I feel like DC is trying...

In what way is Chansiri 'harming the club?

Have a good think back and see where we were then and now.

We had an owner who got us out of the mire -don't forget that Milan rescued us from Court Proceedings for unpaid Tax, and were in hock to the bank.The team was performing so-so, The pitch was in a poor state. MM got us out of the immediate financial mire, then effectively passed the buck to DC.

In DC's term, we reached the play-off final from a mid table position, where the team fluffed it We were  in desperate need of a striker . THE name at that time was a certain J Rhodes , who proved unwilling to move from his mother club, Meanwhile a local side had a striker who seemed to be scoring for fun. With Rhodes seemingly unavailable, we purchased the said striker. Since that ended in fiasco rather than triumph, DC was vilified, for doing what many fans had been crying out for. Meanwhile , we were given a new pitch, certainly far better than the old one,We have reached the play-offs , and once again fluffed our chance. We have tried a series of 4 managers, one of whom, the darling of the fans, left us in the lurch to go to 'better pastures'. Under our latest manager we reached third place in the league before a disastrous run, and have reached the heady heights of the 5th Round of the FACup. 

Contrary to popular belief, we have, despite quite a hefty output on payers, we are financially viable, and in no way near the position of Bury, Bolton etc. We may be no better off than we were prior to his arrival, but we are certainly no worse. So, who's harming the club?   .I don't notice the name Chansiri appearing on the actual team sheet? 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Spookone said:

Exactly, the same fans who moan at the ticket pricing strategy are probably the same ones who say “we have no ambition, why haven’t we signed anyone yet”.

Cant have both ways. 

Agreed. One thing I would say though is we need to be careful with how we implement the pricing strategy. All for DC seeking extra revenue and the fans playing their part but if tickets are not pitched at the right level (notwithstanding the need for an uplift) then it simply serves to put fans off going on a game to game basis. And attendances haven’t been great this year. Support what you’re saying generally but we do need to be a little careful here.

11 hours ago, ka58 said:

No - I think it’s papering over the cracks but we’ll be better in the short term which is pretty much the entire strategy for last 5 years 

Agree that we need a football strategy but who knows what is and isn’t in place. The first wave of signing under DC seemed coherent - maybe it was just difficult to weld extra players to that. Would you have preferred us to make no signings in this window?

12 hours ago, Mystic Neg said:

I'll openly admit that I am not a big fan of DC and think he's harming the club, not intentionally of course. The only quality he has brought to this club is his intention to spend. He certainly doesn't appear to have learned much. 

My issue here is that if we are looking to mount a challenge for play offs we need a lot more than a) someone who was class several years ago but not match fit, b) someone who is new to the league entirely and c) someone largely unpopular at Wigan. Albeit the last one is probably the safest of the lot.

Given our battle with the EFL, I don't think I'd have signed anyone and would have accepted that we are rebuilding. If this is a push at getting promoted then it's half hearted, we need way more. If it's not a push, it's a waste of another 750k (guess) in wages over rest of season. 

I may have waited until pre season too but at least he’s had a go. Maybe they were the players that we available with the money we could afford - maybe we are being responsible to an extent by not going all in.

3 hours ago, Buxtongent said:

In what way is Chansiri 'harming the club?

Have a good think back and see where we were then and now.

We had an owner who got us out of the mire -don't forget that Milan rescued us from Court Proceedings for unpaid Tax, and were in hock to the bank.The team was performing so-so, The pitch was in a poor state. MM got us out of the immediate financial mire, then effectively passed the buck to DC.

In DC's term, we reached the play-off final from a mid table position, where the team fluffed it We were  in desperate need of a striker . THE name at that time was a certain J Rhodes , who proved unwilling to move from his mother club, Meanwhile a local side had a striker who seemed to be scoring for fun. With Rhodes seemingly unavailable, we purchased the said striker. Since that ended in fiasco rather than triumph, DC was vilified, for doing what many fans had been crying out for. Meanwhile , we were given a new pitch, certainly far better than the old one,We have reached the play-offs , and once again fluffed our chance. We have tried a series of 4 managers, one of whom, the darling of the fans, left us in the lurch to go to 'better pastures'. Under our latest manager we reached third place in the league before a disastrous run, and have reached the heady heights of the 5th Round of the FACup. 

Contrary to popular belief, we have, despite quite a hefty output on payers, we are financially viable, and in no way near the position of Bury, Bolton etc. We may be no better off than we were prior to his arrival, but we are certainly no worse. So, who's harming the club?   .I don't notice the name Chansiri appearing on the actual team sheet? 

