Alex Hunt - Nothing Compares 2 U

Guest Grez Bez

Coming on CM is a lot different than full back, wing it even up top.

Your the heartbeat of the team and very visible.

The comments on size is an dated mentality. He's 19 so will fill out; Football is hardly a contact sport anymore.

Guest Grez Bez
12 hours ago, malek said:

Sadly I didn't get to see enough of O'Brien or Dawodu to form an opinion.

Wrote few times on here how much I like what I've seen of Conor Grant so far. Got excellent footwark and is so calm in possession making it hard for oposition to press him into giving ball away. Not ready for first team football, but would like to see him involved bit more with first team due to potential I believe he got.

Another one is Liam Waldock. He is Hunt's CM partner in U-23's team. Tigerish in tackle and good on the ball, always looks to play forward pass after winning possession. Capable of running with the ball past "first block" as well. What ever he does he does with urgency "if that makes sense". Even further away from first team level then Grant, though.

Hunt and Grant are the two I think will make it.

Then again I never saw much in Urhoghide and he's done well; I guess you can never know what is happening behind the scenes.

Not seen enough of O'Brien

Local lad comes on again buzzing and finds out he has a thread on owlsralk

featuring as a sub in an away tie in the cup in which we won 

and half of the thread is saying he’s not ready, he’s too small, he’s not put not weight on for a year. Looks like competition winner. 

how about we gave game time to one of our own in a game we won. He looked like he equipped himself ok and I hope he can get more first team football probably on loan as his chances at the moment will be limited 

well done hunt and keep it up 

our coaching staff work with him every day I’d hope they have a better understanding of what he needs for his development 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fpowl said:

Local lad comes on again buzzing and finds out he has a thread on owlsralk

featuring as a sub in an away tie in the cup in which we won 

and half of the thread is saying he’s not ready, he’s too small, he’s not put not weight on for a year. Looks like competition winner. 

how about we gave game time to one of our own in a game we won. He looked like he equipped himself ok and I hope he can get more first team football probably on loan as his chances at the moment will be limited 

well done hunt and keep it up 

our coaching staff work with him every day I’d hope they have a better understanding of what he needs for his development 

It's a discussion forum. Everyone wants him to do well however people are free to voice their thoughts about a player, would be boring it there were no opinions given.

On 26/01/2020 at 08:45, LSOwls said:

Coming on CM is a lot different than full back, wing it even up top.

Your the heartbeat of the team and very visible.

The comments on size is an dated mentality. He's 19 so will fill out; Football is hardly a contact sport anymore.

So true the clowns that be told Vardy he was too small .

There's something in most sport called Relative Age Effect. Ie the kids born in the early part of the selection window progress as they are usually bigger and stronger, but not always better.

But being big and strong and fast means you get more ball time and more time to impress.

A lot of the top academies are looking to reduce the the RAE influence by bio bandning so they don't miss out on those who might be binned off for being too small. 

Give the lad some time... Look at someone like Andy Murray, always getting cramp etc and being too skinny when he was young. Then turned in to a bit of a beast (hip notwithstanding!)

On 26/01/2020 at 12:43, Ellis Rimmer said:

It's a discussion forum. Everyone wants him to do well however people are free to voice their thoughts about a player, would be boring it there were no opinions given.

There’s boring and there’s this he’s a young lad I would bet my mortgage those saying such tripe wouldn’t say it to his face or his parents 

A young lad thats come through the academy making another appearance in a game we won should only be met with positivity 

this lad will read this as a proud moment as will his friends as will his family I see nothing positive from some of our so called fans.

i get the over critical reviews from those who find it very easy to raise their opinion from a keyboard on seasoned professionals but as supporters of our club surely the minimum expectation from us in this young lads development is to support 

no wonder more don’t make first team football earlier we’d kill them off before they get started because their facial hair isn’t strong enough yet 

32 minutes ago, fpowl said:

There’s boring and there’s this he’s a young lad I would bet my mortgage those saying such tripe wouldn’t say it to his face or his parents 

A young lad thats come through the academy making another appearance in a game we won should only be met with positivity 

this lad will read this as a proud moment as will his friends as will his family I see nothing positive from some of our so called fans.

i get the over critical reviews from those who find it very easy to raise their opinion from a keyboard on seasoned professionals but as supporters of our club surely the minimum expectation from us in this young lads development is to support 

no wonder more don’t make first team football earlier we’d kill them off before they get started because their facial hair isn’t strong enough yet 

Are you actually trying to suggest that the management and coaching staff are that concerned about a few negative comments on here that they limit the first team opportunities for the youth players?

