Start from scratch

Get rid of everyone whose out of contract in the summer (except fox)

Sell both bannan and reach for whatever money we can get 

Loan/sell Rhodes 

Build a team on the cheap that can compete midtable/lower league til we can compete again with the top 6 

I can accept midtable football if it shows we have a plan in place and players with honesty and fight for the club 

Relegation would be a disaster 

• Like 1

I completely understand the sentiment of the OP but if our fall from grace from the premier taught us nothing else, it taught us that dropping down the leagues does not guarantee the highly paid, hardly played mercenaries/players we’ve recruited leave. 

But I’d love us to clear the decks of almost everybody. Bannan, Fessi, Hutch, Rhodes, Westwood must cost us in excess of 5m per season. All are ageing, declining in value and ability, and the only way we seemingly get rid is their contracts expiring.  They are just 5, if you chuck in Winnal, Fletcher, Lee, Lees into the mix that’s 9 first team players that are on the way down rather than on the way up, many of whom tarnishing their legacy here. 

About the only prospect worse than relegation this season, is relegation next season. Yet this is a real danger should our legal contest with the EFL result in an embargo in the summer window, and a points deduction next year.  The thought of starting 21-22 in League 1 is chilling.

Relegation  to league 1 would cripple us we w0uld lose nearly all the sky money turnover would plummet , look at bolton bury portsmouth coventry etc . Even pigs spent 6 years there without been in the financial mess were in .we need to stay up this season hopefully with a 12 point hit done this season. Let all the players out of contract go in summer , but it wont be easy ,we wont have any funds to buy anyone so its out of contract players only and loans. 

7 hours ago, IWEDFM said:

I know I will get negged to death for this but what our club needs is relegation to League One. Let's take the EFL 12 point hit and start over. It is soul destroying seeing the state we're in on and off the pitch. Let's be honest things couldn't be going any worse and seeing what the other lot from across the City are doing just compounds our misery even further

This hurts but they deserve all the credit in the world. They are a club transformed in every sense of the word. Not only are they in the Prem but they are competing with the best. They gave both Liverpool and City a right go and could easily have come away from those matches with something. Seeing them pull of £22m International signings just rubs salt in the wounds

This post is not about them but about us. We need a complete overhaul. I couldn't give a rats back side if we are in the Prem or League Two as long as we have a team to be proud of. It has got to the point where I am sick to the back teeth of seeing the same names on the teamsheet week after week, season after season. Most have been here for years and it's time they are moved on even if that means selling them on the cheap or releasing them. We need to start again from zero. Build a new young side and if that means getting relegated then so be it. I want another side like the one we had back in 2004. Unproven youth with a point to prove. I was so proud of that side. Bullen, Heckingbottom, Whelan, Brunt, MacLean etc. They were so passionate and you could see what it meant to them playing for Sheffield Wednesday

DC has made mistakes granted but he does have the club at heart otherwise he wouldn't have spent the money he has and would have sold us. He needs to learn from those mistakes and put people in charge with football experience who know how to run a club. As for Monk, it's hard to critisise him when he hasn't been able to bring in his own players

Like I said above, things need to change both on and off the pitch and if it takes another relegation for that to happen then i'd accept that 

Can you just remind me exactly, how dropping into League 1 will benefit anything?

What a stupid stupid thing to suggest! In fact, please delete your Owlstalk account and never come back!

7 hours ago, IWEDFM said:

Let me clear one thing up I don't want relegation but what I meant to say was i'd accept it if it meant we could start afresh 

Do you think if we get relegated all the FFP problems go away? The slate is wiped clean?

Because if you do, you are very wrong. It would just make it a dead cert that we would be getting a huge points deduction whilst in league one. So probably end up in league two.

So on that basis, if rather we tread water in this league and rebuild slowly until we can spend again. Like Forest have done.

Relegation to League one!!!

Wow, be careful what you wish for.

Nothing will change until our owner realises two or 3 things. things.