Absolutely spot on.

We’ve not been in a better position for 20 years yet the whinging is getting louder.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, We are all Wednesday said:

...given the signings in this window. Will the fans be happy with this or will they be saying we can’t afford it?! We can’t have it both ways.

I would have saved the money and put what we can spend to squad rebuilding in pre-season but still good to see giving it a go and helping Monk.

Another sensible soul, who can see that DC is trying and supports the club. Not perfect but dont know what all the doomongrrs would do. Not like there is another waiting in the wings with 200m burning a whole in his pocket.

14 hours ago, F. Spiksley said:

LIterally WTF?

We are still in with a shout this season.

Wickham is a good January signing.

The other two aren't bad either.

Why give up now = we still have to get our arse into gear in the summer either way.

Too many bloody defeatists these days.

UTO

I know I go on about it a lot, but the conveniences of the modern age, which ostensibly should be liberating and relaxing us, actually seem to be having the effect of making us more impatient, miserable, judgemental, anxious, superficial, intemperate and short-termist.

Edited by DJMortimer

39 minutes ago, Yellowbelly said:

Absolutely spot on.

We’ve not been in a better position for 20 years yet the whinging is getting louder.

It's not that simple though is it?

Looking purely at matters on the field, we have remained exactly where we were when Chansiri first arrived with the biggest change being the prospect of a severe penalty from the EFL looming over us that may actually make the situation far worse.

I don't doubt the chairman's good intentions, but any objective analysis has to conclude that he has made far too many mistakes. He can still rescue this legacy, and I'm sure he wants to, but the overall results so far can only be judged as mediocre it seems to me (with the caveat that we did come close twice to the big reward).

13 hours ago, CrosbyKitchens said:

I don't think people realize how much money this bloke has. We're not talking millions, it's billions. His family are the largest producer of canned tuna in the world. Think about that. 

He's taking on the EFL and he's going to break the system. Have some faith. You don't get to be as rich as him and be stupid. It'll come. His last two managerial appointments have been very good.

FFS the whole company is valued at £3 billion. DC is one of many stakeholders and his total wealth is nowhere near a billion. His dad who is in charge of the whole shebang is valued at about £800 million. You do get to be that rich if your parents give you the money and tell you not to get involved in the company. Think you're getting the baht mixed up with the Pounds. Think he's made too many mistakes to be a good chairman and he has no clue about football.

2 hours ago, We are all Wednesday said:

Agree that we need a football strategy but who knows what is and isn’t in place. The first wave of signing under DC seemed coherent - maybe it was just difficult to weld extra players to that. Would you have preferred us to make no signings in this window?

no I think we needed a centre forward with fletcher out.

6 hours ago, Buxtongent said:

The club is not viable as confirmed by the auditors in their opinion "material uncertainty related to going concern" on page 12 of the last set of accounts.

47 minutes ago, We are all Wednesday said:

Agreed but that is what we need in the short term right? And it doesn’t come cheap.

if we had a more long term Vision we would hopefully be in a position where we didn’t need to work on such a reactionary basis.

2 hours ago, ka58 said:

if we had a more long term Vision we would hopefully be in a position where we didn’t need to work on such a reactionary basis.

I agree in as much that a big shift needs to happen now. Think we have ultimately come to the end of a cycle which was success in the first part and not so much in the second half. Hopefully we can build for the future come pre season.

9 hours ago, We are all Wednesday said:

Agreed. One thing I would say though is we need to be careful with how we implement the pricing strategy. All for DC seeking extra revenue and the fans playing their part but if tickets are not pitched at the right level (notwithstanding the need for an uplift) then it simply serves to put fans off going on a game to game basis. And attendances haven’t been great this year. Support what you’re saying generally but we do need to be a little careful here.

Yes you’re right but I think my South Stand season ticket hasn’t had a price increase for 3 seasons, so I think DC is listening and realises for some fans the prices were increased higher than they probably should have been.

11 hours ago, Spookone said:

Yes you’re right but I think my South Stand season ticket hasn’t had a price increase for 3 seasons, so I think DC is listening and realises for some fans the prices were increased higher than they probably should have been.

I agree and I noticed that match day ticket prices tend to fall closer to £30 than £40 at the moment. Although maybe this is still pushing it to an extent give the standard of football and opposition you get to see at these prices.