Alex Hunt - Nothing Compares 2 U

He didn’t get in the game at all so I don’t see how anyone can say he played well  - but that doesn’t mean he won’t improve.

it’s another example of the ridiculous decision of all teams to abandon reserve teams.

He is 19 years old but played like a 15/16 year old getting a run out.

Guest Grez Bez

Coming on CM is a lot different than full back, wing it even up top.

Your the heartbeat of the team and very visible. Must have been hard with Joey too, as keen as he is his positioning is abysmal; if only his partner was Hutch

He's s very tidy player and plays well with Kirby (Kirby does the hard work, Hunt does the fancy stuff)

Edited by Grez Bez

Guest Ferkorf
9 hours ago, cowl said:

So every player that has ever been picked for the first team is at the level of performance required for the first team merely by virtue of the fact they've been picked?

Were all the kids Luhukay started picking last season at first team level? We've barely seen them since. In fact, I believe Hunt's appearance tonight is the first of that batch since Luhukay left with the exception of Thorniley (who's 23 after all).

He's 19. It's not like by saying he's not ready yet that it's being said he'll never be ready.

We brought him on because we had to due to an injury and the fact that all three central mids that started the last league game weren't even on the bench tonight. Otherwise he wouldn't all of a sudden have been making an appearance.

I believe the coaching staff do rate him highly, and obviously I hope he'll continue to progress, but as things stand right now he's not at the level.

If you want to ignore the way Eze waltzed past him to allow QPR's first shot on target, for example, then I'm just glad you're not picking the team. I don't doubt, by the way, that the coaching staff certainly will be pointing this lapse out to him. Could have been very costly.

Shouldn't have wasted your time explaining mate, Mr Hugeowl knows he read the post wrong but commented before hand. Now hes just trying to save face instead of just holding his hands up and saying sorry I got that wrong. Lol

19 hours ago, Dezzabezza said:

Great to see someone local coming through at last (I assume he is). It seems such a long time since we have - and for such a big city too. 

Born in Sheffield, seems to have been around for ages but still only 19, I remember him starting against Sunderland in league cup but got taken off at half time. 

Ferkof is right - he’s probably not at first team level and only made the cut due to Lee and Luongo being injured and Bannan being rested.

But he gave it a decent shot and will have enjoyed the experience. Hard to really judge how he would perform given a proper opportunity, but on first sight he’s probably a little way off getting that chance.

As others have said - if he is one of the ones closest to the fringes of the first team then he definitely looks like he needs a bit of time playing some proper first team football. 

Guest LondonOwl313

He's too small, can't see him making it as a pro. Small players who make it like Scholes had a bit of bite about their game but this lad looks like a child. At 19 he should have been smashing the gym to get an advantage... new bodybuilders can gain 20-25 pounds of muscle in year 1 yet this lad looks the same size as he did 18 months ago against Sunderland. So either he's not training properly or more likely he doesn't have the right genes for it.

It's harsh but it's the reality

Guest LondonOwl313
Just now, Salmonbones said:

Made the squad again for a different manager.

Hitting the gym only helps one aspect, not the overall aspect.

Slight players are able to make the grade.

Like who? there's being slight, say like Kieran Lee, and then there's been 9 stone odd. He's probably very decent on the ball but lacks the physicality to make the grade. 

38 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

He's too small, can't see him making it as a pro. Small players who make it like Scholes had a bit of bite about their game but this lad looks like a child. At 19 he should have been smashing the gym to get an advantage... new bodybuilders can gain 20-25 pounds of muscle in year 1 yet this lad looks the same size as he did 18 months ago against Sunderland. So either he's not training properly or more likely he doesn't have the right genes for it.

Some lads fill out late, time yet.

Bannan is hardly a giant on pitch and we don't find much wrong with him.

Well from what I've heard he's a ball playing centre mid but his best moments last night were all good defensive work.

But if he's able to bring his skills in and he's also capable of getting stuck in he could be useful, maybe he'll get a few more appearances here and there, he seemed to be gaining in confidence towards the end of the match and getting on the ball more.

52 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Messi was also a midget.

Good job it didn’t matter 

49 minutes ago, bradowl said:

Some lads fill out late, time yet.

Bannan is hardly a giant on pitch and we don't find much wrong with him.

In today's football mobility, first touch, quicknes of thought are all much more imprtant then how big or strong player is. It is only Mourinho who insists on playing big, strong central midfielders and it is not working great for him.

he looks so young maybe 14-15 once hutch went off and he came on from doing nothing(dawson didn't have a save) we got over run in midfield . I hope the lad makes it but he is miles away from 1st team maybe he is ready for a loan ? league 2 or national league for rest of season might do him good. 

1 hour ago, LondonOwl313 said:

it's harsh but its not a reality ….. lots of small players make a career out of football .

1 minute ago, torryowl said:

it's harsh but its not a reality ….. lots of small players make a career out of football .

Still, from what I've seen of him playing U-23 football he doesn't look ready for first team football.

My opinion counts for little but looking at our U-23 side, Hunt is not the one I would pin my hopes on to make it as a Championship player although I do hope that youngster will prove me wrong. In desperate need of first team football away from Hillsborough.

Guest LondonOwl313
11 minutes ago, torryowl said:

Everyone keeps saying this but aren’t naming any who are as small as this kid. Messi is over 11 stone. This kid is 9 stone something, and is playing a position on the pitch where physicality is important. It’s his build that’s the issue rather than just his height. He needs to get in the gym to give himself a chance.. not a good sign that he doesn’t appear to have gained any muscle at all since Sunderland in August 2018. 

Everyone complains that BB can’t play in a two etc because he’s too small and that we need a ‘midfield beast’. People have massive biases on here when it comes to our players and particularly the ones born locally. It’s probably part of the reason why we’re a stagnant nothing club for the last 20 years, the acceptance of mediocrity.

9 minutes ago, malek said:

Still, from what I've seen of him playing U-23 football he doesn't look ready for first team football.

My opinion counts for little but looking at our U-23 side, Hunt is not the one I would pin my hopes on to make it as a Championship player although I do hope that youngster will prove me wrong. In desperate need of first team football away from Hillsborough.

from what ive seen only young O'Brien as impressed me …..I did rate preston 2 years ago but he seems to stalled .

2 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Everyone keeps saying this but aren’t naming any who are as small as this kid. Messi is over 11 stone. This kid is 9 stone something, and is playing a position on the pitch where physicality is important. It’s his build that’s the issue rather than just his height. He needs to get in the gym to give himself a chance.. not a good sign that he doesn’t appear to have gained any muscle at all since Sunderland in August 2018. 

Everyone complains that BB can’t play in a two etc because he’s too small and that we need a ‘midfield beast’. People have massive biases on here when it comes to our players and particularly the ones born locally. It’s probably part of the reason why we’re a stagnant nothing club for the last 20 years, the acceptance of mediocrity.

not seen him in the buff but for all we know he may be 9 stone of muscle …...the club seem happy enough to give  him a contract that you don't think he's big enough I respect but you aint coming from a position of strength .