Alessio Da Cruz

We only have to look across the city to see that there are young homegrown players - who are already settled in the English football culture - hungry to prove a point. Not saying this won't work, but past history and current policy doesn't fill me with much optimism. 

Edited by AwokenGiant

17 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

If you're implying he's not Monk's signing...he probably isn't. But then, he shouldn't be. That's why you have a recruitment team to assess what's out there. What is the point of having Downes & Hughes unless we source this type of signing? 

That’s the formula that got us into this mess 

Monk must have input before and during aquasition. 
only the financials and term of contract should be out of his hands 

27 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

If you're implying he's not Monk's signing...he probably isn't. But then, he shouldn't be. That's why you have a recruitment team to assess what's out there. What is the point of having Downes & Hughes unless we source this type of signing? 

Surely Monk should have a say on every single signing, a manager needs to work with players be believes in and wants. This sort of thing has bit us before. 

18 hours ago, fpowl said:

I hope the club has given monk a brief on how they want to play and the ethos of the club or as accepted monks vision and ethos and are giving him time to change it like I say I think every manager needs two summer windows to Really be judged 

Teams like Bristol, Brentford, Southampton etc.... can change their manager but they stay true to the vision and culture of the club and recruit a manager to take over and progress 

it’s like we don’t know what we are or what we want so we just employ the next guy and when that doesn’t work within 12-18 month we go on to the next and the cycle starts again 

how can a manager come in during the season with players on 6month-4year contracts expect to instil his methods and vision into players of they can’t or won’t be receptive to them 

this is why I always say two summer windows you would of hope some of the players could have adapted to the managers style and mentality where others contracts would gave been run down or released 

I would love us to start recruiting players and managers to fit in with the style and how we want to be represented as a club. Get really fed up with, "players don't fit his system", "need a massive clear out of personnel" etc. We can't have a sustainable business model using this type of player/manager acquisition unless we luck it and get into the Premier League. That's looking like a massive pipe dream at the moment though, we are just as close to relegation as to promotion. 

I do like the Southampton method where they already know who they would like in charge if the current manager leaves and also players that fit in to how the club wants to play. . 

12 minutes ago, sMacLean said:

Brizzle getting Wells. Would be great here but high fee for nearly 30. 

That's a decent signing for them. Of course the fee is high for his age, but Bristol have sold well in recent years and have money to spend on short term assets. Always good for a few goals.

Shame though, could have had Rhodes for that :ph34r:

Guest wilyfox
12 minutes ago, hugeowl said:

That’s the formula that got us into this mess 

Monk must have input before and during aquasition. 
only the financials and term of contract should be out of his hands 

Well  that's not true. Bruce brought them in less than a year ago. This is the first time we've had experienced recruiters identifying players, rather than parasite Paixao.

3 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

Surely Monk should have a say on every single signing, a manager needs to work with players be believes in and wants. This sort of thing has bit us before. 

I suspect Monk will profile the type of player he needs to complement the group. Recruiters go find. This is only the second window we've had recruiters. 

Why are we automatically assuming that Monk has no say in who comes and who goes?

We might have 'recruiters', at one time they were called 'scouts' ,who would suggest possible new recruits, having watched them, and knowing what the Manager's ideas were  This doesn't mean that the Manager has no say whatsoever in recruitment.

Guest wilyfox
1 minute ago, Buxtongent said:

Why are we automatically assuming that Monk has no say in who comes and who goes?

We might have 'recruiters', at one time they were called 'scouts' ,who would suggest possible new recruits, having watched them, and knowing what the Manager's ideas were  This doesn't mean that the Manager has no say whatsoever in recruitment.

I didn't say he had no say. Recruiters provide options. 

If we had signed this player when we were 3rd we would be lauding the signing 

If bristol city/brentford/fulham had made this signing we would have been bemoaning our lack of foresight into foreign leagues

Seems much of the criticism I've read on this are more down to the current environment and circumstances surrounding the club at present rather than an objective assessment of his qualities and development needs

He may be great, he may be a flop but base the signing on his performances rather than the state of the club he joins

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chris Apolon said:

If we had signed this player when we were 3rd we would be lauding the signing 

If bristol city/brentford/fulham had made this signing we would have been bemoaning our lack of foresight into foreign leagues

Seems much of the criticism I've read on this are more down to the current environment and circumstances surrounding the club at present rather than an objective assessment of his qualities and development needs

He may be great, he may be a flop but base the signing on his performances rather than the state of the club he joins

Very sensible.

You're not from round here are you?

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, paddyowl said:

A proven goalscorer at Championship level would do for starters but then I was very happy when we signed Jordan Rhodes (Like 99% of us) so nothing is set in stone, even Wickham would come with questions over fitness but I would take him over Da Cruz every day of the week.

A proven goalscorer at this level is a rare commodity and as you say nothing is set in stone (I applaud you about Rhodes as  80% warned us about signing him apparently, I was pleased with his signing). 

We need to ship one or two forwards out before signing a proven goalscorer to balance the books and there is no queue for our superstars, so the best we can hope for is to uncover a gem. 

I share your pessimism but we are where we are. 

Fingers crossed (which seems to be our plan at the moment)

2 hours ago, wilyfox said:

Well  that's not true. Bruce brought them in less than a year ago. This is the first time we've had experienced recruiters identifying players, rather than parasite Paixao.

I suspect Monk will profile the type of player he needs to complement the group. Recruiters go find. This is only the second window we've had recruiters. 

You must have inside knowledge 

to make those assumptions.

ps Paixo is still around