1 hour ago, fpowl said:

Well it would be rather impolite to start and critique his game to his parent so I bet you're right most people on here wouldn't do that.

He has had a fair few positive comments including from myself so it's not all one way. However if they were all bad then it's not the fault of the fans.

Wednesday fans do support him on the pitch, everyone wants him to do well, but opposition players won't go easy on him because he's a young lad, so why wouldn't fans give their real opinion?

I don't think any players have failed due to Owlstalk and if they do blame the forum they probably need to take a look at themselves.

2 hours ago, cowl said:

Are you actually trying to suggest that the management and coaching staff are that concerned about a few negative comments on here that they limit the first team opportunities for the youth players?

Id say this is a consideration yes 

we talk about players and playing in the right environment and protecting them is important in their development this is why they are bedded in. Players are trained very early on in the impact or social media and behaviour and how to act and react to become a professional and have mental strength so I 100% say this sort of thing is considered

if you look at that interview urhoghide did after his first game he was on cloud 9 and you would encourage and Chanel that 

confidence is massive in football and mental strength is something that’s built upon over time 

if your suggesting somebody the comments on here wouldn’t effect the lads confidence id disagree. As fans we play a massive part to encourage and discourage and I think every club in the world today has had to adapt to the positive and negative effects That effect players on social Platforms and we’re no different 

we live in a world where it is easy to be critical on online. Even on here you can see how dome responses effect posters than others 

fans forums is part of today’s football it’s the way of the world and if they are over critical about a player rightly or wrongly it may have an adverse effect on their performance so yes I’d say anybody bedding in a new player would take this into account you would be foolish not to their humans not numbers on a payroll or a player on championship manager 

2 minutes ago, fpowl said:

Id say this is a consideration yes 

we talk about players and playing in the right environment and protecting them is important in their development this is why they are bedded in. Players are trained very early on in the impact or social media and behaviour and how to act and react to become a professional and have mental strength so I 100% say this sort of thing is considered

if you look at that interview urhoghide did after his first game he was on cloud 9 and you would encourage and Chanel that 

confidence is massive in football and mental strength is something that’s built upon over time 

if your suggesting somebody the comments on here wouldn’t effect the lads confidence id disagree. As fans we play a massive part to encourage and discourage and I think every club in the world today has had to adapt to the positive and negative effects That effect players on social Platforms and we’re no different 

we live in a world where it is easy to be critical on online. Even on here you can see how dome responses effect posters than others 

fans forums is part of today’s football it’s the way of the world and if they are over critical about a player rightly or wrongly it may have an adverse effect on their performance so yes I’d say anybody bedding in a new player would take this into account you would be foolish not to their humans not numbers on a payroll or a player on championship manager 

But the self-policing that goes on on here has always been more than adequate. Fans that are ridiculously critical are, in a sense, dealt with, and when you take a step back from any thread this is usually quite clear.

I actually hope the club actively discourages the players from coming on here. It quite simply is not their environment. In fact, I'd be surprised if there's any club that would be fine about their players going onto fans' forums.

So, as such, I disagree that forums are a part of today's football. I don't think it's part of the sport at all. Forums are for fans. Twitter's different, of course, but Twitter isn't a forum.

I'd never want footballer's coming on here because I think it would kill it's value. So, I don't believe the hypothetical write-as-though-the-player-you're-criticising-is-reading approach is one that should be considered at all. It's a bad idea.

14 minutes ago, cowl said:

But the self-policing that goes on on here has always been more than adequate. Fans that are ridiculously critical are, in a sense, dealt with, and when you take a step back from any thread this is usually quite clear.

