Do You Back Chansiri

Who Backs Mr Chansiri And His Running Of The Club  

532 members have voted

1. 1. Who Backs Mr Chansiri And His Running Of The Club

• Yes
    • No

3 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

Richards was a hero once. He actually achieved something. Let’s see how the Chansiri era pans out. 

Once upon a time, yeah. But we're then just debating whether Chansiri is 2nd or 3rd in the last 30 years.
The guy saying Chansiri is the worst ever.. ffs.

12 minutes ago, cookeh said:

As it stands right now, I'd put Chansiri 2nd in that list. Mandaric saved us, so gets enormous credit for that, but we were clinging on a bit towards the end of his tenure. Chansiri has solidified us as a Championship side and we've come really close to promotion a few times too.

Richards took over on a high and secured our relegation from the Premiership. Allen, Hulley and Strafford.. good god.

I am not sure that was the stated aim when Chansiri announced various membership schemes, ticket prices and multi year season tickets.

4 minutes ago, cookeh said:

As it stands right now, I'd put Chansiri 2nd in that list. Mandaric saved us, so gets enormous credit for that, but we were clinging on a bit towards the end of his tenure. Chansiri has solidified us as a Championship side and we've come really close to promotion a few times too.

Richards took over on a high and secured our relegation from the Premiership. Allen, Hulley and Strafford.. good god.

Even though he’s been here 5 years I’d say it’s still too early to say where he sits in that list.

Need to wait until the charge has been settled and if/when the finances are stabilised and crowds are improving again. 

Richards brought us the league cup, European football, the likes of Waddle and di Canio, improved the ground and ensured Hillsborough was used for Euro 96. Ok he left under a cloud but what has Chansiri achieved close to that?

And I wouldn’t use the word ‘solidified’ to describe Chansiri’s tenure 

27 minutes ago, cookeh said:

Dave Richards took charge of us in 1990 how is that's joining when we were on a high, he saw us back to the top flight and was in charge when we won our only domestic honour in the last 85 years.

Many dislike him for the way he left us for the EPL job, but we cannot forget what he brought to the club and the team in his 10 years in charge. I don't think he took over on a high he took over not long after the Hillsborough disaster

4 minutes ago, nilsson said:

And I wouldn’t use the word ‘solidified’ to describe Chansiri’s tenure 

We've never been in actual danger of relegation under him, and made the playoffs twice. Average finish in the 4 seasons under him is 9th.

I'll give you that there's always been something going on, but in terms of results we've been a steady Championship side that sometimes flirts with promotion.

We’ve scored a total of 4 goals in the first half at Hillsborough this season. That’s 4 goals in 720 minutes of football in the first half.

And a total of 14 goals in 16 games. We’re the lowest home goal scorers in the entire championship. 

And DC is still charging a minimum of £33 to watch us play Millwall and Reading. It’s like he’s given up on attracting any new fans

Chansiri took a gamble, it didn't pay off and we are now paying the price for it. Probably be a few years before he can roll the dice again. I supported the gamble so I'll support the consequences. 

In regards to comparing him against previous regimes, did the likes of Richards, Allen, Strafford etc. pump millions of their own money into this football club? A case could be made for Allen but didn't Richards gamble with the banks money rather than his own?

I'll question his decision making at times, but while he continues to cover the losses with his own fortune then he has my backing.

11 minutes ago, nilsson said:

We’ve scored a total of 4 goals in the first half at Hillsborough this season. That’s 4 goals in 720 minutes of football in the first half.

And a total of 14 goals in 16 games. We’re the lowest home goal scorers in the entire championship. 

And DC is still charging a minimum of £33 to watch us play Millwall and Reading. It’s like he’s given up on attracting any new fans

He’ll pick himself up front next home game now.

:duntmatter:

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, nilsson said:

Richards gave us the best players, manager and the best years the club has had in living memory.

The only trophy we’ve won in the last 80 years was under Richards. He took us into Europe and to two other cup finals. And the kop was seated and south stand redeveloped under his ownership.

There’s plenty you can criticise him for but you have to remember that aswell.

Chansiri hasn’t achieved anywhere close to what Richards did at the club

Correct me if you can but when was Dave Richards ever an owner. Richards was chairman, spending the money of someone else, kind of takes the pressure off.

In terms of promises didn't he say he'd make Wednesday bigger than Manchester United ever were. A charlatan and careerist who use Wednesday as his personal vehicle to the top !

Edited by nevthelodgemoorowl

Well said Nevethelodgemorrow.

Dave Richards was a director of companies involved in engineering, telecommunications and water and waste treatment, several of which entered administrative receivership or were dissolved.

He became a director of Sheffield Wednesday F.C. in October 1989 and chairman five months later, following the departure of the long serving Bert McGee.  SWFC had been in the Premier League for 6 years when he took over.

Richards was made chairman of the Premier League in 1999, and left Sheffield Wednesday shortly afterwards, with the club facing relegation from the Premiership.

Richards had fired Big Ron and had endless chances to remove "Fancy Dans" Wilson not least of which the 8-0 thrashing at Newcastle United in the game between the bottom two in the Premier League.

Newcastle had fired their manager, brought in Bobby Robsomn and survived that season.

Sheffield Wednesday in contrast drifted to relegation at the end of the 1999-2000 season and have never returned to the Premier League since.

Meanwhile Richards left SWFC, took up his role at the Premier League to earn a small fortune.

I never in all my life thought that I would hear someone like Nillson lauding Sir Dave "The Rat" Richards.

• Thanks 1

Think Dave Richards overall has a mixed record with Wednesday. Our best days in my lifetime were when he was chairmen, brought in Big Ron and gave him and Francis money to bring in some fantastic players.

However made a few average decisions with managers and jumping ship at the end to get job as Premier League chairmen leaves a nasty taste in the mouth.

12 minutes ago, Owls Loyal said:

I never in all my life thought that I would hear someone like Nillson lauding Sir Dave "The Rat" Richards.

I wouldn’t say I’m lauding him. My view would be similar to mattthefish above.

But in your original post you only made reference to him not sacking Wilson and his elevation to the chairman of the premier league. I just think you have to balance that with the success he brought to the club when assessing his overall record as chairman. There were some heady days for Wednesday with Richards at the helm and for the first 5 years he spent money a lot more shrewdly than DC has done

5 hours ago, casbahowl said:

I question him quite often but I question more the people like yourself, Farrell, Black, Blenkinsop etc. who have an almost pathological hatred for the man from the comfort of your armchairs!

I have as much respect  for Chansiri..

As you have for Liam Palmer..

Pathological  hatred tho :tango:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

Correct me if you can but when was Dave Richards ever an owner. Richards was chairman, spending the money of someone else, kind of takes the pressure off.

In terms of promises didn't he say he'd make Wednesday bigger than Manchester United ever were. A charlatan and careerist who use Wednesday as his personal vehicle to the top !

And don’t forget the Charterhouse debacle!

1 hour ago, casbahowl said:

And don’t forget the Charterhouse debacle!

That was a crazy scheme to get money into the club - which did actually get money into the club short term as opposed to Clubfucking1867 which is a crazy scheme that achieved two tenths of sweet FA. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Belfast Owl 2 said:

Just seen figures bandied about saying 100 million or 200 million quid has been spent on him

Do these people have evidence and figures to back this up?

Or is it easy to chuck about a big figure to skew an argument?

Look at the accounts