1) The biggest asset this club has is it's supporters. Always had been, and always will be.

2) A realisation that he needs to surround himself with trusted advisors with a track record of success in their field.

3) Reverts to point 1 as a reminder.

When you're trying to climb a mountain you don't do it by dropping to a lower ledge.

We are a Championship side. Let's stay that way at least for now until we consolidate and cement our position. THEN build on that.

Start with the Youth Academy. Get some real talent coming through the ranks. Sheffield is a big city. Lots of untapped potential in and around us.

Get the finances sorted back to a level keel. Build on strength, not resort to weakness and a position of least resistance.

so sorry but NO to dropping to league one.

Guest LittleG
7 hours ago, WelshOwl74 said:

Get rid of everyone whose out of contract in the summer (except fox)

Sell both bannan and reach for whatever money we can get 

Loan/sell Rhodes 

Build a team on the cheap that can compete midtable/lower league til we can compete again with the top 6 

I can accept midtable football if it shows we have a plan in place and players with honesty and fight for the club 

Relegation would be a disaster 

Sounds good on paper but not sure it's as simple as that.

When we dropped out of the prem 20 years ago there was no long term plan. If we'd said then that we would rebuild the club, sign and bring through younger players and develop the academy but that it would take 5 years until we were competitive again, no-one would have accepted it and wouldnt accept it now. Football is all about short termism and instant success. Most people were pleased when Chansiri was throwing money around and it nearly worked but ultimately, we would have been better investing that money in the long term future of the club and recruiting the right manager to do that. That's what we need to do now but it's difficult to do when there's such an outcry when we lose  just 1 game and constantly criticise players and managers. There's too much pressure for instant success but if the club had a clear plan and outlined it to the fans, maybe they would buy into it and support the club more, particularly if there were signs it was starting to work. 

I agree with the general gist of the OP that things have turned a bit sour recently and we need a rethink on how the club is run on and off the pitch.
But I wouldn't go as far as to say we need to be relegated. 
Look at Sunderland I bet some of there fans were saying how being in league 1 for a season might not be such bad thing and now they are into the 3rd season which is likely to go to a 4th season at least.

20 hours ago, IWEDFM said:

I know I will get negged to death for this but what our club needs is relegation to League One. Let's take the EFL 12 point hit and start over. It is soul destroying seeing the state we're in on and off the pitch. Let's be honest things couldn't be going any worse and seeing what the other lot from across the City are doing just compounds our misery even further

This hurts but they deserve all the credit in the world. They are a club transformed in every sense of the word. Not only are they in the Prem but they are competing with the best. They gave both Liverpool and City a right go and could easily have come away from those matches with something. Seeing them pull of £22m International signings just rubs salt in the wounds

This post is not about them but about us. We need a complete overhaul. I couldn't give a rats back side if we are in the Prem or League Two as long as we have a team to be proud of. It has got to the point where I am sick to the back teeth of seeing the same names on the teamsheet week after week, season after season. Most have been here for years and it's time they are moved on even if that means selling them on the cheap or releasing them. We need to start again from zero. Build a new young side and if that means getting relegated then so be it. I want another side like the one we had back in 2004. Unproven youth with a point to prove. I was so proud of that side. Bullen, Heckingbottom, Whelan, Brunt, MacLean etc. They were so passionate and you could see what it meant to them playing for Sheffield Wednesday

DC has made mistakes granted but he does have the club at heart otherwise he wouldn't have spent the money he has and would have sold us. He needs to learn from those mistakes and put people in charge with football experience who know how to run a club. As for Monk, it's hard to critisise him when he hasn't been able to bring in his own players

Like I said above, things need to change both on and off the pitch and if it takes another relegation for that to happen then i'd accept that 

The only good thing to come from going down would be the parachute payments, especially if we went straight back up at first attempt we would also then get parachute payments going back up, probably get us out of all FFP problems with money left to buy players!

Just playing devils advocate here ya know!       :rolleyes: