QPR - WEDNESDAY (FA CUP) omdt

After Saturdays performance, I think we showed some real

bottle, fair play to the lads for digging in. Yeah, we got a bit of luck for the first goal and during the last 20 minutes, but overall I thought we defended really well. The back 5 was solid. Murphy and Harris was constantly a threat, they just needed that little bit more quality in the final third. Fox was my MOTM. Absolutely superb tonight! Massive improvement from last week, but if we’re serious about the play offs, we need more improvements. Had QPR woke up earlier, it could have been a different result! This boot up field lark doesn’t work ever week Mr. Monk! Far to pedestrian at times. I know Winnall scored, but him, Rhodes and Pelupessy need to be better.

Onto Wigan - UTO

UTO

25 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

FT reflections:

Once again, Monk is slow to notice what is obvious to everyone else. We needed someone upfront for some presence 

Rhodes should be pensioned off 

Pelupessy is so far below the required standard it’s quite alarming. We folded in the middle when Hutch went off and it was actually Hunt that showed a bit more impact later on

Harris didn’t manage a successful cross all night. Not a single one.

Reach again proves why he should play on the left, and that he’s the best crosser at the club

Fox found the sub tricky but soon got to grips with him. Good performance

Lees MOTM

Nice finish from Winnall, and not a bad overall performance from him.

Dawson ruined what was otherwise a nice performance by him. 

Overall a good team performance compensated for a couple of poor individual ones 

I am never to be amazed that people like you that haven’t got a clue about the game try to talk with such authority about something they quite clearly don’t understand.

but it is amusing 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

bottle, fair play to the lads for digging in. Yeah, we got a bit of luck for the first goal and during the last 20 minutes, but overall I thought we defended really well. The back 5 was solid. Murphy and Harris was constantly a threat, they just needed that little bit more quality in the final third. Fox was my MOTM. Absolutely superb tonight! Massive improvement from last week, but if we’re serious about the play offs, we need more improvements. Had QPR woke up earlier, it could have been a different result! This boot up field lark doesn’t work ever week Mr. Monk! Far to pedestrian at times. I know Winnall scored, but him, Rhodes and Pelupessy need to be better.

Onto Wigan - UTO

UTO

30 minutes ago, Pablo Bonvin said:

Good result. Well played tonight. Wish I knew which one was the real Sheffield Wednesday.

Bad news though is that it means I’ll have to endure The One Show on Monday to see the 5th round draw, which will probably be shoehorned in between articles on morris dancing in the Scottish highlands and some pensioners in Somerset who are addicted to jam. Investigative journalism in its pomp.....

Morris dancing is English ffs.

Edited by Fast Forward

2 minutes ago, Fast Forward said:

Morris dancing is English ffs.

It may be, but you can bet those plucky intrepid researchers at The One Show will uncover that hidden enclave in the foothills of Ben Nevis where it is regularly practiced. Just watch on Monday.  It’s a shoe-in.:biggrin:

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Dylan93 said:

Onto Wigan - UTO

UTO

Every player needs to be better if we want to be the best in any scenario?

Not at all surprised by tonight's result. Recent results look bad on paper, but anybody who has been watching our performances all season knows we are not that far away (remember Rhodes's hat trick at Forest and look where they are). The Blackburn result was an outlier and the shocking refereeing decision was part of it. If we stop all the usual Owlstalk moaning every time we get a bad decision and just get behind Monk and the lads, we have as good a chance as anybody of making something of this season. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great reaction tonight,closed down and won 2nd balls,found space and moved the ball quicker looked a lot more switched on tonight,cant criticise any of those on the pitch tonight,very good allround team performance and everyone played their part,really pleased for Sam Winnall that should give the kid a big boost.

Not an easy place to visit and I wasnt expecting a win in all honesty,so really chuffed tonight.

Just wish we could be more consistent in our performances

Away from home, we are decent.

Not always pretty, but we are resolute and slowly but surely work our way into games. Did it again tonight and I thought deservedly got the win.

Really need to sort out our home form. It is costing us. 

38 minutes ago, Pablo Bonvin said:

It may be, but you can bet those plucky intrepid researchers at The One Show will uncover that hidden enclave in the foothills of Ben Nevis where it is regularly practiced. Just watch on Monday.  It’s a shoe-in.:biggrin:

What else is practised in the foothills of Ben  Nevis?

3 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Not always pretty, but we are resolute and slowly but surely work our way into games. Did it again tonight and I thought deservedly got the win.

Exactly this,home fans deserve better,weve not made  S6 a fortress like it should be,although weve put in some good performances,at times weve been very abject and not really stuck two dominant halves together

The noise the away support makes and the backing they give our boys is absolutely superb. It really is terrific. And clearly appreciated by the players.  

Quite happy if we're away every round. Like a viking raiding party plundering grounds all over the land. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

The noise the away support makes and the backing they give our boys is absolutely superb. It really is terrific. And clearly appreciated by the players.  

Quite happy if we're away every round. Like a viking raiding party plundering grounds all over the land. 

There was once the day, all away, when we got our kicks on route 66 !

Edited by nevthelodgemoorowl

5 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Fans outstanding. Love a good viking movie so I'm in. lol

I keep banging on about belligerence but we showed it tonight, we won the 50/50's, got to the 2nd balls and looked well up for the fight. We just need to bring that attitude and fight more often. It's hard to fault a team regardless of result when they leave it all out there.

Edited by Morepork
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, SiJ said:

I was wondering during the match, maybe we can annoy the Sheffield Council enough for them to close Hillsborough altogether so we have to play all our games away?

Failing that, wear our 'lucky' green away kit at home and make all our away supporters sit together, Hillsborough just seems to make the players nervous at the mo.

Looking at the game what struck me was:

• QPR didn't offer much until the last 20 minutes. We had them in our pocket but we didn't offer enough in the final 3rd to be effective
  • Thought Murphy and Harris were positive up front, taking people on and getting balls in.
  • Winnall's goal. Well done lad. Head for the goal and things happen. Don't run next to the winger and watch what he does before getting in the box. This I found frustrating
  • Rhodes, TBH, looked lost. If the winger's got the ball get to the 6 yard box at the near post; get Winnall following up around the penalty spot for any rebounds
  • Nuhui, wide to Reach, quick ball to the middle (Winnall) GOAL!. Where've I seen that before?
  • Dawson...................WTF!!! Take the clown shoes off. Other than that a competent showing

Special plaudits to Morgan Fox. Not only the Cup King - great opportunism to catch QPR out for his goal - but broke everything up when they attacked. Struggled a bit against that Samual lad but he was knackered by then and still did enough.

Bring on Liverpool............................well, they have to get by Shrewsbury yet. I shouldn't be so premature  :biggrin: