Harris

1 hour ago, richowl said:

767D1108-EF80-4034-AC85-448DA992F77D.jpeg

Posted 17th January 

Exactly, and with a more potent strike force we would have reaped the benefits more.

Him and fletcher were linking nicely. Shock fletcher gets injured and Harris form drops. It’s similar with Bannan, who is always looking for him.

Hopefully Wickham coming in will see Harris rediscover his form. I don’t think he’s necessarily playing bad, but as always you’re judged on goals and assists 

On 02/02/2020 at 09:55, Bigblueowl said:

This type of player needs the ball passing down the channels or angled behind their full backs. If Bannan etc did this Harris would have a field day!

Yesterday and over the last few games he's had the ball played square and straight at him pretty much on the half way line! He then has to try and beat their midfielder and full back with the ball rather than using his pace to run on to the ball.

His main attribute is pace not trickery! 

Nail on head. It was similar with Andy Sinton in the 90s. At he was brilliant at QPR running onto the diagonal ball or the ball through the channel but then he came to and was constantly given the ball on the halfway line and expected to beat everyone. The general opinion then became that Sinton was rubbish but the fact is that we played him in a way he wasn’t effective. 

1 hour ago, FreshOwl said:

Exactly, and with a more potent strike force we would have reaped the benefits more.

Him and fletcher were linking nicely. Shock fletcher gets injured and Harris form drops. It’s similar with Bannan, who is always looking for him.

Hopefully Wickham coming in will see Harris rediscover his form. I don’t think he’s necessarily playing bad, but as always you’re judged on goals and assists 

His form dropped wayyyyy before Fletcher wasn’t playing

1 hour ago, FreshOwl said:

Ive posted that stat a number of times on here.

He also put in two cracking crosses against Millwall, and then two against Wigan too. We just have nobody decent up front at the minute doing the job 

15 minutes ago, TodwickOwl said:

Ive posted that stat a number of times on here.

He also put in two cracking crosses against Millwall, and then two against Wigan too. We just have nobody decent up front at the minute doing the job 

1 cracking cross.

The other got cut out by the first defender.

On 01/02/2020 at 17:58, torres said:

Teams worked him out, he’s lost a bit of confidence, not bright enough to work out the quick give and go or have better movement 

Still decent as a squad member 

He is bright enough, but who the hell does he pass to, in this mythical give and go. He does produce good crosses, but needs runs off him to create space.

1 hour ago, kendoddsdadsdogsdead said:

He is bright enough, but who the hell does he pass to, in this mythical give and go. He does produce good crosses, but needs runs off him to create space.

Harris only real quality is 1 v 1 vs the full back where he has enough quality to create a little space to get a cross over.

All you need to do is prevent him getting 1 v 1 and he’s out of the game.

8/10 times he gets the ball in the box.

Occasionally he will cut in and do a crazy shot, but I always forgive him for this because of the chances he created.

It's true teams have sussed out he is our main threat and double up on him. This ought to create space elsewhere on the pitch. You've got to question why we ain't exploiting that.

Answer- the players aren't good enough.

Play Forestieri next to Harris and see what happens when they double up on Harris.

• Like 1

Hopefully, he comes good and rediscovers that early form...but as per my original post in this thread, I'm just not seeing it with this lad. 

He is quick, but not that quick. Can anyone recall the last time he had his fullback on toast? I'm struggling tbh. 

Funnily enough, I think Murphy (who I don't overly rate either) looks more likely to beat a man and do something with it...though usually that is a cross into the stands. 

Then there is his weird obsession with constantly using his left foot. Good that he can use it, but I can't help but feel he would be more productive if he was willing to cut inside a bit more and use his supposedly stronger right foot. No fullback likes a winger who tries to cut inside. 

What I will say in his defence, is that very few attacking players are going to benefit with our current approach. Fletcher has had an exceptional season, but nearly everyone else is struggling (to some extent) and I wonder if that is not just down to poor form/not being all that good, but also our attacking approach, or lack thereof. 

Have we considered that one of the faults may be that we are expecting our players to be 'wingers','forwards, ' backs' etc when football has moved on. What we want aremen who can be mobile, and not always make the same move. Many consider that football consists of "Winger goes down wing, beats full Back for speed, tye crosses into are where the Goalscorer takes over" Football has become much more fluid than that.

6 minutes ago, Buxtongent said:

Have we considered that one of the faults may be that we are expecting our players to be 'wingers','forwards, ' backs' etc when football has moved on. What we want aremen who can be mobile, and not always make the same move. Many consider that football consists of "Winger goes down wing, beats full Back for speed, tye crosses into are where the Goalscorer takes over" Football has become much more fluid than that.

Well, a lot of "wingers" now actually play as forwards in a 4-3-3 system. 

Once upon a time, players like Salah, Mane, Sterling would have probably occupied wide left or right in a 4-4-2 type system. 

Nowadays, these wide forward players are often the main source of goals. 

When we started playing the 4-5-1 system,  I hoped our plan was to revert to a 4-3-3 when attacking teams. You've got Fletch as the focal point and then Murphy, Harris etc get in and around him. Unfortunately, we often end up playing a 4-5-1 system and that's your lot. An isolated striker and two wide players, trying (often failing) to put balls into a box where we have one player in the right area (if that). 

No wonder some of our fans have such an aversion to playing "1 up top". 

Edited by SiJ

13 hours ago, Pale Rider said:

Some of his play can be a bit untidy, perhaps we need a neater Harris. 

He does have a tendency to give the ball away but if we give him the ball further forward that will be less risky. Whenever you have a player who takes people on there is a risk that they will not beat their man and lose the ball. it's the risk you take  but I'd rather we did that than play safe and boring.

6 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Well, a lot of "wingers" now actually play as forwards in a 4-3-3 system. 

Once upon a time, players like Salah, Mane, Sterling would have probably occupied wide left or right in a 4-4-2 type system. 

Nowadays, these wide forward players are often the main source of goals. 

When we started playing the 4-5-1 system,  I hoped our plan was to revert to a 4-3-3 when attacking teams. You've got Fletch as the focal point and then Murphy, Harris etc get in and around him. Unfortunately, we often end up playing a 4-5-1 system and that's your lot. An isolated striker and two wide players, trying (often failing) to put balls into a box where we have one player in the right area (if that). 

No wonder some of our fans have such an aversion to playing "1 up top". 

Leave the wingers wide and get the midfield in the area so there's more for the defenders to worry about.

17 minutes ago, prowl said:

He does have a tendency to give the ball away but if we give him the ball further forward that will be less risky. Whenever you have a player who takes people on there is a risk that they will not beat their man and lose the ball. it's the risk you take  but I'd rather we did that than play safe and boring.

I'm not sure anyone would have a real go for trying something in the final third. In fact i think most would applaud the intention (rather than a steady and safe Reach for example)

It's when the other options are much better that he seems to have fuzzy thinking in my opinion.

A shot to nothing or a run on his own, when a simple pass is on, a high cross when a pull back was clearly better etc etc  

He is not on his own though as decision making is one of the teams worst attributes  

In his and their defence  - a constantly rotated team/formation doesn't help matters

On 02/02/2020 at 10:23, gurujuan said:

Three assists isn’t great, his final ball is generally poor

The sooner we all stop reading too much into statistics and paid more attention to what we watch the better.

"nobody told me there would be days like these!"