433 or 442?

Guest domSWFC

Guest domSWFC

This season we've mixed it up between variations of these formations, but where are we strongest?

433 - seems to offer the best balance, with Murphy and Harris out wide, Luongo & Bannan in midfield with Reach just ahead. But without Fletcher, we lack anyone capable of playing a focal point as a centre forward. 

442 - offers more options upfront, but we lack the right balance of creativity and defensive solidness in midfield. 

If you were to choose, which system would you play and who makes the line up? 

Said it many times before that its not necessarily the formation that makes a difference. Its about the players battling for it, winning 1st and 2nd balls, being positive and available etc. Its also a lot to do with how the opposition play and match up against you. 

We aren't a good or strong enough team to impose our own tactics on the opposition so thats why we chop and change formation to try and cause then more problems and to suit our chosen 11. 

Therefore its impossible to say which formation is better because there isnt an answer. Sometimes we'll play better and match up better in a 442, sometimes a 433 etc.

Guest wilyfox

Depends what business we do between now and deadline. We don't have the wing-forwards for 4-3-3. We don't have a potent strike-pairing for 4-4-2. Arguably need a CM upgrade to make this team more consistent as well. 

3-5-2 or 4-2-3-1?

Dawson

Borner

Lees

Fox

Odubajo

Bannan

Iorfa - cdm

Luongo

Reach

Winnall

Nuhiu

Or

Palmer

Borner

Iorfa

Fox

Hutch

Luongo

Murphy

Bannan

Reach

Winnall

Edited by trev

Guest Ferkorf

If fletchers not fit then I'd rather have 2 upfront...

To be fair Im not really a fan of 451 or 433 and yes as someone pointed out last week to me....

All the best teams in Europe play that way...

But they have messi mbappe ronaldo etc...

We have fletcher harris Nuhiu etc

My opinion is we don’t play 433 we play 451 as we have wingers rather than wide forwards. 

So because of that we need to play 2 up front. So 442 for me. 

Id like us to become a more possession based team which would allow us to play Bannan wide left which I think is his best position and where we will get the best out of one of our best players. 

But we need 2 strikers in this window.

I think you can have a reasonable discussion about the ways we are able to play with the players we have. But it's naive to say should we play this way or that way in a binary sense because there are so many factors involved.

Good teams adapt, they can change it up, keep the opposition guessing. For me thats much more important.

Yesterday was a great example. On paper we were fielding a much weakened team, but there was a very specific plan. Playing with the two defensive midfielders looking to stifle QPR's most dangerous player, Eze. Break up play, win the 50/50's get to the second balls and look to utilise our pace on the wings with a view to delivering crosses for Winnall and Rhodes. We were exceptional (Hutch) in particular in nullifying the threat from Eze, he only really got in to the game once Hutch went off injured. We set up in a way that gave us the best chance of winning, not necessarily in a way that utilised all our "best" players.  

Well done Monk. 

Edited by Morepork
  • Like 1