Alex Hunt - Nothing Compares 2 U

Guest LondonOwl313
1 minute ago, torryowl said:

not seen him in the buff but for all we know he may be 9 stone of muscle …...the club seem happy enough to give  him a contract that you don't think he's big enough I respect but you aint coming from a position of strength . 

Lol that made me laugh.. 9 stone of muscle is still tiny. I agree he must have something about him to have even come this far, but it doesn’t look like we’re close to putting him in the team ahead of any of the other centre mids who haven’t exactly pulled up any trees this season. Sean Mcallister was a similar player, had good pedigree on the ball but never went on to do anything in the game as he didn’t have the physical presence to be a centre mid 

3 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Lol that made me laugh.. 9 stone of muscle is still tiny. I agree he must have something about him to have even come this far, but it doesn’t look like we’re close to putting him in the team ahead of any of the other centre mids who haven’t exactly pulled up any trees this season. Sean Mcallister was a similar player, had good pedigree on the ball but never went on to do anything in the game as he didn’t have the physical presence to be a centre mid 

he may or may not make a career but that will be down to ability not his size …...3 examples Fulham wouldn't sign ron springett coz they said he wasn't big enough as did Donny rovers with kevin keegan ….the youth coach at Bradford city said ian ormondroyd  will one day play for England …...ability is all that matters . 

20 minutes ago, torryowl said:

from what ive seen only young O'Brien as impressed me …..I did rate preston 2 years ago but he seems to stalled .

Sadly I didn't get to see enough of O'Brien or Dawodu to form an opinion.

Wrote few times on here how much I like what I've seen of Conor Grant so far. Got excellent footwark and is so calm in possession making it hard for oposition to press him into giving ball away. Not ready for first team football, but would like to see him involved bit more with first team due to potential I believe he got.

Another one is Liam Waldock. He is Hunt's CM partner in U-23's team. Tigerish in tackle and good on the ball, always looks to play forward pass after winning possession. Capable of running with the ball past "first block" as well. What ever he does he does with urgency "if that makes sense". Even further away from first team level then Grant, though.

16 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Not really true about McAllister. He was mobile, worked hard but was at best painfuly awerage on the ball. Reminds more of Kirby than Hunt.

2 hours ago, torryowl said:

he may or may not make a career but that will be down to ability not his size …...3 examples Fulham wouldn't sign ron springett coz they said he wasn't big enough as did Donny rovers with kevin keegan ….the youth coach at Bradford city said ian ormondroyd  will one day play for England …...ability is all that matters . 

What was the name of that tiny keeper that played for them rams back in the day, Torry?  Think he was the smallest keeper in the league, butit didn't stop him being a good keeper.

6 minutes ago, cognacbarnowl said:

What was the name of that tiny keeper that played for them rams back in the day, Torry?  Think he was the smallest keeper in the league, butit didn't stop him being a good keeper.

les green ?.....

You have to be a bit careful about muscle development in terms of gym work because it can and does serve to slow the body down.  I know the modern technique with boxers is endurance training rather than weight training, precisely for this reason.. Presumably someone small would rely heavily on turn of pace and isn't going to outmuscle someone in the nuihu mould regardless of how strong they are (remembers the cyril regis/gordon strachan anecdote). 

2 hours ago, torryowl said:

Hajduk Split turned down Luka Modrić because he was too small, instead they signed couple of inches higher youngster who is now long retired...

28 minutes ago, Anlaby Owl said:

You have to be a bit careful about muscle development in terms of gym work because it can and does serve to slow the body down.  I know the modern technique with boxers is endurance training rather than weight training, precisely for this reason.. Presumably someone small would rely heavily on turn of pace and isn't going to outmuscle someone in the nuihu mould regardless of how strong they are (remembers the cyril regis/gordon strachan anecdote). 

For last ten years clubs test blood of young players, and with results explained to me in detail (that I wont share on here) they explained who will end up as more explosive, and who will have more stamina reserves. Nothing is left to the chance any more...

3 minutes ago, malek said:

For last ten years clubs test blood of young players, and with results explained to me in detail (that I wont share on here) they explained who will end up as more explosive, and who will have more stamina reserves. Nothing is left to the chance any more...

No that’s completely wrong but I cannot share it on here 

lol

1 hour ago, cognacbarnowl said:

I think we once dumped some guy called Vardy? for being too small didn't we,  FFS  :bullen:

Don’t quote me on this but I think Vardy was released by us because he had the wrong attitude - there was no doubt about his talent. He then found himself in amateur football leading to semi-pro football; he realised the opportunity he’s missed and turned himself around (albeit under licence for an offence when at Stocksbridge Park Steels). 

