Alessio Da Cruz

10 hours ago, fpowl said:

Hot headed foreigner getting shipped across from overseas as a whiff of cantana about it and how I wish manager that better 

we’ve also had an hot headed foreigner well schooled in Italy with the name of Di Canio and I’d donate my left testical to have his passion back on the pitch right now 

we say we should look at the lower leagues and foreign market 

we say we should look at younger players 

we say we should look at cheaper options 

we go in for a young foreign winger allegedly on loan and I’m guessing then a free or minimal fee at end of season who we have no doubt scouted and yet owlstalk verdict is it’s not good enough 

only on here 

I know nothing about this guy mainly because I’m a caterer not a football scout I wouldn’t critisze this transfer until I know more about it but mainly until I’ve seen him play in our shirt 

this could quite easily be the bargain find where we benefit from his mistakes rather than the car crash some of us are writing him off as already 

If we knew Monk or the new team in charge of transfers were responsible I think a lot more posters would be happy. This has a whiff of Paxo about it.

I'm happy to give the lad a chance but 3 sendings off does seem a bit excessive. If he was playing in England we could find out what he was sent off for. in Italy we might not. There's a bit of difference in getting sent off for a couple of yellows cauused by mistimed tackles and getting set off for punching an official or other player.

Anyway he's here now so we will soon get to have a look at him.

3 minutes ago, A12owl said:

Monk said something like....

" The club tell me there are one or two near"

Doesn't he know who they are or what the situation is regards their signing?

A bit of a worry.

You don't think Monk is sat down negotiating transfer/loan fees and wages with players do you? He gives the list of players he wants, they go out and try to strike a deal.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, A12owl said:

A bit of a worry.

Or is it a case of, the manager gives a list of people he is interested in or positions to reinforce to the chairman/ board etc and they do the negotiating. 

I suspect managers don't deal with the minutiae of the deals, so perfectly plausible that he wouldn't know much more than a deal is near or a no go. 

Guest addedtime
3 minutes ago, JLB99 said:

Or is it a case of, the manager gives a list of people he is interested in or positions to reinforce to the chairman/ board etc and they do the negotiating. 

I suspect managers don't deal with the minutiae of the deals, so perfectly plausible that he wouldn't know much more than a deal is near or a no go. 

We have a winner.

Guest Ferkorf
6 minutes ago, TINKERBELL said:

That's 2 we might have then.is anyone going to Blackpool soon to buy a kiss me quick squeeze me slow hat

Seriously I hope he proves us all wrong and smashing goals in for fun

Just 2? Lol

47 minutes ago, Owlsbornanbred said:

Leicester signed Riyad Mahrez from the French 2nd division for £400k. Similar to Knockaert. Every so often a gem is unearthed from an obscure league. 

This kid could be a success or complete failure at Wednesday, but the type of signing we are now in the market for is unlikely to be a household name. Any signing we make who you've heard of is likely to either be a crock or over the hill (see George Boyd). 

We might already have Reach, Harris and Murphy, but they are inconsistent and have a limited skill set. If this new kid is rapid and skillful, but a bit mardy - I'll take that if it gives us a bit of an x factor when the game has slowed to a snails pace and we are lumping hail mary passes to whichever number 9 is playing. 

When was the last gem we signed that then made it.

I can only think of 3 in the last 25 years Brunt free from Boro, Whelan free from Man City and Majid Bougerra who we signed for £300k and sold for £2.5m 6 months later.

I cannot think off any others that we signed and sold for loads more than we paid.

14 minutes ago, A12owl said:

A bit of a worry.

I suspect he knows full well who the players are & what the situation is.  He's said before he doesn't like to mention names until there's something concrete to tell. His "The club tell me there are one or two near" is just fobbing off the journos.

I'm presuming the process will be Monk telling the 2 recruitment guys that Bruce set on the positions he wants to strengthen & the player profile he requires.  The recruitment guys will source players fitting the profile & Monk will then pick the ones he prefers. It's then up to the recruitment guys & financial people to try & get deals done.

Just now, room0035 said:

When was the last gem we signed that then made it.

I can only think of 3 in the last 25 years Brunt free from Boro, Whelan free from Man City and Majid Bougerra who we signed for £300k and sold for £2.5m 6 months later.

I cannot think off any others that we signed and sold for loads more than we paid.

We doubled our money (at least) on Lucas Joao. I think we might have done so with Michail Antonio as well. Not sure if they qualify as budget finds though.

But overall it's a horrendous catalogue of failure dating back at least two decades.