Perspective

24 minutes ago, sherlyegg said:

No team ever in the history of the championship or old 2nd division, has won promotion while in the same season lost a game at home 5-0,  to a team below them in the league.

Incredible stat! I reposted it on Twitter and Facebook, and so far it's gotten lots of likes and stirred a very insightful discussion on how crap we are.

Thanks for sharing!

3 minutes ago, bobness said:

Incredible stat! I reposted it on Twitter and Facebook, and so far it's gotten lots of likes and stirred a very insightful discussion on how crap we are.

Thanks for sharing!

No probs.

Will now make look lxxds tomoz night.

( i will be the guy nutting larry gration in the nose, tw@tting paul the weather man in the cloudy area and making indecent proposals to Tanya.)

Monk's perspective is that we played the ball backwards too much in the first 10 minutes.  I've just watched the first 10 on the full match replay and it's simply not true.  We tried to get it forward and out to Murphy on the right quite a few times but his crossing, and also Bannan's were well below par.  Also Murphy made a good run but then thought he was Maradona instead of releasing it to Reach, but overall they were trying to be positive.  We missed Fletcher, the ball doesn't stick up top with Winnall there and I think we missed Harris tearing at the defenders down the left.  Lee is not back to his best, looks a bit lost, so we should have maybe played Hutch and let Bannan and Luongo play further forward.  Youngster was poor at right back after playing well in the games before.

2 hours ago, sherlyegg said:

No team ever in the history of the championship or old 2nd division, has won promotion while in the same season lost a game at home 5-0,  to a team below them in the league.

Just made that up btw..but it will be true...probably.

lol

We lost 6-1 to Leeds in the 90s and finished third in that league.

There was no fluke about that and Leeds went into win the league.

Saturday was a freak scoreline, won’t happen again for either side in a good while.

Most games we lose are by the odd goal. Prob is we’re toothless. 2-3 new players would make us play off contenders.

3 hours ago, Tudders said:

We were awful on Saturday against Blackburn. We went down to 10 men and Blackburn took full advantage. How many times does a team go down to 10 men and the other team don’t take advantage? We were unfortunate with the ball hitting the post and rebounding in off Dawson’s head. How many times does that happen?It seemed like the ‘perfect storm’.

Only a week previously we had beaten Leeds away having kept a clean sheet, made it even more frustrating as we know this team has it in them to beat anyone in the league on their day. 

If you cast your minds back to Forest away, by half time Rhodes had scored a hat trick for the first time in years and we were cruising at 4-0. Forest fans were leaving in droves and likely writing their team off of any chance of the play offs. Look at them now though, a couple of wins and they’re back amongst it. The memory of our victory likely in the shadows. 

We need to remember that whether you lose by a 90th minute goal or get battered 5-0, it doesn’t make a huge amount of difference, you still get 0 points, just as a scrappy 1-0 win only gets you 3 points the same as a resounding win. Ok I get the goal difference aspect but it’s rare that comes into play. 

If Wednesday can bounce back with a couple of wins then we can be right back in the mix. The Blackburn memories will fade like Forests have of their defeat to us. Hopefully GM can focus the lads, put last weekends result behind us and get the best out of us for the forthcoming games. 

Anyone really can beat anyone in this league-and they do- who’d have backed Stoke winning at WBA last night?

It’s about finding that little burst of consistency-teams in this league will only ever string together 3-4 victories at most due to how tight this league is- and remaining balanced both in victory and defeat. Youll always lose games in this division, it’s how you bounce back that matters.

We are now consistently pump. Preston result tonight means we are 4 points adrift. F-all chance of making that up. This recent period has ended what could have been a surprisingly good season. Well and truly bored of the glimmers of hope and the perpetual false dawns. Sure if you analysed every club in the football leagues we would be up there for inconsistency. Just comes down to a lack of application on the part of the players. For me, they would be in on double training sessions until they started applying the right attitude and levels of determination. This shower don’t represent what we the fans are. 

I agree with the sentiment, but I think even the most positive of supporter can see that we are massively short upfront and the top 6 is very unlikely unless Monk can pull a rabbit out of the hat by the end of the month

3 hours ago, Tudders said:

We were awful on Saturday against Blackburn. We went down to 10 men and Blackburn took full advantage. How many times does a team go down to 10 men and the other team don’t take advantage? We were unfortunate with the ball hitting the post and rebounding in off Dawson’s head. How many times does that happen?It seemed like the ‘perfect storm’.

