With and without Bannan

10 minutes ago, g-owls said:

A poor man's John Sheridan. 

Bannan spends too much time out of position constantly going to get the ball. 

Sheridan intelligently found space at the right time to receive it. 

Hence a greater tactical discipline and better team shape. 

Oh for all those years after Sheridan when we wished we had even a poor man's John Sheridan in our squad.

6 minutes ago, OwlinOldham said:

Its a catch 22 though. If he doesnt drop deep he doesnt get the ball, yet if he does drop deep theres no central midfield to pass the ball to. 

What use is Bannan sat on the toes of yhe CBs? The long ball or the pass out wide to LB or RB that he is going to make just as easily be made by the CBs. Im a big fan of the lad, i honestly mean that, just seems to be that hes part of the problem we have at times. 

Both Iorfa and Borner are comfy and able enough on the ball. Maybe Bannan can move up the pitch and let the ball come to him once in a while. Its a team game and he and us need to understand that it doesnt have to ALL go through him.

They are, but they need someone to give it to.

If that’s JP then we’re goosed because he can only pass backwards or max. 2 meters to Bannan

Today he attempted a 10 yard pass to Harris and it proved too difficult 

3 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

They are, but they need someone to give it to.

If that’s JP then we’re goosed because he can only pass backwards or max. 2 meters to Bannan

Today he attempted a 10 yard pass to Harris and it proved too difficult 

It doesnt matter whos in midfield alongside Bannan though, he reverts to type and still drops deep. Hutch, Pessy, Lee, Luongo..... hes always coming for the ball.

As soon as hes dropped in for the ball, the other CM must also drop in to make the pass available. We then lose the middle of the park cos our  central midfield is now in our own defensive third. Worse still is that once the midfield drops, we then go long and theres then nobody in the middle up the pitch to win a second ball. 

Its a dilemma that needs sorting. Great player to have in your team, but at what cost? I think the lack of  diversity and quality we have at CM also doesnt help our cause. You cant drop Bannan if you dont have someone worthwhile to replace him with. Like i said, catch 22. 

5 minutes ago, OwlinOldham said:

It doesnt matter whos in midfield alongside Bannan though, he reverts to type and still drops deep. Hutch, Pessy, Lee, Luongo..... hes always coming for the ball.

As soon as hes dropped in for the ball, the other CM must also drop in to make the pass available. We then lose the middle of the park cos our  central midfield is now in our own defensive third. Worse still is that once the midfield drops, we then go long and theres then nobody in the middle up the pitch to win a second ball. 

Its a dilemma that needs sorting. Great player to have in your team, but at what cost? I think the lack of  diversity and quality we have at CM also doesnt help our cause. You cant drop Bannan if you dont have someone worthwhile to replace him with. Like i said, catch 22. 

Personally I’d rather upgrade the talent we have than downgrade our midfield by dropping Bannan.

We desperately need Luongo to get fit. We haven’t seen enough of that pairing. With Windass in the mix it could also make for an interesting middle three

27 minutes ago, Yellowbelly said:

So the other players starting or not starting only affect the games we win & not the games we lose then? Only when it serves the argument against Bannan does it matter. The point is when we have our best players on the pitch - Bannan included - we are a much better team and win more games. I’m not denying Bannans struggling at the moment but no one was making this racket earlier on in the season when he was the main supply line to goal machine Fletch were they?

Think you'll find I'm not pro or anti Bannan. What I'm saying is that it's a team of 11 players so stats like this can be misleading. The wins could have been we had a more settled back four and the losses a makeshift one. One players stats don't mean anything to me in that sense.

2 minutes ago, Junk Smuggler said:

Think you'll find I'm not pro or anti Bannan. What I'm saying is that it's a team of 11 players so stats like this can be misleading. The wins could have been we had a more settled back four and the losses a makeshift one. One players stats don't mean anything to me in that sense.

That’s exactly why the sample size is important 

Just now, McRightSide said:

Personally I’d rather upgrade the talent we have than downgrade our midfield by dropping Bannan.

We desperately need Luongo to get fit. We haven’t seen enough of that pairing. With Windass in the mix it could also make for an interesting middle three

Agreed.