Ian Wright spent significant time trialing at some southern clubs as a youth but was passed over; there’s the famous story of Chris Waddle getting wide interest from league clubs but getting no takers (and having to work in a sausage factory and play semi-professional) until he was about 20 years old before Newcastle “gambled” on him; I think that Mark Bright was similar in terms of interest but no takers. 

My point is here is that professional football is littered with instances of successful players being released or not taken on by clubs as youths. Every club will have not kept or not recruited players they should have - Sheffield United decided to take Alex Sabella instead of Diego Maradona for heavens sake.  

4 hours ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Everyone keeps saying this but aren’t naming any who are as small as this kid. Messi is over 11 stone. This kid is 9 stone something, and is playing a position on the pitch where physicality is important. It’s his build that’s the issue rather than just his height. He needs to get in the gym to give himself a chance.. not a good sign that he doesn’t appear to have gained any muscle at all since Sunderland in August 2018. 

Everyone complains that BB can’t play in a two etc because he’s too small and that we need a ‘midfield beast’. People have massive biases on here when it comes to our players and particularly the ones born locally. It’s probably part of the reason why we’re a stagnant nothing club for the last 20 years, the acceptance of mediocrity.

Ladbrokes (http://ladbrokes.touch-line.com/Player.asp?lang=&coid=82&teid=235&plid=277917) reckon he's 64kg. Though not sure why Ladbrokes are weighing everyone. A few players who are lighter than that and can also play a bit:

Lucas Torreira - 61kg

Jesse Lingard - 60kg

Joao Moutinho - 60kg

Dries Mertens - 61kg

Takashi Inui - 59kg

Aaron Lennon - 62kg

Alexis Sanchez - 62kg

Riyad Mahrez - 61kg

Fabien Delph - 60kg

Mason Holgate - 63kg

Manuel Lanzini - 59kg

Emanuele Giaccherini - 60kg

Alan Wright - 61kg

Barry Bannan - 60kg

Juan Mata - 63kg

Even Messi was listed at 65.7kg when he was around Hunt's age and played in the 2006 World Cup. George Best was 65kg before he discovered the booze and fags.

5 minutes ago, Emerson Thome said:

Ladbrokes (http://ladbrokes.touch-line.com/Player.asp?lang=&coid=82&teid=235&plid=277917) reckon he's 64kg. Though not sure why Ladbrokes are weighing everyone. A few players who are lighter than that and can also play a bit:

Lucas Torreira - 61kg

Jesse Lingard - 60kg

Joao Moutinho - 60kg

Dries Mertens - 61kg

Takashi Inui - 59kg

Aaron Lennon - 62kg

Alexis Sanchez - 62kg

Riyad Mahrez - 61kg

Fabien Delph - 60kg

Mason Holgate - 63kg

Manuel Lanzini - 59kg

Alan Wright - 61kg

Barry Bannan - 60kg

Juan Mata - 63kg

Even Messi was listed at 65.7kg when he was around Hunt's age and played in the 2006 World Cup. George Best was 65kg before he discovered the booze and fags.

Fabien Delph is a player that can play in a midfield two and get stuck in. Danny Wilson is 5’ 6” and must have been around 60kg when he played and he dominated midfield; I wonder how heavy Graham Hyde was when he played in our midfield.  

56 minutes ago, Emerson Thome said:

Lucas Torreira - 61kg

Jesse Lingard - 60kg

Joao Moutinho - 60kg

Dries Mertens - 61kg

Takashi Inui - 59kg

Aaron Lennon - 62kg

Alexis Sanchez - 62kg

Riyad Mahrez - 61kg

Fabien Delph - 60kg

Mason Holgate - 63kg

Manuel Lanzini - 59kg

Alan Wright - 61kg

Barry Bannan - 60kg

Juan Mata - 63kg

What's that in real money?

5 hours ago, Emerson Thome said:

Lucas Torreira - 61kg

Jesse Lingard - 60kg

Joao Moutinho - 60kg

Dries Mertens - 61kg

Takashi Inui - 59kg

Aaron Lennon - 62kg

Alexis Sanchez - 62kg

Riyad Mahrez - 61kg

Fabien Delph - 60kg

Mason Holgate - 63kg

Manuel Lanzini - 59kg

Alan Wright - 61kg

Barry Bannan - 60kg

Juan Mata - 63kg

Maybe you could find a few players who seem to have a similar level of ability?

Of course elite level talent can balance out anything.

Guest Kameron

We need to end this fascination with midfield midgets. I don’t wont to wee wee in the young lads chips but if he’s getting game time at championship level we may as well pack up and call it a day.