Start from scratch

I know I will get negged to death for this but what our club needs is relegation to League One. Let's take the EFL 12 point hit and start over. It is soul destroying seeing the state we're in on and off the pitch. Let's be honest things couldn't be going any worse and seeing what the other lot from across the City are doing just compounds our misery even further

This hurts but they deserve all the credit in the world. They are a club transformed in every sense of the word. Not only are they in the Prem but they are competing with the best. They gave both Liverpool and City a right go and could easily have come away from those matches with something. Seeing them pull of £22m International signings just rubs salt in the wounds

This post is not about them but about us. We need a complete overhaul. I couldn't give a rats back side if we are in the Prem or League Two as long as we have a team to be proud of. It has got to the point where I am sick to the back teeth of seeing the same names on the teamsheet week after week, season after season. Most have been here for years and it's time they are moved on even if that means selling them on the cheap or releasing them. We need to start again from zero. Build a new young side and if that means getting relegated then so be it. I want another side like the one we had back in 2004. Unproven youth with a point to prove. I was so proud of that side. Bullen, Heckingbottom, Whelan, Brunt, MacLean etc. They were so passionate and you could see what it meant to them playing for Sheffield Wednesday

DC has made mistakes granted but he does have the club at heart otherwise he wouldn't have spent the money he has and would have sold us. He needs to learn from those mistakes and put people in charge with football experience who know how to run a club. As for Monk, it's hard to critisise him when he hasn't been able to bring in his own players

Like I said above, things need to change both on and off the pitch and if it takes another relegation for that to happen then i'd accept that 

Edited by IWEDFM
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Big change is needed. However, dropping into league 1 doesn’t give us a fresh start it just increases the chances of us ending up in league 2....given our direction of travel is currently backwards.

Quite literally everything is wrong with us at the moment and things need to change at the highest level first. That could be DC selling or an easier fix is to employ people that know what they are doing.

Edited by Morepork

Relegation from the Championship would be a disaster. Can you really see a quick bounce back and a 'United style' rise? If you can then I think you're living in cloud cuckoo land to be honest. What the club needs to do is formulate a plan to deal with this division. Don't waste money on too many players of the same demographic and build a squad with a mixture of youth and experience. Relegation would set us back, Premier League prices for League One football, a fanbase that is already restless. I wouldn't be confidant we'd return any time soon to be honest.

16 minutes ago, IWEDFM said:

I know I will get negged to death for this but what our club needs is relegation to League One. Let's take the EFL 12 point hit and start over. It is soul destroying seeing the state we're in on and off the pitch. Let's be honest things couldn't be going any worse and seeing what the other lot from across the City are doing just compounds our misery even further

This hurts but they deserve all the credit in the world. They are a club transformed in every sense of the word. Not only are they in the Prem but they are competing with the best. They gave both Liverpool and City a right go and could easily have come away from those matches with something. Seeing them pull of £22m International signings just rubs salt in the wounds

This post is not about them but about us. We need a complete overhaul. I couldn't give a rats back side if we are in the Prem or League Two as long as we have a team to be proud of. It has got to the point where I am sick to the back teeth of seeing the same names on the teamsheet week after week, season after season. Most have been here for years and it's time they are moved on even if that means selling them on the cheap or releasing them. We need to start again from zero. Build a new young side and if that means getting relegated then so be it. I want another side like the one we had back in 2004. Unproven youth with a point to prove. I was so proud of that side. Bullen, Heckingbottom, Whelan, Brunt, MacLean etc. They were so passionate and you could see what it meant to them playing for Sheffield Wednesday

DC has made mistakes granted but he does have the club at heart otherwise he wouldn't have spent the money he has and would have sold us. He needs to learn from those mistakes and put people in charge with football experience who know how to run a club. As for Monk, it's hard to critisise him when he hasn't been able to bring in his own players

Like I said above, things need to change both on and off the pitch and if it takes another relegation for that to happen then i'd accept that 

They are one of the few clubs not to score in either game against a fragile City defence this season and hardly had a shot on target or many shots off target in both games against them with very little possession. Just because Wilder says they back down to no one and will always give it a go doesn't mean this is the case. It was pretty much the same story at Anfield and although the gave Liverpool a game at home, Liverpool spurned plenty of chances they usually take.

Wilder has done an exceptional job but there's no need to pour platitudes where they are not needed. 

But as your post was about us.....why do we need to get relegated? Surely we can have a clear out and a fresh start without the need to go down? You say you are sick to the back teeth of seeing the same names season after season? In the abysmal display at Wigan we had a young keeper who only started playing regularly last season, 3 players at the back who have been here less than a full season and another in Fox who hasn't been here many years and is improving. In midfield we had two wide players who have been with us half a season. Up front everyone accepts we need something new but our best player this season has been a striker who has been here for some time now but is injured. 

Over half the team at moment are relatively new on the team sheet. 

5 minutes ago, IWEDFM said:

Let me clear one thing up I don't want relegation but what I meant to say was i'd accept it if it meant we could start afresh 

Perhaps shouldn't have started you opening post with this sentence then:

"I know I will get negged to death for this but what our club needs is relegation to League One"

:ghoulguy:

Majority of the long stayers are out of contract at end of season - perfect chance to wipe the slate clean for a fresh start. No need for relegation, that would set us back even further, we just need to get a fresh squad together and consolidate as a good hard to beat Championship team and build from there. 

Personally think we should adopt the Brentford approach - develop players, sell them and reinvest into team whilst the team steadily improve each season. 

1 hour ago, IWEDFM said:

We've tried getting relegated before this century and the season after isn't usually all that pretty:

2000/1 = 17th

2003/4 = 16th

2010/1 = 15th

We've also got promoted a couple of time, and the season after is usually even worse!

2005/6 = 19th

2012/3 = 18th

• Thanks 1

I never seen our fan base compare and look over at the other team in Sheffield as much in all my life.  Losing to them at Hillsborough and sacking of CC not long after confirmed my thoughts that some of our fans are turning all pig.  Bitter and twisted. 

Sad.  Stay true. We are The Wednesday.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, S63 Owl said:

Personally think we should adopt the Brentford approach - develop players, sell them and reinvest into team whilst the team steadily improve each season. 

Indeed. They not only develop players for sale but also recruit players who they consistently sell on a season or two later. Despite this, as you say, they continue to improve, are hard to beat and play good football, and after losing managers to other teams. These player and manager changes never seem to disrupt them and they never use it as any excuse - they just push on.

I’d love to see a comparison of the value of their sales compared to ours over the last 10 years as it will reveal one of our major issues financially. And how much did Wilder spend to achieve two promotions? 

We have to recruit better and know when to sell, even if it might be one or more of our best players. 

Edited by Daz