Jimmy Mullen

Started in midfield then went to left back and finished up centre half when he beefed up and was skipper for a while ....was a decent player in the 3rd division but once big jack signed mick Pickering his days were numbered .. ..had a number of years as a manager at various clubs one of which was burnley who's fans took a dislike to him so much the tried to set fire to his wife .

12 minutes ago, torryowl said:

Started in midfield then went to left back and finished up centre half when he beefed up and was skipper for a while ....was a decent player in the 3rd division but once big jack signed mick Pickering his days were numbered .. ..had a number of years as a manager at various clubs one of which was burnley who's fans took a dislike to him so much the tried to set fire to his wife .

Wow thats just crazy.....

4 minutes ago, torryowl said:

Google jimmy Mullen burnley wife for the full story .. ..

Thanks - just gone out and had a look at that.  Madness when you ask the quality of player and its leads to stories like this.  I thought the situation with Man Utd and Woodward was a beyond crazy but its seems like the stupid minority have always been there, 

3 hours ago, Owlinmad said:

Not the most gifted but always gave 100% and would run through a brick wall when wearing the shirt.

Probably about the millionth person to say or think this, but sounds that the type of person with the characteristics we could do with right now 

6 hours ago, Owlinmad said:

Not the most gifted but always gave 100% and would run through a brick wall when wearing the shirt.

5 hours ago, Ibbo48 said:

In my opinion, a very limited, one dimensional footballer ( sorry Jimmy ) who compensated for it with total commitment.

A reminder of the really ‘ dark days ‘

6 hours ago, Owlinmad said:

" always gave 100%, would run through a brick wall when wearing the shirt",  " compensated for it with total commitment"...………………………………………………………….. A much better proposition than some of the "players" who are milking the club now.

" a very limited one dimensional footballer"...……………………………………………...…………….Very similar to some "players" who are milking the club now.

3 minutes ago, asteener1867 said:

I think it was Mullen who scored a header from the furthest out ive ever seen...I want to say 'Boro at Hillsbro'......

I recall him scoring a cracking goal at Millmoor against toy town, think he joined them not long after. 

Edit.. 

Sat 13 Oct 79  Rotherham United........ 2-1    18,500   Terry Curran, Jimmy Mullen
Edited by bradowl

6 hours ago, brian joicey said:

made his debut at hull on boxing day 4-4

once lost his chain/pendant at the kop end when he went up for a corner .... and found it again years later !

scored winner away at rotherham 79ish ??? 

* these are out of my memory so details may be sketchy   

that 4-4 was some game mate …….if owlstalk had been about then I cant imagine the meltdown there 'd be …….

7 hours ago, Rogerm78 said:

Looking through an old box of programmes passed down to me I've come across a Jimmy Mullen Testimonial Brochure. He's a player before my time so generally just looking for stories feedback on a player who dedicated over 10 years to our special club. Fond memories?

JM.jpg

I’m sure he played in Jack Charlton’s team that got promoted from the old Div 3. 

Scored the winner in a 2-1 win at Millmoor. Raucous times. I couldn’t see a thing but another great day out none the less.

7 hours ago, brian joicey said:

made his debut at hull on boxing day 4-4

once lost his chain/pendant at the kop end when he went up for a corner .... and found it again years later !

scored winner away at rotherham 79ish ??? 

* these are out of my memory so details may be sketchy   

Didn't David Sunley also make his debut in that game?