I feel like DC is trying...

DC is trying, unfortunately through inexperience and naivety in running a English football club he's made serious and expensive mistakes which will now take some time for the club to recover from. A totally different plan needs putting in place for us to move forward bringing in younger hungrier players, buying and selling at the right time,looking at match day prices at least until we've got a team that's really worth coming to see,we've got to stop supporters slowly drifting away and losing interest in this difficult period the club is going through,especially the young kids who are the future of the club. 

1 hour ago, F. Spiksley said:

LIterally WTF?

We are still in with a shout this season.

Wickham is a good January signing.

The other two aren't bad either.

Why give up now = we still have to get our arse into gear in the summer either way.

Too many bloody defeatists these days.

UTO

Amen to that!

1 hour ago, F. Spiksley said:

This is the problem with Owlstalk. Wild swings of emotion after a couple of bad, or good, results. Too many seem eager to lash out at anything. This is obvious from match threads when people start using ridiculous language after we go one behind.

Personally, I think it could be a lot worse than Chansiri: look at the likes of Bolton and how they've been shafted by unscrupulous characters. Yeah, it's not fantastic after the recent run of results, but considering we've been realistic 'contenders' for the playoffs and promotion to the PL for the last few years, we aren't doing too bad. Seems a long time since we were getting beat 4-1 at home to the likes of Peterborough. We all need to have a bit of faith and get behind Monk and give him time to build his own squad. Of course let's also not forget this season is still all to play for. WAWAW

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, We are all Wednesday said:

How would you have approached it if you had to make the decision? Genuine question... Just interested to know the range feeling given where we are.

I'll openly admit that I am not a big fan of DC and think he's harming the club, not intentionally of course. The only quality he has brought to this club is his intention to spend. He certainly doesn't appear to have learned much. 

My issue here is that if we are looking to mount a challenge for play offs we need a lot more than a) someone who was class several years ago but not match fit, b) someone who is new to the league entirely and c) someone largely unpopular at Wigan. Albeit the last one is probably the safest of the lot.

Given our battle with the EFL, I don't think I'd have signed anyone and would have accepted that we are rebuilding. If this is a push at getting promoted then it's half hearted, we need way more. If it's not a push, it's a waste of another 750k (guess) in wages over rest of season. 

13 minutes ago, Wisenightowl said:

Personally, I think it could be a lot worse than Chansiri: look at the likes of Bolton and how they've been shafted by unscrupulous characters. Yeah, it's not fantastic after the recent run of results, but considering we've been realistic 'contenders' for the playoffs and promotion to the PL for the last few years, we aren't doing too bad. Seems a long time since we were getting beat 4-1 at home to the likes of Peterborough. We all need to have a bit of faith and get behind Monk and give him time to build his own squad. Of course let's also not forget this season is still all to play for. WAWAW

Oh absolutely.

Just because I think he’s failed so far, doesn’t mean I don’t realise it could be far worse.

I hear people say “if couldn’t get any worse” and I think “you haven’t been paying attention”

Couple of my mates are Pompey and Bolton fans.

14 minutes ago, Mystic Neg said:

I'll openly admit that I am not a big fan of DC and think he's harming the club, not intentionally of course. The only quality he has brought to this club is his intention to spend. He certainly doesn't appear to have learned much. 

My issue here is that if we are looking to mount a challenge for play offs we need a lot more than a) someone who was class several years ago but not match fit, b) someone who is new to the league entirely and c) someone largely unpopular at Wigan. Albeit the last one is probably the safest of the lot.

Given our battle with the EFL, I don't think I'd have signed anyone and would have accepted that we are rebuilding. If this is a push at getting promoted then it's half hearted, we need way more. If it's not a push, it's a waste of another 750k (guess) in wages over rest of season. 

Kind of agree. There’s plenty of talent in our squad, as unbalanced as it is. The problem seems to be the mentality too. You can’t crack that in a window. 

I don't think people realize how much money this bloke has. We're not talking millions, it's billions. His family are the largest producer of canned tuna in the world. Think about that. 

He's taking on the EFL and he's going to break the system. Have some faith. You don't get to be as rich as him and be stupid. It'll come. His last two managerial appointments have been very good.

6 minutes ago, CrosbyKitchens said:

I don't think people realize how much money this bloke has. We're not talking millions, it's billions. His family are the largest producer of canned tuna in the world. Think about that. 

He's taking on the EFL and he's going to break the system. Have some faith. You don't get to be as rich as him and be stupid. It'll come. His last two managerial appointments have been very good.

I agree with the last sentence.

If your family are rich you are rich, you can still be a bit of a plonker with it.

2 hours ago, We are all Wednesday said:

...given the signings in this window. Will the fans be happy with this or will they be saying we can’t afford it?! We can’t have it both ways.

I would have saved the money and put what we can spend to squad rebuilding in pre-season but still good to see giving it a go and helping Monk.

No - I think it’s papering over the cracks but we’ll be better in the short term which is pretty much the entire strategy for last 5 years 

He does care, and is trying. Is he stubborn as f*ck, naive, and sometimes clueless, yep, is he confused about the whole FFP thing, ye, but then he isnt the only one in the football world. Has he made mistakes, yep, hes human. Hell the whole "club as a family" aspect is a noble and decent sentiment, but, fails because we rarely offload players. BUT he does care, he is trying to do his best, and he always backs the managers. He cares enough to fight for the club against everyone, as shown by him taking on SAG, SYP, the EFL, Newcastle, the council, Godfrey down the pie shop etc. Is he a wonderful chairman, no, because he is too stubborn to listen, but what wee wees me off is the bellends who say he is the worst chairman ever and he is going to kill the club, like they would rather have Dave Richards, who started our descent into the abyss, or f*cking Dave Allen, who sent us to the high court.

8 hours ago, OwlBiSeeinThi said:

Would have liked to see a few heading out. Either loans or permanent. Might have given those left a kick up the arse.

But happy with what he's allowed in

I don’t think people leaving is entirely in his hands... It’s a combination of the manager clearly making a statement of who he doesn’t want or need (which if you ask me was probably a bit too late on this window), and other clubs willing to take such players on. 

8 hours ago, We are all Wednesday said:

...given the signings in this window. Will the fans be happy with this or will they be saying we can’t afford it?! We can’t have it both ways.

I would have saved the money and put what we can spend to squad rebuilding in pre-season but still good to see giving it a go and helping Monk.

We may not be in a position to do anything in pre season.

I think the last 2 windows we've done good business. Not spent a lot in fees and improved the squad.

Added to which we started to balance the wage bill by releasing high earners last summer and will continue the process this summer. 

We've also generated income from the sale of Joao, Thornily and Baker, plus Bruce compensation and had a few younger lads out on loan. 

I think the recruitment department is starting to show its value, allowing us to live within our means (kind of). 

IMO DC has always been supportive and tried to do his best, the current approach more sustainable and hopefully effective. 

Nobody can challenge DC's commitment to the club. Yes he has made many a mistake and has put us in an awkward situation with the EFL.

I'm happy to see him continue IF he has learned lessons from his mistakes and there is evidence to suggest this is the case, certainly re the buying and selling of players over the last three windows. Ticket prices have also been frozen for several years though are still high ffor POG customers.  

Edited by Beauchief Owl

10 hours ago, We are all Wednesday said:

Exactly, the same fans who moan at the ticket pricing strategy are probably the same ones who say “we have no ambition, why haven’t we signed anyone yet”.

Cant have both ways. 

10 hours ago, F. Spiksley said:

LIterally WTF?

We are still in with a shout this season.

Wickham is a good January signing.

The other two aren't bad either.

Why give up now = we still have to get our arse into gear in the summer either way.

UTO

Exactly this.

We only need to be looking at 6th.

Coming up on the rails with momentum. 

4 months left to do it.

Our destiny is out there. Let's grasp it!!

10 hours ago, gizowl said:

DC is trying, unfortunately through inexperience and naivety in running a English football club he's made serious and expensive mistakes which will now take some time for the club to recover from. A totally different plan needs putting in place for us to move forward bringing in younger hungrier players, buying and selling at the right time,looking at match day prices at least until we've got a team that's really worth coming to see,we've got to stop supporters slowly drifting away and losing interest in this difficult period the club is going through,especially the young kids who are the future of the club. 

Seems to me that’s plan has already been put into place.