No Snowflakes Up on the Moors - #OnThisDay 1976

Guest Ferkorf

I remember my Grandad telling me stories of this.

Also he loved to tell me about when Howard Wilkinson used to make them do cross country down Ewden Village and the back whacks of stocksbridge

Probably what players miss today, a military style beasting to humble them

Edited by Ferkorf

Tony Tom's used to drink in the shoulder of mutton in Worrall when he lived up there. It was my local at the time, and quite regular Big Jack was in there with him. Both of them loved chatting and having a pint with the  fans. Tony had some Reyt stories about the things he made the players "suffer"  in training. He said his methods sorted the men from the boys. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Ferkorf said:

Also he loved to tell me about when Howard Wilkinson used to make them do cross country down Ewden Village and the back whacks of stocksbridge

Imagine the players agents up in arms if their clients were made to do that now a days. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

Tony Tom's used to drink in the shoulder of mutton in Worrall when he lived up there. It was my local at the time, and quite regular Big Jack was in there with him. Both of them loved chatting and having a pint with the  fans. Tony had some Reyt stories about the things he made the players "suffer"  in training. He said his methods sorted the men from the boys. 

Was Tony an ex Commando? Absolute no nonsense character. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Ferkorf said:

My late  Father, after retirement, used to walk around Ewden dam twice a day.

He regularly saw Wilkinson and the players running around there. Some of them used to pass the time of day with him, as they passed by.

Yes, it does seem a lifetime away. Different game, different era.

• Like 2

From a Royal Marine Website  - 2018

Keeping the spirit alive (Tony Toms)

02/01/18

Having achieved the Green Beret, the inevitable next step in the ego-tripping scenario, was to become a Physical Training Instructor. However, I had my first stint as a foot-Marine in Aden.

‘The Radfan’ etc was my first experience of active service as such. I also came across Sandy McVicar, who was my company Sgt Major in Y Company of 45 Commando. Having had my first bullet whistle about 5 yards above my head (in anger, of course) I realised that the fighting aspect of being a Royal Marine Commando was definitely 100% not for me. Cowardice is very easy to admit to now, but of course at the time, I pretended that it was all in the line of duty. Having shat myself every time we went up country, I was ecstatic when my year in Aden was over!

By the way, during my time in Aden, Sandy McVicar had definitely a positive effect and influence on the young Tony Toms, in his learning and manner, and his natural leadership ability. He corrupted me with the opposite sex in the then ‘VIPs Only Bureika Club, a club served for the Oil people and Sandy and me, because we played rugby for the Combined Services Middle East – so we were mini stars!

I began my TWOs course in 1965 along with Len Scott, a bright lad; Fred Cummings, then in the British Judo Squad, a real trier; Mac McKenzie, very smart and a good vaulter; Alex Lynn, a good rabbiter. I haven’t mentioned all the others, not because I didn’t love them as I did all the rest – all great guys with their own reasons for wanting to become a PTI.

Fred and I were blessed with the inability to absorb the medical terms of physiology and we’d had a buzz that the inner ear would be in the exam, so we conspired to copy the inner ear, ossicles and all, on toilet paper and carefully rolled it back up so it was in the third toilet, waiting to be exploited. My chances of being scarred during the exam were negligible but Fred was in the British Judo team – good credibility. He was duly allowed to go to the toilet. I waited with baited breath for his return, as he was to write it down and then pass it to me. After ten minutes I looked at him with a quizzical look and he looked back at me in the way only a brainless person can do! He then scribbled something on his paper and dropped it on the floor. I dutifully picked it up ready to start copying the inner ear, only to read the following: ‘Sorry, mate, I’ve really gone blank. I can’t remember. I really can’t!’ I hated Fred Cummings with vengeance from then on. So I was delighted when during our Qualifying celebration, PU Maurice Logue, who weighed about 3 stone at the time, floored Fred in a Judo contest breaking Fred’s thumb as well. Delighted I was!

While I’m at it, it’s strange that all the people who were helped the most by the Corps and the Physical Training Instructor Wing don’t seem to come back for the reunion – to pay homage if nothing else. Like professional football clubs, the Branch is always bigger than any individual.

I learnt that lesson very quickly in my professional football days. I was Jack Charlton’s right-hand man for seven years at Sheffield. Wednesday visiting CTCRM a number of times as a privilege we both appreciated. However, having saved the club from the lower end of the Third Division into the Premier, and change a 3 million-pound debt into a 2 million in the black, to reach two semi-finals, to be asked to resign, was a hell of a wakening up period for me. I related to a conversation in a pub in Sheffield a few years later when a supporter was singing my praises and the supporter opposite him said: ‘Tony who?’ That’s how quick it is, like that, no you can be thankful you’ve been there, looking back. I am a very proud man that I belonged to the PT branch for so long. The branch in particular gave me empathy that chance to put yourself in other people’s shoes, especially where pain and other people’s physical and mental distress are on the line. A great lesson for anyone.

I am writing this from East Timor where I am currently trying to earn a living, so bear with me as the facilities to write are zero where I am. I hope to see you all at the next PT Reunion!

Tony Toms

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Justbeanz said:

Remember Tony Toms having a gym above the tyre shop at Sheffield Lane Top on Hatfield House Lane. Bit of a lad if I remember rightly.

I worked in the butchers shop next to the tyre shop...defo bit of a lad and some of the stories would make you wince...

• Like 2

That Chester game was a real let down. We scored both goals in  the opening 10 minutes then did sod all for the rest f the match!

As ever with Wednesday it's the hope that kills you!

• Like 1

There was another fantastic cartoon came out of that, think it was Ulyett in the Express. Basically one of the players being barbecued with the others saying "it's for the sake of the team!" or something similar.

I know the club used to have a couple of the originals framed in the boardroom.

• Like 1