s hierarchy deserve to have the book thrown at them for the negligent way the club has been ran IMO.

But ultimately it’s the fans that suffer.

I am truly shocked by that table. Brentford have raised more than 100 million from player sales than we have over the last 5 years. Despite losing all this talent, they sit comfortably above us in the league. They and others realize the importance of investing in talent that can reap profit, and reinvesting those profits to keep that upward trajectory. 

Like selling Iorfa for a very good profit - we got him for 200k so it demonstrates there are bargains out there. Teams like Brentford prove it can be done consistently too - we should be hiring all their scouts!

This is one of the main reasons why we are in FFP bother, but our lack of player sales has gone on for far longer than DC has been at the helm. It goes back 30 years.

16 hours ago, Mr Farrell said:

Geoff would have sorted it!

17 hours ago, i used to be sc_owl said:

Add Abdi, Jones, Sogou, Boyd, McGeady, Turner, Price, Kean, Lachmann and Wiggins to that little lot.

On a plus side we didn't lose any players we wanted to stay either. In hindsight Nuhiu should have gone 2 years ago after scoring an hatrick and FF should have gone for 12 million, but at the time he was our star player, prob still is based on Saturdays cameo.

In the past we have had to say farewell to our star players like Brunt and Whelan and suffered, not days I would like to go back to.

There needs to be a cleverly managed balance between the 2, with young talent coming through the academy to replace players we sell for top dollar. Academy and young recruitment has been poor and not supported sales of our best players.

Considering the currents restrictions Football League Clubs have in terms of expenditure/revenue its a no-brainer that a club should look at buying players with re-sale value and cashing in on them when the time is right.

However, Chansiri is from a mega-mega-rich family and to him holding onto players and losing £100m is nothing. The worrying thing, when put into context, is not his principles but his complete lack of awareness in terms of reality (i.e EFL restrictions) and thus, his overall business sense. 

Edited by AwokenGiant