With and without Bannan

15 minutes ago, Junk Smuggler said:

Not a massive difference in stats and you have to factor in the other players in those games that did or didn't start.

1.58 points per game (73 points over a season) and 1.13 points per game (52 points over a season) is a massive difference. Difference between coming 7th or 18th last season, for example.

Just now, Emerson Thome said:

1.58 points per game (73 points over a season) and 1.13 points per game (52 points over a season) is a massive difference. Difference between coming 7th or 18th last season, for example.

Still need the same stats for every player. I bet there are some with better stats than the one you've done for Bannan. 

4 minutes ago, Emerson Thome said:

Just think of the value for money you get when Bannan plays. You can enjoy another season of failure.

• Haha 1

Since Bannan moved from Left midfield after Carlos' first season, hes not really fitted into any set up we have played. 

Whilst technically and creatively very good, he also takes away from the team in other ways. Bannan playing the deep role hes adopted this last few years means the team must be built around his play style to get the best from him. Him playing deep costs us the middle of the park almost every game. He wants to be a playmaker/quarterback and we cant really play to that or accomadate that style.

I suspect its also why hes not getting international caps. Theres few as good as Bannan when hes on form, but hes evidentlty not worth changing the way a team plays to accomadate. 

I would move him back to left midfield and play Luongo and Windass in the middle. Maybe then we will have someone actually in the middle of the park to recieve the ball, while still getting Bannan involved and further up the pitch. 

Edited by OwlinOldham

3 minutes ago, OwlinOldham said:

Since Bannan moved from Left midfield after Carlos' first season, hes not really fitted into any set up we have played. 

Whilst technically and creatively very good, he also takes away from the team in other ways. Bannan playing the deep role hes adopted this last few years means the team must be built around his play style to get the best from him. Him playing deep costs us the middle of the park almost every game. He wants to be a playmaker/quarterback and we cant really play to that or accomadate that style.

I suspect its also why hes not getting international caps. Theres few as good as Bannan when hes on form, but hes evidentlty not worth changing the way a team plays to accomadate. 

I would move him back to left midfield and play Luongo and Windass in the middle. Maybe then we will have someone actually in the middle of the park to recieve the ball, while still getting Bannan involved and further up the pitch. 

How do people keep missing the point that due to our deficiencies if Bannan doesn’t drop deep he struggles to get on the ball?

Just like the Wigan game. It was a perfect example.

He doesn’t trust those round him...but for good reason.

Needs better players around him than we can get out there alongside him at the moment

2 minutes ago, OwlinOldham said:

I suspect there are two reasons Bannan isn't getting many caps: 1) the fact there's a number of regular starting Scottish midfielders in the Premier League - McTominay, McGinn, Snodgrass, Fleck as well as Cairney who was in the Prem last season. 2) There have been a bunch of mediocre managers who are looking to manage expectations by picking a load of 23 year olds (but like Hodgson did with England). Same reason Fletcher hasn't always had much of a look-in.

And all that said, he still has 27 caps and has played for Scotland within the last year.

A poor man's John Sheridan. 

Bannan spends too much time out of position constantly going to get the ball. 

Sheridan intelligently found space at the right time to receive it. 

Hence a greater tactical discipline and better team shape. 

2 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

How do people keep missing the point that due to our deficiencies if Bannan doesn’t drop deep he struggles to get on the ball?

Just like the Wigan game. It was a perfect example.

He doesn’t trust those round him...but for good reason.

Needs better players around him than we can get out there alongside him at the moment

Its a catch 22 though. If he doesnt drop deep he doesnt get the ball, yet if he does drop deep theres no central midfield to pass the ball to. 

What use is Bannan sat on the toes of yhe CBs? The long ball or the pass out wide to LB or RB that he is going to make just as easily be made by the CBs. Im a big fan of the lad, i honestly mean that, just seems to be that hes part of the problem we have at times. 

Both Iorfa and Borner are comfy and able enough on the ball. Maybe Bannan can move up the pitch and let the ball come to him once in a while. Its a team game and he and us need to understand that it doesnt have to ALL go through him.

10 minutes ago, Emerson Thome said:

I suspect there are two reasons Bannan isn't getting many caps: 1) the fact there's a number of regular starting Scottish midfielders in the Premier League - McTominay, McGinn, Snodgrass, Fleck as well as Cairney who was in the Prem last season. 2) There have been a bunch of mediocre managers who are looking to manage expectations by picking a load of 23 year olds (but like Hodgson did with England). Same reason Fletcher hasn't always had much of a look-in.

And all that said, he still has 27 caps and has played for Scotland within the last year.

I can see both sides to that in fairness. I do still think that his way of playing does require a certain set up to get the best from him though. If he say played further up the pitch i honestly think hed have more game time for them than hes had.

46 minutes ago, Junk Smuggler said:

Not a massive difference in stats and you have to factor in the other players in those games that did or didn't start.

So the other players starting or not starting only affect the games we win & not the games we lose then? Only when it serves the argument against Bannan does it matter. The point is when we have our best players on the pitch - Bannan included - we are a much better team and win more games. I’m not denying Bannans struggling at the moment but no one was making this racket earlier on in the season when he was the main supply line to goal machine Fletch were they?

Edited by Yellowbelly