If we can get a team playstyle that can acommadate Bannan and not make us soft in the middle of the park, id be as happy as anyone. I have said on here numerous times, Bannan can play as deep lying playmaker anytime for me, but only if we can have 2 box to box beasts either side of him. No point playing him with DM players. We just end up playing 6 at the back.

Hopefully Windass can be one of them and fingers crossed so can Luongo. Honestly think Bannan is a great player, just dont think we currently play in a way where we can get the best out of him. Fingers crossed Monk has a plan.  

2 hours ago, cowl said:

The thing is, we absolutely do miss Bannan when he doesn't play.

We miss his creativity, and he does get a lot of assists. That we get many more points with Bannan on the pitch doesn't surprise me one bit. 

But there's also something to the point that he sits very deep which can also present problems in some games.

Both are true, in my opinion.

Of course, perhaps we don't have a natural partner for Bannan in central midfield, and maybe we ought to look to solve the problem that way.

Myth.

He does not sit deep. He comes deep to get the ball to start our next attack. If he “sat” higher up who do you think would find him with a pass? Lees? Iorfa? Börner? 

He does what every energetic creative mid does. He seeks the ball at every opportunity.

I urge any Owl who thinks Bannan plays too deep to watch the vid of us v Villa at Hillsborough last season, and watch Grealish. Look how deep he picked the ball up. It was the only way he could influence the game. Same for Bannan. If he waited high up for the ball to get to him he’d never see it in our team. 

We we have two passes. Short into Bannan, and long to our target man. 

• Thanks 1

Guest LondonOwl313

These stats are pretty meaningless because 92 games (or about half of the ones in which he featured) were in 2015/16 and 2016/17 when we had a quality side of which Bannan was just one player. A large chunk of the games in which he didn't play were when he was injured in 2017/18 when most of the other players were also injured and we had a moron in charge of the team.

So it can already be seen that the primary driver of results over the two periods were driven by other things where the inclusion of Bannan as to whether we won or not was a secondary factor by some distance.

That said, you don't need statistics to see he's one of the few players we have who is a good footballer. I don't get the crew who are blaming Westwood, Lees, Lee, Hutchinson, Bannan and FF for the dire performances. Yeah we need to freshen things up... but the reason performances are so bad is that the above players aren't playing regularly and the rest of the squad has little quality. Seems like people want to point the finger and rely on rumours while applauding 'triers' who are ultimately rubbish at football. Bizarre

56 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Myth.

He does not sit deep. He comes deep to get the ball to start our next attack. If he “sat” higher up who do you think would find him with a pass? Lees? Iorfa? Börner? 

He does what every energetic creative mid does. He seeks the ball at every opportunity.

I urge any Owl who thinks Bannan plays too deep to watch the vid of us v Villa at Hillsborough last season, and watch Grealish. Look how deep he picked the ball up. It was the only way he could influence the game. Same for Bannan. If he waited high up for the ball to get to him he’d never see it in our team. 

We we have two passes. Short into Bannan, and long to our target man. 

So, you're quibbling over whether he 'sits' deep to receive the ball or 'comes' deep to receive it?

When he gets the ball, he's very often 'deep' - agreed?

2 hours ago, g-owls said:

A poor man's John Sheridan. 

Is that the same John Sheridan who used to get boo'd by our fans when he missed a penalty and some of the subsequent games as well? 

Weird that isn't it. Players making a mistake, fans getting on their back, then become legends. 

Maybe one day the fans will learn their lesson.

For me he needs moving on . He isn’t a poor player, he’s just been here far too long and it’s all so predictable . He’s obsessed with the holy wood ball when it isn’t on , tippy tappy crap in the box that wastes decent chances , poor corners and sitting too deep. 

An attacking midfielder that can’t shoot is a handicap too . It’s stale in midfield and needs a complete overhaul 

6 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Stats over 176 games are scientific mate. 

What I mean is they don't tell the whole story but give the impression of doing.

It doesn't tell us if we would have played better with a good alternative (rather than a squad player)

It's not like we've been blessed with strength in depth in midfield.

Nor having Bannan on the pitch is bound to weaken us with the squad we have had.

Guest HillsboroughOwlNI
8 hours ago, peacock1961 said:

Your recent stats miss out two Cup games that we won and played well, without the messiah. 

He’s not the messiah. He’s a very naughty boy!