What Is Our Problem Playing At Home?

4 hours ago, gurujuan said:

I’m hoping Monk will bring in a bit more invention, and not just replicate Fletcher. Yes we need to replace Fletcher, but we still had this problem when Fletcher was fit

we need to add more than one player up top, to cover for fletcher, and someone to work off the main striker.

3 hours ago, torres said:

nonsense 

Against Leeds we were better because the players put it in from minute 1 and had the mindset for a battle 

Against the teams you mentioned they failed to do it 

The atmosphere comes when you put that ethic into the game 

At forest the away noise isn’t that great due to lack of numbers and position - yet we won 4-0. 

Nothing to do with atmosphere one bit 

of course an encouraging home atmosphere is better for the players than people doing the opposite and shouting 'YOU'RE F*****G S*** ******, F*** OFF SOMEWHERE ELSE', BOOOOOO!

it's far easier to do good work when fully 'encouraged' to do so, NOT guaranteed by any means, but easier.

3 hours ago, S36 OWL said:

We need to get at teams right from the kick off at home to get the crowd going. Too many times this season we havnt got going until the second half. 

age of the team, and lack of decent cover in the squad in terms of attacking options for 2 games a week football..

59 minutes ago, dorian gray said:

of course an encouraging home atmosphere is better for the players than people doing the opposite and shouting 'YOU'RE F*****G S*** ******, F*** OFF SOMEWHERE ELSE', BOOOOOO!

it's far easier to do good work when fully 'encouraged' to do so, NOT guaranteed by any means, but easier.

not once did I mention abuse!

To be fair there is more abuse away if anything when things are not going well 

If it were only results that weren't quite matching good performances, I'd be slightly less worried, but as it is good performances at home have been few and far between.

It's probably Monk's most pressing task at the moment, in fact, to try to find a successful formula for our home games.

Mind you, we have still (just about) taken more points at home than away, and it's worth pointing out that both WBA and Leeds have taken more points away than at home - with WBA in particular having a problem at home that stretches back a number of seasons, so it's not as though we don't have good company in this regard.

Any tv highlights from Hillsbro make it look like it's empty, even though we always get 22,000 plus.

Long term- I'd close the grandstand and get more fans in the South.

I'd also close the top tier of the North so the lower tier is always full.

And reprofile the West stand into one level (unless we're planning to knock it down) and get away fans nearer the goal.

Even better, I'd drop the ridiculous POTG prices and then we would have some atmosphere, like we used to.

4 minutes ago, Lincs Owl said:

Any tv highlights from Hillsbro make it look like it's empty, even though we always get 22,000 plus.

Long term- I'd close the grandstand and get more fans in the South.

I'd also close the top tier of the North so the lower tier is always full.

And reprofile the West stand into one level (unless we're planning to knock it down) and get away fans nearer the goal.

Even better, I'd drop the ridiculous POTG prices and then we would have some atmosphere, like we used to.

Why would we?? 
Used to? When?

Good atmosphere against Leeds, players turned up, part timers didn’t. 

Edited by torres

2 minutes ago, Mr Farrell said:

Things will start to get a bit better when the high proportion of over 45's who add very little, get too old to come.

Read online that we have the second oldest and quietest home support after Bournemouth in English football.

lol

If I was going to make up some demographic related to old age, I'd have probably plumped for Bournemouth too. Maybe a bit too obvious though?

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, torres said:

Why would we?? 
Used to? When?

Good atmosphere against Leeds, players turned up, part timers didn’t. 

Really Torres mate...whats a part timer?

Is it someone who can only afford a certain amount of games..So comes against such as Leeds rather than Brentford...?...Cos thats what i'd do....

Is it a supporter who virtually had enough of 2 decades of crap so turns up in an erratic sorta way when the fancy takes him?..Cos I can understand that

How far back do you want to take the "Truefan" rubbish?