I actually hope the club actively discourages the players from coming on here. It quite simply is not their environment. In fact, I'd be surprised if there's any club that would be fine about their players going onto fans' forums.

So, as such, I disagree that forums are a part of today's football. I don't think it's part of the sport at all. Forums are for fans. Twitter's different, of course, but Twitter isn't a forum.

I'd never want footballer's coming on here because I think it would kill it's value. So, I don't believe the hypothetical write-as-though-the-player-you're-criticising-is-reading approach is one that should be considered at all. It's a bad idea.

I would think that a club would actively discourage players from coming on here but players would still do so it’s human nature plus it will filter back thats also human nature 

players coming through the academy local lads like cammy for example will have been more aware of what’s been said and not said on forums like this way before half of us have had the opportunity to pass comment on them before making a first team appearance again it’s human nature in today’s world 

I would imagine most footballers would own games like championship manager and fifa and check out their ratings and values and have that changing room banter it’s human nature

i also remember being at owls in the park one year and watching the players introduce the next player by singing their song attey introducing semedo was hillarious 

they are well aware of opinions and discussions on what happens amongst fans in some part it’s unavoidable. And as much as clubs try and protect the negative exposure especially in younger players and coach them to manage such negativity I also think we as fans can be proactive in our approach it will never happen it’s they way of the modern world and I completely agree we as a forum have a nack of shooting down those being over negative 

my point is some of the comments about hunts appearance was so much more negative and come be much more damaging to a player his age that needed to be 

I think as supporters this is where we let ourselves down 

young lad from academy made a decent appearance  Away from home in a game we won - shower that kid in confidence and let him grow. That would be my view and what I’d deem as positively supporting the club and player especially in the circumstances 

1 hour ago, fpowl said:

I would think that a club would actively discourage players from coming on here but players would still do so it’s human nature plus it will filter back thats also human nature 

players coming through the academy local lads like cammy for example will have been more aware of what’s been said and not said on forums like this way before half of us have had the opportunity to pass comment on them before making a first team appearance again it’s human nature in today’s world 

I would imagine most footballers would own games like championship manager and fifa and check out their ratings and values and have that changing room banter it’s human nature

i also remember being at owls in the park one year and watching the players introduce the next player by singing their song attey introducing semedo was hillarious 

they are well aware of opinions and discussions on what happens amongst fans in some part it’s unavoidable. And as much as clubs try and protect the negative exposure especially in younger players and coach them to manage such negativity I also think we as fans can be proactive in our approach it will never happen it’s they way of the modern world and I completely agree we as a forum have a nack of shooting down those being over negative 

my point is some of the comments about hunts appearance was so much more negative and come be much more damaging to a player his age that needed to be 

I think as supporters this is where we let ourselves down 

young lad from academy made a decent appearance  Away from home in a game we won - shower that kid in confidence and let him grow. That would be my view and what I’d deem as positively supporting the club and player especially in the circumstances 

If it can be so easily dismissed as mere 'human nature' that a player will come on here to see what is written about them, then it should be just as easily accepted that some fans on here will express themselves in an unfiltered way.

And as I say, it's rare for such excessive comments to pass unchallenged. Which is a good thing and part of what makes the site work as well as it does.

But really, there is a reality of being a professional footballer that needs to be got to grips with very quickly; much of what you hear from the fans (qua fanatics) is, quite simply, not balanced. This pre-dates the internet and modern media. This isn't a modern issue.

This is part of the challenge of becoming a footballer and it can hardly be sugar-coated. Managing the 'presence' of the crowd is something they just have to get to grips with, but then again it's just another aspect of that which binds all sportsmen anyway, which is that much of the challenge is purely mental.

It's ultimately just fanciful to suppose that we can create an ideal environment for young footballers in which to play first team football. Opposition players certainly won't be accommodating and that much is understood. A young player's confidence will take a hit more than once. It's inevitable as it's the nature of sport. But it's the dealing with it that matters.

