Quick throw-ins...

Does anyone remember that corner at Nottingham Forest in the 2016 season when Bannan went over to take it, tapped it slightly and then ran off as if letting someone else take it, then Forestieri went over to the ball and just dribbled it straight out from the corner flag. We nearly scored from it and I've never seen any other team do it before. It's not really related to this at all. Just set pieces in general. 

Edited by flo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We scored stacks of goils in our school team back in the 70s against oppos who didn’t seem to realise you can’t be offside from a throw in. We also had a general rule to throw it up the line so as to put pressure on them rather than invite it into us.

Lastly, inspired by Ian Hutchison at Chelsea, we  had no hesitation about long throws into the box which involved ‘doing a windmill’ with our arms to chuck it further.

These are the golden rules I tell thi. I would be happy to offer my services as Throw in coach but I’m not sure how I’d say that any differently before 46 matches. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Fox looked like a startled rabbit last night when he found the ball at his feet and the QPR defence allowing him to stroll in without a care.

Took the goal well to cap a very good performance .

I agree he looked startled, I was reyt up close in my no expense spared £5 seat - I thought he might be waiting for a whistle or summat - time seemed to stand still. 

Then again, there’s a fine line between aplomb and a plonker - our Morgan was the epitome of cool - maybe he will become the Fox in the box we thought Franny Jeffers would be. 

• Like 1

Agree with taking throw ins quickly, it should be down to the player and the moment - if it's on, it's on.

Clearly yesterday it was on, but that goal was quite a poor one to concede on so many respects that you can't really use it as a benchmark because it just would not happen 99 out of 100 times.

BUT - hell yeah stop slowing down our play by calling a throw in a set piece scenario. - just get it down the line as far as possible and do so in the manner you think best won't come straight back at us - it's simple!

A friend and myself have been saying for the last 10 years, maybe more, but unless the rules have changed, a player cannot be offside from a throw in.

So why, when we have a throw in at the opposition  end do we not have a player stood on the G/L, there for playing every one else online?.

Simple basic stuff.

On 25/01/2020 at 05:00, flo said:

Does anyone remember that corner at Nottingham Forest in the 2016 season when Bannan went over to take it, tapped it slightly and then ran off as if letting someone else take it, then Forestieri went over to the ball and just dribbled it straight out from the corner flag. We nearly scored from it and I've never seen any other team do it before. It's not really related to this at all. Just set pieces in general. 

Our Sunday team used to do it all the time. Best to tell the ref what you're doing otherwise they think you simply don't know the rules. 

2 hours ago, Brommers said:

Our Sunday team used to do it all the time. Best to tell the ref what you're doing otherwise they think you simply don't know the rules. 

Yeah, it’s a common trick has been for years. First person I saw do it was Ryan Giggs.

But yes, the ref has to be informed otherwise they’ll blow up. Only made that mistake once

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

Our throw ins are the epitome of us.

Slow, predictable and uninspiring. 

Get it back in play and crack on. Doesn’t have to create a chance, it just sets the tempo.

Could not agree more.

29 minutes ago, 31Dec1966 said:

Our throw ins have been awful for years, and we never seem to take a quick one, even when the other team are in disarray. In fact we never try anything unorthodox, or slightly bend the rules. We should be more innovative, nastier and quicker.....at everything

Years ago I used to be in awe of how we kept possession tight on the wing in close quarters, especially from throw ins but this was Big Ron era.   Can't remember thinking about it much ever since other than in recent times that our throw ins have generally been abysmal.

13 hours ago, Sultan_Pepper said:

Very interesting!

It would be at least good to see Monk give one of the coaches a special project of cluing themselves up about this guys methods with a view to getting something done about our throw-ins.

We've long used them as a chance for a breather and the only advantage we take from them is to steal a few yards up the touchline (which all too often is barely an advantage).

It's an area we need to work on seriously.

If nothing else, and as @McRightSide mentions above, it sets the tempo - something which for our side would probably be as useful mentally as it would be in terms of our speed of action.

On 25/01/2020 at 05:00, flo said:

17 hours ago, Brommers said:

As funny/clever as that is, I'm sure it should technically be against rule 12 for unsporting behaviour, since I'm not sure how it could be argued that it's fine to score a goal when your opposition don't even realise the ball is in play.

Some might claim that it's no different to taking advantage of a team not watching for a quick free-kick or throw-in, but being intentionally misleading with how you restart play is a bit different.

1 hour ago, Dan™ said:

As funny/clever as that is, I'm sure it should technically be against rule 12 for unsporting behaviour, since I'm not sure how it could be argued that it's fine to score a goal when your opposition don't even realise the ball is in play.

Some might claim that it's no different to taking advantage of a team not watching for a quick free-kick or throw-in, but being intentionally misleading with how you restart play is a bit different.

If the ref's blown his whistle, then the 'intention to mislead' would be a weak defence. After all, Chris Waddle would still have been working in his meat factory if his wing play would've been considered to be unfair to the opposition given how much he relied on the feign and dropped shoulder.

• Thanks 1