Are we taken for granted

1 minute ago, torres said:

So you’ve wanted to go to every single match you’ve been to? I know I and many many others haven’t. It’s sometimes a mix of stubbornness, commitment and blind faith. 

It’s hard work at times and that’s why I admire people that do it (of all clubs) 

Yep...reckon I have.....

If its Saturday...Its Wednesday....Ive always supported the club cos I've wanted to..I've always gone to games cos I wanted to....I went several seasons in the 70's without missing home and away...when we were terrible...cos I wanted to.

It goes beyond football for me....I remember changing jobs, where I had to work shifts...couldn't get to some games at home, and couldn't afford a season ticket..I felt guilty..So i sometimes bought a ticket to simply pay me money in without actually being able to make it...Thats how I see Wednesday...I still wanted to play a little part in it.

These days...I have a choice...I can afford a season ticket...Me lad can't...So I buy his season ticket..means I can't get to away games...purely financial...cos away games with Wednesday are great.

Thats not "being a loyal fan" ..or "Wearing a hair shirt"..Thats...simply because I enjoy going with my son...It also means he gets to the odd away game.

To me..Sheffield Wednesday are simply an extension of my family...nowhere near as important...but pretty high up on my list of priorities..that could change..if it does...I will

Until then...I'll simply carry on going ...but I won't expect a pat on the back for doin' it

• Like 3

It's an acquired taste..the exquisite boredom... glorious tediom.. the hating yourself for the childish expectations..

When it was as bad as I've known it (early 70s) the humour..

But every now and again they f*cking do something glorious that perpetuates the cycle...the absolute lobbers that they are..:duntmatter:

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Costello 77 said:

It's an acquired taste..the exquisite boredom... glorious tediom.. the hating yourself for the childish expectations..

But every now and again they f*cking do something glorious that perpetuates the cycle...the absolute lobbers that they are..:duntmatter:

And there you have it...from a source that usually either takes the  p*ss..or flies off at the most unlikely tangents...

Total understanding of what its about...The hope...The theatre...the absolute 40 years of 3 ring circus...then suddenly...A shaft of sunlight.

To watch The Wednesday...and to treat it as solely a "Football club"  is an inch offa stupid...cos Wednesday are not that ...(Especially last Saturday)

You see them as "Theatre" of "Life" of what actually f.ookin' happens!

During the years its a f.ookin' circus...enjoy the f.ookin' circus....slapstick crap, that is funny in hindsight, and absolutely infuriating in a contemporary sense

Then you have the whole Shakespearian crap of hoping that F.ookin' Macbeth ends up winning...when in actuality he gets totally f.ooked!

I have sat in Hillsborough...and laughed as we lose...I have been all over the country and howled as the left back passes it across to our centre half, who chips it over our goalkeepers head...I have seen Leon Clarke wearing gloves and a bloody "Snood" try an overhead kick, volley it into his own sodding face and then spin 3 times widdershins, looking for a ball he just passed into his own f.ookin' face!!!!

And i've laughed...and a Wednesday fan has asked 

"Why are you laughin'?"

And I've said 

"Why aren't you!!!"?

Cos its theatre...its funny, its sad...Its Sheffield Wednesday!!!..Its what Sheffield Wednesday do

Embrace the bloody thing

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Costello 77 said:

Thing is though in the seventies eighties I cannot remember anyone slagging the team or club off even though we were abysmal ,now it’s the norm especially message boards when annonimaty gives folk license to slate the players off who we are supposed to be supporting .

The last away game we went to we got covered in ale from some coked up spotty teenagers so after over 50 years of following the Owls its actually our own supporters that finished me off .

10 minutes ago, hugeowl said:

Thing is though in the seventies eighties I cannot remember anyone slagging the team or club off even though we were abysmal ,now it’s the norm especially message boards when annonimaty gives folk license to slate the players off who we are supposed to be supporting .

The last away game we went to we got covered in ale from some coked up spotty teenagers so after over 50 years of following the Owls its actually our own supporters that finished me off .

Mate..If there had been "Owlstalk" in the 70's...It would have been a daily meltdown...

all you had was 

"Tell it to Tony"

and you really couldn't post 

"Dear Tony..that was f.ookin' dogsh*te!!!!"

You got an answer in a fortnight....

8 minutes ago, hugeowl said:

Absolutely.. Andy's probably nailed it when he talks about pi*sing yourself laughing at your own players.. I've been offered out by STHs for doing the same..

For balance.. there's been days and nights home and away when I've been electrified by the football and the atmosphere and I've been as excited and happy as I'm ever likely to get...

WAWAW?

14 minutes ago, hugeowl said:

Social media changed everything. I’m sure if there where message boards in the 70’s people would have been exactly the same as they are now, probably worse. 

2 minutes ago, Costello 77 said:

Absolutely.. Andy's probably nailed it when he talks about pi*sing yourself laughing at your own players.. I've been offered out by STHs for doing the same..

For balance.. there's been days and nights home and away when I've been electrified by the football and the atmosphere and I've been as excited and happy as I'm ever likely to get...

WAWAW?

Blackburn away when Mellor scored...Sheer mentalistic support...One of my favourite away days....Just a mass of heaving Wednesday fans when that went in...

2 minutes ago, asteener1867 said:

Mate..If there had been "Owlstalk" in the 70's...It would have been a daily meltdown...

all you had was 

"Tell it to Tony"

and you really couldn't post 

"Dear Tony..that was f.ookin' dogsh*te!!!!"

You got an answer in a fortnight....

Or chuck cushions at em !

1 minute ago, WalthamOwl said:

Social media changed everything. I’m sure if there where message boards in the 70’s people would have been exactly the same as they are now, probably worse. 

Disagree, we all used to be in it together back then , we were a club from top to bottom and people respected each other through good and bad , and there was more bad than good 

6 minutes ago, hugeowl said:

Or chuck cushions at em !

Disagree, we all used to be in it together back then , we were a club from top to bottom and people respected each other through good and bad , and there was more bad than good 

Mate...I can remember coming back from somewhere or other on the S.U.T when the Wednesday players coach overtook us on the motorway....and if the fans could have got at the players...they would have f.ookin' killed them..The whole coach was rocking with vitriol...

20 hours ago, tashton said:

Omg. It was only a post about a debate id seen on twitter talking about different clubs offering things to supporters... That's all.  I'm not being bxxxdy needy or need a bxxxdy hug or something. It's a discussion, end of.  Some posters on here can be really sarcastic... And no, that's not me being touchy 

Real touchy, bro.

5 minutes ago, asteener1867 said:

Blackburn away when Mellor scored...Sheer mentalistic support...One of my favourite away days....Just a mass of heaving Wednesday fans when that went in...

It was mate uncovered standing as Was nearly every where 

4 minutes ago, asteener1867 said:

Mate...I can remember coming back from somewhere or other on the S.U.T when the Wednesday players coach overtook us on the motorway....and if the fans could have got at the players...they would have f.ookin' killed them..The whole coach was rocking with vitriol...

No not having that it’s your memory failing you lol

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

Social media ?? Biggest feckin oxymoron of all time on so many levels, FFS. Folks sitting behind their keyboards at home having a go at some other poor bugger for daring to have an opinion that differs from their own, FFS. Anti social media would be an acceptable term for it. 

Even when folks get their balls big enough to venture out into the real world where they can meet and interact with other people, what do they do ?? Sit all alone in the fuckinpub staring at the screen on their mobilefuckingphone, FFS. 

Owlstalk is probably the biggest lunatic asylum, ( am I allowed to say that in these oh so very pc days ? ), in the world. But it's probably the only thing I find good about the internet.