Do you want Hillsborough peopled by an ardent 16'000 ..or do you want it heaving with a mix of every f.ooker who is a Wednesday fan?

Theres no future in alienating anyone.....If we want this club to move forward you have to accept that ALL the Wednesday fans cannot for various reasons tip up EVERY week

I..in no way doubt your ardour for Wednesday...but I reckon...If an Owl exile wandered back...You would ask.

....." Where have you  been?"

When the proper response is

"Welcome back mate"

Edited by asteener1867
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Mr Farrell said:

Things will start to get a bit better when the high proportion of over 45's who add very little, get too old to come.

Read online that we have the second oldest and quietest home support after Bournemouth in English football.

link?

Thought not lol

• Haha 2

Guest Ferkorf

@Mr Farrell is bang on here.

Hillsborough is actually like a morgue.

Start off with the Hi Ho silver lining song then its like a 45 minutes silence till everyone chins it off for an overpriced bovril or warm Heineken.

All it takes is a stray pass in the first 5 minutes for most fans to turn negative and start moaning.

Most laughable thing about these types of fans is they were there when Gilbert, Lescott, Beswetherick and co played...

They were there when Bothroyd, Donnelly and Proudlock played....

Some even remember who Michael Morrison and Dan jones are.... (I Didn't)...

But yet they made more noise back then...

And moaned a hell of a lot less...

5 minutes ago, Ferkorf said:

Start off with the Hi Ho silver lining song then its like a 45 minutes silence till everyone chins it off for an overpriced bovril or warm Heineken.

All it takes is a stray pass in the first 5 minutes for most fans to turn negative and start moaning.

Most laughable thing about these types of fans is they were there when Gilbert, Lescott, Beswetherick and co played...

Yea..Cos its years later...and nowts changed..Its like when you do yer  kitchen up..."Oooh it looks great"...

.............3 years later.

..............its yer f.ookin' kitchen

• Haha 4

6 minutes ago, asteener1867 said:

Really Torres mate...whats a part timer?

Is it someone who can only afford a certain amount of games..So comes against such as Leeds rather than Brentford...?...Cos thats what i'd do....

Is it a supporter who virtually had enough of 2 decades of crap so turns up in an erratic sorta way when the fancy takes him?..Cos I can understand that

How far back do you want to take the "Truefan" rubbish?

Do you want Hillsborough peopled by an ardent 16'000 ..or do you want it heaving with a mix of every f.ooker who is a Wednesday fan?

Theres no future in alienating anyone.....If we want this club to move forward you have to accept that ALL the Wednesday fans cannot for various reasons tip up EVERY week

I..in no way doubt your ardour for Wednesday...but I reckon...If an Owl exile wandered back...You would ask.

....." Where have you  been?"

When the proper response is

"Welcome back mate"

I want people to turn up as regularly as possible 

You make it sound like all season ticket holders are millionaires. 

People don’t turn up as much as they can’t be bothered as they can’t afford it. 

Of course football is too expensive and I hate the prices more than anyone and don’t expect people to go to every match but if the 42k that turn up for Wembley can afford that, maybe a few less glamorous games might not be beyond them. 

If it’s your club, then support it - no??

Maybe I expect too much. 

5 minutes ago, Ferkorf said:

Spot on.

Never seen as many tartan blankets, flasks and tins of travel sweets in all my years at S6.

They seem to think a feeble hi ho sheff wed and a 30 second clap while sucking on a wurthers is job done. Then it's off back to the Volvo 5 minutes before the end moaning that the team hasn't turned up again.

Time to wake up and smell the Horlicks.

• Haha 2

Guest Ferkorf
2 minutes ago, asteener1867 said:

Yea..Cos its years later...and nowts changed..Its like when you do yer  kitchen up..."Oooh it looks great"...

.............3 years later.

..............its yer f.ookin' kitchen

Yeh but at least when you get the painter and decorator in its not Esajas and Sodje tipping up to do the job lol