Harris

52 minutes ago, Mr. Tom said:

was surprised to see him hooked quite so early, thought he was offering more than Murphy today

I thought Murphy was offering more, but I did think Harris was looking a little better than other weeks.

Still, the decision to bring him seem to be made immediately after Harris' somewhat lethargic attempt to get into the box and onto the end of Reach's breakaway surge toward their goal.

I expect now with the increased number of attacking options as well as the return of Forestieri, Harris will have a chance to recharge better between games now.

1 minute ago, cowl said:

I thought Murphy was offering more, but I did think Harris was looking a little better than other weeks.

Still, the decision to bring him seem to be made immediately after Harris' somewhat lethargic attempt to get into the box and onto the end of Reach's breakaway surge toward their goal.

I expect now with the increased number of attacking options as well as the return of Forestieri, Harris will have a chance to recharge better between games now.

I don’t think it’s about re-charging.

Hes just a known quantity and hasn’t found a way to combat that.

He is a very simple winger to play against. He can do two things, that’s it.

Just now, McRightSide said:

I don’t think it’s about re-charging.

Hes just a known quantity and hasn’t found a way to combat that.

He is a very simple winger to play against. He can do two things, that’s it.

Yeah, possibly not. But he's already been getting less game time in the last month as it is, and I expect he may soon find himself not even getting game time some matches. I guess we'll see whether he can start being of value to us again.

3 hours ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

Don’t know how many posters have played as a winger but it is the most difficult and demoralising position on the pitch when the team is not set up to give service to the wide men in the attacking third. 

Service needs to be strategic. Play needs to be routinely switched from wing to wing to prevent the opposition doubling up. Tempo needs to be quick. Forwards and full-backs need to make runs that isolate the winger 1v1 against his full-back. When one of the wingers has the beating of his full-back service has to be constant. Forwards and attacking midfielders need to flood the penalty area to make the most of crosses. 

We currently do none of this. Therefore we play with wingers but are not set up to optimise them. As a result, Harris, Murphy and Reach spend most of the game starved of the ball, chasing lost causes or tracking forward runs. The way Monk sets up defensively the wingers are required to do more running than anyone else. 

No wonder Harris looks tired and demoralised.  

Agree in general but I think as much as anything it’s that our midfield generally cant get a grip of the game. We have 2 modes of play either aimlessly pass it around the back or lump upfront.

We can’t control games where we keep teams under sustained pressure in the finial third like you say probing side to side looking to exploit a 1v1.

3 minutes ago, 83owl said:

Agree in general but I think as much as anything it’s that our midfield generally cant get a grip of the game. We have 2 modes of play either aimlessly pass it around the back or lump upfront.

We can’t control games where we keep teams under sustained pressure in the finial third like you say probing side to side looking to exploit a 1v1.

Fair comment but It should help our midfield in its decision making and tempo to have a game plan of hitting the wingers as early and as often as possible. At the moment they seem to play entirely off the cuff and lack the strength, quality and creativity to do so resulting in little or no threat and losing the ball too close to our goal. By being more direct, like Liverpool at least we should create more opportunities and worse case lose the ball higher up the pitch

Harris has been over played and over relied on I’m guessing mostly to do with a lack of competition or quality competition 

these new signings and the return of FF will be brilliant for our team and Harris 

better rotation, better options 

I can imagine defenders being on their toes all game with FF only for a Harris to come on and stretch them with 30-20 mins left 

I can also see that happening in reverse I bet their full back had a hard game putting up with Harris then seeing forestieri come on inmahine when they are both feeling fresh and fit 

they will run Barnsley, Luton and reading ragged 

8 minutes ago, TINKERBELL said:

Over played.are you serious it's his job and paid lots of money for it.they have lots of time off to recover and do what they want. 

Stop being a dinosaur it’s not Sunday league every sports scientist, manager, analyst in world will bang on about fixtures congestion, match sharpness, recovery it’s small margins these days means nothing to me and I’m guessing you. But this are finely tuned athletes that fitness level wise would run circles around even our 1966 World Cup winning team that’s why it’s a squad game with substitutes these days too  

• Like 1

Throughout his career Harris hasn't played regularly from the start. I think the most amount of starts he's made before this season is 22 and I think he has struggled to adapt to that. Not that that's all his fault, we were very reliant on him in the early part of this season and I think teams do tend to make sure they mark up on him at times. Recent additions could help ease the pressure on him a bit.

Wouldn't surprise me if he has run out of steam.  Started the season well and was one of our main attacking threats and worked his bag side off but teams seem to have worked him out or double teamed him.

Best way to get consistent performances from guys like this is to have them fighting weekly for his position and I get the feeling he has perhaps become comfortable like many others in the side. 

8 hours ago, deano said:

Started fantastic, however with recent form and new additions I think he will struggle to get a game going forward. 

I think we need to move away from out and out wingers. 

For the past 10-15 we’ve been saying we need wingers. 

Harris was great in the first 10-15 games, did more running than the rest of the team put together.  

Don’t know whether he’s tired, tactics have changed, something else.  

Would be nice to get him back firing 

I think his lack of confidence reflects the team as a whole. 

But significantly as Bannan falls deeper and deeper it takes away the opportunity for BB to slot those 20 yd passes in behind the fullbacks for Harris to run on to.

Bannan really does need to be further up the pitch particularly with Cruz, Wickham and FF now in contention 

12 hours ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

Service needs to be strategic. Play needs to be routinely switched from wing to wing to prevent the opposition doubling up. Tempo needs to be quick. 

Spot on. 

We are slow moving the ball. 

Earlier in the season Harris had space on an angle to attack, now not so much. 

• Thanks 1

I’ve been impressed with him. Just needs to work on his shooting and final ball.

Hes been our main outlet all season though so it’s difficult to be the primary threat all season. 

It’s gone very bi polar on OT again. Wind back a month and a bit and the mood and opinion were very different 

He's probably played more games for us this season than he has in a long time elsewhere and it's just a case of a little burnout as well as a slight drop in form. Still a very useful player to have around the squad, plus it's not like he's cost us an arm and a leg so far. We've had players recently stealing a living that have cost us greatly financially.

40 minutes ago, Kopparberg said:

Spot on. 

We are slow moving the ball. 

Earlier in the season Harris had space on an angle to attack, now not so much. 

Also spot on. Number of times yesterday that Harris had to go backwards for the ball instead of having it to run onto.