Perspective

It’s a disgrace!!!! Every time I go down to ten men on FM20 I always comeback.......lol

On a serious note, the performance and the manner of the defeat were awful but it’s the pattern I find more frustrating and worrisome.

Edited by Morepork

said in another thread, this current run of 4 losses in 5 games is damaging but doesn't ruin our season.....yet.  The next 5 games will either result in  the season  being over or put us right back in the hunt.

Wigan A

Millwall H

Barnsley A

Luton A

Reading H

Perspective will be irrelevant if we fall short in these games. I am in the wait and see camp until then

• Like 1

4 hours ago, vulva said:

The side that came 2nd under Dave Jones in League 1 would finish top 6 in this league. It’s the biggest pile of dogger I’ve ever seen. 

Give over. Look at the 3 teams who came up last year.... Luton, Barnsley and Charlton. All fighting relegation. Big gap between league one and the championship now.

When a team with good players like Stoke has been in the bottom 3 most of the season it shows how tough it is to win games in the championship.

There may not be an outstanding team this year but this is a strong league. If you’re not at it (like we weren’t on Saturday), you get beat

12 hours ago, Spookone said:

I think the issue is having lost 4 of the last 5 league games not the 5-0 drumming on Saturday.

I was full of hope coming up to Xmas but I now find myself agreeing with a lot of the doom mongers on here - we just aren’t good enough over all to end the season in the top 6, nearly but not quite.

To be fair we knew this at the start of the season. It's only because our league position was artificially high for a while that people got carried away thinking we were better than we are

9 hours ago, airborne_rat_of_s6 said:

We are now consistently pump. Preston result tonight means we are 4 points adrift. F-all chance of making that up. This recent period has ended what could have been a surprisingly good season. Well and truly bored of the glimmers of hope and the perpetual false dawns. Sure if you analysed every club in the football leagues we would be up there for inconsistency. Just comes down to a lack of application on the part of the players. For me, they would be in on double training sessions until they started applying the right attitude and levels of determination. This shower don’t represent what we the fans are. 

I'll let you in on a secret. There is an easy way of analysing all clubs consistency. Its called a league table. We are currently the 10th most consistent club in the championship. Slightly above average.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Junk Smuggler said:

After us bettering Forest at the Cuty ground, who actually saw that coming? They were truly awful that day, similar to us last Saturday.

They lost quite a few in a row as well as I remember. They have a good squad though so as bad as they were its not a total surprise that they've turned it around.

2 hours ago, nilsson said:

Makes a bit of difference. We’ve never finished about 7th in the premier league or premiership.

The keeper could still pick the ball up from a back pass in 92 and the clubs were evenly matched in terms of finances

To be pedantic we did finish seventh....

Seriously, I know what you mean. It is a different world. My general point was/is that a team can get hammered in a single game and still have a decent season.

6 minutes ago, Nero said:

To be pedantic we did finish seventh....

Seriously, I know what you mean. It is a different world. My general point was/is that a team can get hammered in a single game and still have a decent season.

My post should have said above 7th (instead of about) - predictive text on my phone.

Yeah football was a different game in 1992 at the top level.

Agree but it was the manner of the defeat and the performance on Saturday that were even worse than the score line.

And it’s not a single game, we’ve lost 3 on the bounce at Hillsborough. How often have teams lost 3 consecutive home games to mid-table opposition and still had a decent season?

15 hours ago, Tudders said:

We were awful on Saturday against Blackburn. We went down to 10 men and Blackburn took full advantage. How many times does a team go down to 10 men and the other team don’t take advantage? We were unfortunate with the ball hitting the post and rebounding in off Dawson’s head. How many times does that happen?It seemed like the ‘perfect storm’.

Only a week previously we had beaten Leeds away having kept a clean sheet, made it even more frustrating as we know this team has it in them to beat anyone in the league on their day. 

If you cast your minds back to Forest away, by half time Rhodes had scored a hat trick for the first time in years and we were cruising at 4-0. Forest fans were leaving in droves and likely writing their team off of any chance of the play offs. Look at them now though, a couple of wins and they’re back amongst it. The memory of our victory likely in the shadows. 

We need to remember that whether you lose by a 90th minute goal or get battered 5-0, it doesn’t make a huge amount of difference, you still get 0 points, just as a scrappy 1-0 win only gets you 3 points the same as a resounding win. Ok I get the goal difference aspect but it’s rare that comes into play. 

If Wednesday can bounce back with a couple of wins then we can be right back in the mix. The Blackburn memories will fade like Forests have of their defeat to us. Hopefully GM can focus the lads, put last weekends result behind us and get the best out of us for the forthcoming games. 

Anyone really can beat anyone in this league-and they do- who’d have backed Stoke winning at WBA last night?

It’s about finding that little burst of consistency-teams in this league will only ever string together 3-4 victories at most due to how tight this league is- and remaining balanced both in victory and defeat. Youll always lose games in this division, it’s how you bounce back that matters.

generally a side having a man sent off early has to run it's nuts off to match the opposition, but ours is an ageing side and struggles to do so.

we need attacking additions, to allow us other options than 'grimly' hanging on until late substitutions can be made.

as for stoke and wba, who'd have backed us at bellend road?

IF we strengthen and fletcher returns well, we have a chance of the play offs, unless the efl butt in.

11 hours ago, NorthernOwl said:

To be fair we knew this at the start of the season. It's only because our league position was artificially high for a while that people got carried away thinking we were better than we are

To be honest I didn’t, I genuinely thought we had a chance at top 6, I probably think if Fletcher hadn’t got injured we would still be top 6.

I also never subscribe to the artificial position theory, especially half way through the season (teams are where they are due to results), I’m now feeling a little more positive and if we manage to bring in a good striker, we still have half a chance.

Edited by Spookone

On 21/01/2020 at 18:39, Tudders said:

We were awful on Saturday against Blackburn. We went down to 10 men and Blackburn took full advantage. How many times does a team go down to 10 men and the other team don’t take advantage? We were unfortunate with the ball hitting the post and rebounding in off Dawson’s head. How many times does that happen?It seemed like the ‘perfect storm’.

Only a week previously we had beaten Leeds away having kept a clean sheet, made it even more frustrating as we know this team has it in them to beat anyone in the league on their day. 

If you cast your minds back to Forest away, by half time Rhodes had scored a hat trick for the first time in years and we were cruising at 4-0. Forest fans were leaving in droves and likely writing their team off of any chance of the play offs. Look at them now though, a couple of wins and they’re back amongst it. The memory of our victory likely in the shadows. 

We need to remember that whether you lose by a 90th minute goal or get battered 5-0, it doesn’t make a huge amount of difference, you still get 0 points, just as a scrappy 1-0 win only gets you 3 points the same as a resounding win. Ok I get the goal difference aspect but it’s rare that comes into play. 

If Wednesday can bounce back with a couple of wins then we can be right back in the mix. The Blackburn memories will fade like Forests have of their defeat to us. Hopefully GM can focus the lads, put last weekends result behind us and get the best out of us for the forthcoming games. 

Anyone really can beat anyone in this league-and they do- who’d have backed Stoke winning at WBA last night?

It’s about finding that little burst of consistency-teams in this league will only ever string together 3-4 victories at most due to how tight this league is- and remaining balanced both in victory and defeat. Youll always lose games in this division, it’s how you bounce back that matters.

Fair play to you. But that’s not perspective it’s loyalty. The truth is far worse than that. 

1 minute ago, Pale Rider said:

Fair play to you. But that’s not perspective it’s loyalty. The truth is far worse than that. 

You’re obviously entitled to your opinion.Yes I’m loyal and I’m certainly a ‘glass half full’ type. Maybe I’m being overly optimistic but I don’t think it’s all as doom and gloom as some would believe.  

13 minutes ago, Tudders said:

You’re obviously entitled to your opinion.Yes I’m loyal and I’m certainly a ‘glass half full’ type. Maybe I’m being overly optimistic but I don’t think it’s all as doom and gloom as some would believe.  

As my reply suggested, not having a dig. I also believe you can still be a true fan and still see things warts and all. 

17 hours ago, Pale Rider said:

As my reply suggested, not having a dig. I also believe you can still be a true fan and still see things warts and all. 

Of course mate, we all love Wednesday hence us being on here, but different opinions are part of life.

Edited by Tudders