Carlos on TalkSport

Just now, dorian gray said:

yes I though he was the wrong man from the start, his open arsed football would have been exposed in the premier as it was by the pigs at hillsborough.

that said I expected us IF ever we went up (possibly) to be trying the wba scenario of up and down, filling and re filling our pockets with parachute money, until we could get up and stay up.

but NO, this multi times, short term failure wasn't the man to handle our best opportunity for 20/30 or more years.

I cannot understand how he was considered in the first place, I can understand him taking it, but you wouldn't let a tramp hold you fish n' chips whilst you went in for a fork would you, and then blame the tramp?

You would have been the only person in the world thinking he was the wrong man if we had beaten Hull.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

Maybe but he’s a boring coach! 

he's doing what he can with what he has at his disposal, he has us in touch with the play offs at present with only one decent forward who is injured.

look at what coco did in his third season with a squad he'd chosen not inherited.

Certainly the most charismatic manager we've had over the past decade. And that counts for something.

His first season with us ended on the ultimate down, and there were downs along the way, but there were so, so many ups. That season will live long in the memory.

Beyond the first season though, I found his remaining time with us to be one of increasing frustrations at our way of playing.

It pales at the side of my frustrations with DC's running of the club, but even so, and even after almost 4 years since the play-off final, I still don't really understand why we went from a side that played with some swagger to one that only ever seemed to play within itself. Such a lost opportunity.

So in the end, he to us, just like he to Swansea fans, is a bit of an enigma; a manager that through charisma and tactical guile is capable of taking a team to within touching distance of victory, only to inexplicably change tack and retreat.

I'll never get my head round it - but nor does it seem will other chairmen in this country given the fact he's not been offered anything despite him being so obviously desperate for another job in England.

11 minutes ago, One De Bilde said:

You would have been the only person in the world thinking he was the wrong man if we had beaten Hull.

initially it was staggering to set this bloke on who no one knew, with a track record as shocking as his was, however at times in the first season I did think am I learning something new about football?, as to me something didn't add up, in the play off final I saw I was correct in my judgement, it was smoke n' mirrors.

we regressed in the second season, and we're appalling in the play off's, the third was further regression. 

his short multi-appointments, and speedy failure at swansea (his boyhood love) followed by his present club, and failed touting's for work in england shows how high esteem he is held in football circles.

everybody is laughing, except sheffield wednesday.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, dorian gray said:

initially it was staggering to set this bloke on who no one knew, with a track record as shocking as his was, however at times in the first season I did think am I learning something new about football?, as to me something didn't add up, in the play off final I saw I was correct in my judgement, it was smoke n' mirrors.

we regressed in the second season, and we're appalling in the play off's, the third was further regression. 

his short multi-appointments, and speedy failure at swansea (his boyhood love) followed by his present club, and failed touting's for work in england shows how high esteem he is held in football circles.

everybody is laughing, except sheffield wednesday.

You trying to say you don't like him?

Must be me but dont get the hate? 1st season  no one expected a play off final and the best football we had played in 25 years. Second season 4th and a penalty shoot out from another Wembley appearance.  Yes we blew our chances but, very fine lines. What could have been!!

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, One De Bilde said:

We didn't beat Hull though, we didn't turn up.

IMO Carlos was / is a good coach but only for a very limited time, after his initial impact wares off it quickly goes down hill.
For his last couple of months at Wednesday he was embarrassing with the crumpled £20 note and ranting how we should have got a pen v Hull (I think ) even after the replay had shown it was not handball.

2 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

You trying to say you don't like him?

hold on, are we saying there are two of you?

i'm not saying I don't like him, i'd love to see him at l**ds or t'dingles, but I think both are too smart, I think he's almost the epitome of 'entertainment', a bit like a cross between brian clough and manuel (off Fawlty towers).

sadly, tis manuel's football knowledge.

by all means set him on at another club (if they're daft enough, preferably one with no money this time) but the situation left at hillsborough after him is poor to say the least.

he is not entirely to blame, but as manager he must shoulder the responsibility for the on field failings with the money he had at his disposal.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, dorian gray said:

hold on, are we saying there are two of you?

i'm not saying I don't like him, i'd love to see him at l**ds or t'dingles, but I think both are too smart, I think he's almost the epitome of 'entertainment', a bit like a cross between brian clough and manuel (off Fawlty towers).

sadly, tis manuel's football knowledge.

by all means set him on at another club (if they're daft enough, preferably one with no money this time) but the situation left at hillsborough after him is poor to say the least.

he is not entirely to blame, but as manager he must shoulder the responsibility for the on field failings with the money he had at his disposal.

A simply yes or no would have sufficed. 

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

We didn't beat Hull though, we didn't turn up.

IMO Carlos was / is a good coach but only for a very limited time, after his initial impact wares off it quickly goes down hill.
For his last couple of months at Wednesday he was embarrassing with the crumpled £20 note and ranting how we should have got a pen v Hull (I think ) even after the replay had shown it was not handball.

Yes I know, I was there as I am sure you were. I just dont believe people would still be critical of him if we had. He was 90 minutes away from being thought of in a totally different light.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ian_D said:

I liked him but he should have gone after Wembley

Along with a few of the players that under-performed that day or do they keep getting another chance?

Carlos did a great job in a very short time. If our chairman had stopped messing about and got him in at the start of the summer, or when he first took over, we might have had a couple more decent players or at least started the season playing as we did with a third or more of the season gone. Then we could have had a proper chance of automatic promotion. What happened at Wembley and the whole season/closed season running up to it was not just the responsibility of one man!

Also if we had performed at Wembley anywhere near as well as we did on that run that got us into the play offs we would have wiped the floor with their team the way we wiped the floor with their fans in the stands. The only thing I came away feeling any pride for that day was the fans, yet some of those players are still not good enough, as they have showed again and again since then including Saturday v Blackburn.

1 minute ago, One De Bilde said:

Yes I know, I was there as I am sure you were. I just dont believe people would still be critical of him if we had. He was 90 minutes away from being thought of in a totally different light.

Of course he would have been a hero at the time if we had beaten Hull, in fact he was hero even though we lost to the majority of fans.
But think in the next season his reputation would have suffered when the inevitable down turn in results would have happened and odd ball behaviour would have kicked in.

1 hour ago, dorian gray said:

yes I though he was the wrong man from the start, his open arsed football would have been exposed in the premier as it was by the pigs at hillsborough.

that said I expected us IF ever we went up (possibly) to be trying the wba scenario of up and down, filling and re filling our pockets with parachute money, until we could get up and stay up.

but NO, this multi times, short term failure wasn't the man to handle our best opportunity for 20/30 or more years.

I cannot understand how he was considered in the first place, I can understand him taking it, but you wouldn't let a tramp hold you fish n' chips whilst you went in for a fork would you, and then blame the tramp?

At Wembley, a long distance goal from Wallace instead of their bloke and we would not have played the pigs until this year. Unless of course we had come down again, but presumably by then we would have had a new manager and a big bank full of money, topped up by the prem every year for the next three seasons.

1 hour ago, Dan™ said:

His second season was miles better than the first, results wise.

That fact seems to have been erased from history after the unfortunate result against Huddersfield though.

Plus we had a huge injury crisis with many of our best players out for large portions of the season. I think that is one of the reasons carlos adopted a more cautious approach. 

If we had kept our key players fit I think we may well have gone up automatically.