Joe Jockstrap

Monk pleased with the performance!

I just wonder what Monks style of play and football philosophy are? I was always led to believe his teams tried to play football so why are we continually smashing long balls from front to back? Today Millwall was land of the giants and we persist in launching long balls to Nuhiu who struggles to dominate even average sized centre backs in the air. Is it the personnel that he feels can’t play any other way?
It’s just strange that you can’t seem to identify a blueprint of how he wants us to attack teams when usually a new manager likes to stamp his own mark on a team. Suppose he needs a couple of windows to truly make this his team by I must admit I am concerned with our apparent lack of tactical set up.

Edited by swfc1983

20 minutes ago, modboy said:

Being booed off says otherwise

I think it says more about the people booing to be honest 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, scilly owl said:

Maybe in the next match we can try Performance with no effort. Then after that we can try Performance with effort. 

We’ve tried no Performance with no effort.... one of them of them has got to work.

And I thought you were from Scilly

1 hour ago, gurujuan said:

Did he really say that?

No. Misquoted...

I am not sure what anybody expected to see today especially when we saw the team. I expected a defeat.

It was never going to be pretty.

Millwall seemed to have most of their best players available, have been on a good run and are the kind of physical side we struggle against .

A midfield of Bannan, Joey and Reach can’t tackle a fish supper.

Assuming Hutch, Luongo, Lee , Fox are injured then not sure what else Monk could have done.

We got away with one at the end but other than that I thought we did ok in a battling sense. We were never going to suddenly turn into Barca were we.

I would also have thought Monk was worried as well with the team he had to pick on the back of recent results so I can understand why he sounded somewhat relieved at the end.

I was.

Edited by oldishowl

It wasn't great and it wasn't fun to watch but, we've defended brilliantly not conceded 5 at home (mass improvement)  and we had 2 players coming off the bench that looked hungry and added an intensity and urgency to the attack. I think that is a positive to build on and although I don't want to be bored at Hillsborough, there's stuff to be hopeful about for the future people. 

Hopefully in 5/6 games time we will see a shot on target.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, hugeowl said:

Sounded like the officials were getting boos 

Both on the kop

Today was a must win really

4 hours ago, Joe Jockstrap said:

Need I say more?

Not read all the pages so it might have already been said, but his interview lasted a fair few minutes but could have been done in 30 seconds. Kept saying the same things over and over as must have ran out of things to say... Platform to build on x4, attitude x3, confidence x3... Cliché after cliché.... Zzzzz

4 hours ago, Captain Scarlett said:

CLUELESS I keep telling you

Yes I believe you are.

2 hours ago, briggowl said:

It wasn't great and it wasn't fun to watch but, we've defended brilliantly not conceded 5 at home (mass improvement)  and we had 2 players coming off the bench that looked hungry and added an intensity and urgency to the attack. I think that is a positive to build on and although I don't want to be bored at Hillsborough, there's stuff to be hopeful about for the future people. 

Stop being reasonable and posting constructive observations.

• Haha 1

Want Want Want.

Need Need Need.

Now Now Now.

Think football under Stewart gray was better, I think monk could be gone at the end of the season if things don't improve

5 hours ago, Box_Man said:

He said it was better than our last performance. 

Said there was more desire and application etc etc

Said FF was a big positive 

Any manager that has to play Nuhiu from the start needs to be cut some slack 

The thing is though he doesn't. He picks the players, he takes the blame. 

3 hours ago, Owlinmad said:

Want Want Want.

Need Need Need.

Now Now Now.

20 years...

• Haha 1