And dealing with what gets said about them online is something that they need to get to grips with pretty quickly too. If it affects their confidence then so be it. The next challenge for them will be to get over it. But this is a normal challenge for a professional sportsman and one that they're typically expected to get over. They'll quickly wise up to the fact it's far better to avoid fans forums.

Ultimately, for me, after a game I like to come on here talk about the game. Sometimes it's to revel in a great result, sometimes it's to air frustrations - and sometimes both (because the two needn't be mutually exclusive). If a young kid made his debut (or 2nd or 3rd appearance etc...), I'll assess how he's played. I'll consider his youth and level of experience and the circumstances under which the game is played - but then again, I would do so for any player anyway. If I think they've struggled, I'll say so, and if they've done well I'll say that also (as so many of us did about Urhoghide after Brighton and Leeds). I won't say he's not struggled when I think he has just because he might be reading. I think that's preposterous. This is a forum for the fans. There are boundaries. If players can't respect that, then let them learn the hard way.

Guest LondonOwl313
2 hours ago, cowl said:

If it can be so easily dismissed as mere 'human nature' that a player will come on here to see what is written about them, then it should be just as easily accepted that some fans on here will express themselves in an unfiltered way.

And as I say, it's rare for such excessive comments to pass unchallenged. Which is a good thing and part of what makes the site work as well as it does.

But really, there is a reality of being a professional footballer that needs to be got to grips with very quickly; much of what you hear from the fans (qua fanatics) is, quite simply, not balanced. This pre-dates the internet and modern media. This isn't a modern issue.

This is part of the challenge of becoming a footballer and it can hardly be sugar-coated. Managing the 'presence' of the crowd is something they just have to get to grips with, but then again it's just another aspect of that which binds all sportsmen anyway, which is that much of the challenge is purely mental.

It's ultimately just fanciful to suppose that we can create an ideal environment for young footballers in which to play first team football. Opposition players certainly won't be accommodating and that much is understood. A young player's confidence will take a hit more than once. It's inevitable as it's the nature of sport. But it's the dealing with it that matters.

And dealing with what gets said about them online is something that they need to get to grips with pretty quickly too. If it affects their confidence then so be it. The next challenge for them will be to get over it. But this is a normal challenge for a professional sportsman and one that they're typically expected to get over. They'll quickly wise up to the fact it's far better to avoid fans forums.

Ultimately, for me, after a game I like to come on here talk about the game. Sometimes it's to revel in a great result, sometimes it's to air frustrations - and sometimes both (because the two needn't be mutually exclusive). If a young kid made his debut (or 2nd or 3rd appearance etc...), I'll assess how he's played. I'll consider his youth and level of experience and the circumstances under which the game is played - but then again, I would do so for any player anyway. If I think they've struggled, I'll say so, and if they've done well I'll say that also (as so many of us did about Urhoghide after Brighton and Leeds). I won't say he's not struggled when I think he has just because he might be reading. I think that's preposterous. This is a forum for the fans. There are boundaries. If players can't respect that, then let them learn the hard way.

I was the one who criticised his stature and physique for a centre mid.. was basically just a comment but then people reply and there’s back and forth, that’s why it’s a forum.

Would also say it’s exceptionally difficult to make it as a footballer. You need to be thick skinned and able to take a bit of criticism and negative opinions. Problem on here is that people are bipolar.. new signing or youth team player plays, does ok, and then they’re going to the very top or are premier league quality. We’ve seen it will Dawson, Urgohide and now this lad. Also the same with the likes of Murphy, Luongo and others when they came in. Then inevitably they have a bad game like Urgohide had against Blackburn and there’s some criticism from the same people or the brown nosing at least dries up.

Its like most things in life, if you want to improve then you need to know your weaknesses and work on them. What’s the point in ignoring them. Listen to the Class of 92 speak and they’re very self critical and they were top players. There’s no point in saying all the players can do no wrong and sucking up.

My view is his needs to work on his physique as otherwise he’ll get pushed off the ball too much in centre mid. It’s probably why we haven’t seen more of him already. I’ll leave it up to Monk to decide what’s what, and good luck to the lad.. would support him whenever he’s wearing the shirt.