With and without Bannan

A few people have mentioned recently dropping, or even selling Bannan. I strongly disagree - he's one of the best players we've had in a long time.

I looked into the stats of when he does and doesn't play.

With Bannan

He's started 177 league games for us. Our results are:

176 games*

74 wins, 56 draws, 47 defeats

1.58 points per game

*Excluding the game against Fulham where he went off injured after 30 mins with the score at 0-0 (we lost 1-0)

Without Bannan

In these seasons there have been 38 league matches he hasn't played:

38 games

11 wins, 10 draws, 17 defeats

1.13 points per game

For completeness, he's also come off the bench 4 times - quite a small sample, but two 1-0 defeats (we were already losing when he come on), once at Leeds at 0-0 (we won 2-1) and once at Norwich at 2-1 up (we drew 2-2).

The thing is, we absolutely do miss Bannan when he doesn't play.

We miss his creativity, and he does get a lot of assists. That we get many more points with Bannan on the pitch doesn't surprise me one bit. 

But there's also something to the point that he sits very deep which can also present problems in some games.

Both are true, in my opinion.

Of course, perhaps we don't have a natural partner for Bannan in central midfield, and maybe we ought to look to solve the problem that way.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, stocksyuto said:

How do his stats read over this season and last? Because yea his first 2 seasons were excellent but I'd like to know more recent statistics.  

Cant lie hes been good for us tho, he does go missing every so often .

We've only played 7 games without Bannan in the league in the last two seasons. We've taken 10 points from those 7 games, so slightly better points return than in the previous seasons without him, but then again, 5/7 of those games were at home so you would expect us to do better. Certainly of the games we've won, only the Forest match was convincing (Preston were down to 10 men in the first half, Barnsley conceded a soft goal in the 2nd minute)

Oct 2018: SWFC 2 - West Brom 2

Dec 2018: Swansea City 2 - SWFC 1

Dec 2018: SWFC 1 - Preston 0

April 2019: SWFC 3 - Nottm Forest 0

May 2019: SWFC 1 - QPR 2

Aug 2019: SWFC 2 - Barnsley 0

Nov 2019: Blackburn Rovers 2 - SWFC 1

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Emerson Thome said:

A few people have mentioned recently dropping, or even selling Bannan. I strongly disagree - he's one of the best players we've had in a long time.

With Bannan

176 games*

1.58 points per game

*Excluding the game against Fulham where he went off injured after 30 mins with the score at 0-0 (we lost 1-0)

Without Bannan

38 games

1.13 points per game

For completeness, he's also come off the bench 4 times - quite a small sample, but two 1-0 defeats (we were already losing when he come on), once at Leeds at 0-0 (we won 2-1) and once at Norwich at 2-1 up (we drew 2-2).

I don’t know the answer, and I’m a bit in the Mark Twain camp, but what does it look like for just this season. 

Whatever the answer, he should never take another corner for this club, and how 5 managers have allowed it to continue is beyond belief. 

I personally just don’t think the way this team plays now suits Bannan. Not criticising Monk either, nothing wrong with being direct.

He just doesn’t really get stuck in, not exceptional defensively and he’s not spectacular infront of goal. Magnificent passer of the ball, stick him in a tippy tappy Fulham side and it would suit him to the ground. 

Just think midfield is more suited to those second ball winners and players who get into the box, Luongo and a 15/16 Kieran Lee would be perfect. 

8 minutes ago, Ronnie Starling said:

I must be watching a different team because when Bannan does play I am missing his creativity. His set pieces today were abysmal. About time someone else was given a go.

I wonder what people like you do watch , 

Murphy and Forestieri took some set pieces today 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Emerson Thome said:

With Bannan

176 games*

1.58 points per game

Without Bannan

38 games

1.13 points per game

Not a massive difference in stats and you have to factor in the other players in those games that did or didn't start.

On the set pieces point, according to WhoScored we've scored 10 goals from set pieces in the league this season (Cardiff/Brum have most goals with 16, Leeds/Boro the least with 6).

I'm not sure which 10 goals they are counting, but of the ones I can remember - all 7 have been from Bannan:

- Bannan corner headed in by Hutchinson (vs Reading)

- Clayton heads a corner from Bannan into his own net (Boro)

- Iorfa heads in a Bannan free-kick (Boro)

- Bannan corner is headed down by Iorfa and hooked in by Fox (Swansea)

- Fox flicks in Bannan corner (Stoke)

- Bannan corner is headed against bar by Winnall, Lees scores rebound

- Lees heads in Bannan corner (Cardiff)

And Murphy, Forestieri, Pelupessy (god help us) and others have been on corners and set pieces too at various times...

21 minutes ago, Ronnie Starling said:

I must be watching a different team because when Bannan does play I am missing his creativity. His set pieces today were abysmal. About time someone else was given a go.

I think so to, because many were taken by Murphy and some by FF when he was on