Only a week previously we had beaten Leeds away having kept a clean sheet, made it even more frustrating as we know this team has it in them to beat anyone in the league on their day. 

If you cast your minds back to Forest away, by half time Rhodes had scored a hat trick for the first time in years and we were cruising at 4-0. Forest fans were leaving in droves and likely writing their team off of any chance of the play offs. Look at them now though, a couple of wins and they’re back amongst it. The memory of our victory likely in the shadows. 

We need to remember that whether you lose by a 90th minute goal or get battered 5-0, it doesn’t make a huge amount of difference, you still get 0 points, just as a scrappy 1-0 win only gets you 3 points the same as a resounding win. Ok I get the goal difference aspect but it’s rare that comes into play. 

If Wednesday can bounce back with a couple of wins then we can be right back in the mix. The Blackburn memories will fade like Forests have of their defeat to us. Hopefully GM can focus the lads, put last weekends result behind us and get the best out of us for the forthcoming games. 

Anyone really can beat anyone in this league-and they do- who’d have backed Stoke winning at WBA last night?

It’s about finding that little burst of consistency-teams in this league will only ever string together 3-4 victories at most due to how tight this league is- and remaining balanced both in victory and defeat. Youll always lose games in this division, it’s how you bounce back that matters.

this is a sensible post - but for me we’re just too inconsistent to be realistic promotion contenders - plus I don’t think our squad is up to it.

if we are gonna get a points deduction it might be better coming now. We aren’t gonna go up - but we’ve done enough to probably stay up unless it’s a truly draconian deduction. 

start again next year.

10 minutes ago, airborne_rat_of_s6 said:

We are now consistently pump. Preston result tonight means we are 4 points adrift. F-all chance of making that up. This recent period has ended what could have been a surprisingly good season. Well and truly bored of the glimmers of hope and the perpetual false dawns. Sure if you analysed every club in the football leagues we would be up there for inconsistency. Just comes down to a lack of application on the part of the players. For me, they would be in on double training sessions until they started applying the right attitude and levels of determination. This shower don’t represent what we the fans are. 

If you look at the starting 11 I’m not sure I can say that any of them don’t show the right levels of attitude or determination:

Dawson-Owl through and through. Been brilliant.

Fox- Dont think anyone can doubt the way he’s progressed. Lesser men would have crumbled under all the stick he’s had. 

Iorfa- Been excellent. Full blooded displays.

Borner- Great signing, always looks to give 100%

I can go through the team and the above would near enough relate to every player.

Certainly not a team lacking effort and commitment. Lacking mental strength maybe, lacking consistency maybe, but nothing that I think can be solved by ‘double training sessions’ and having it ‘beasted’ out of them.

5 minutes ago, ka58 said:

this is a sensible post - but for me we’re just too inconsistent to be realistic promotion contenders - plus I don’t think our squad is up to it.

if we are gonna get a points deduction it might be better coming now. We aren’t gonna go up - but we’ve done enough to probably stay up unless it’s a truly draconian deduction. 

start again next year.

I agree mate. I don’t think we would be consistent enough to win 3 games in a row to get through the play offs at a canter.

We’d have to hope for a Forest or Leeds away performance and hope it’s enough to get us through the likely poor performance in the home fixture.

Then hope the ‘good’ Wednesday turns up for the final!! lol

7 minutes ago, Tudders said:

If you look at the starting 11 I’m not sure I can say that any of them don’t show the right levels of attitude or determination:

Dawson-Owl through and through. Been brilliant.

Fox- Dont think anyone can doubt the way he’s progressed. Lesser men would have crumbled under all the stick he’s had. 

Iorfa- Been excellent. Full blooded displays.

Borner- Great signing, always looks to give 100%

I can go through the team and the above would near enough relate to every player.

Certainly not a team lacking effort and commitment. Lacking mental strength maybe, lacking consistency maybe, but nothing that I think can be solved by ‘double training sessions’ and having it ‘beasted’ out of them.

we just lack pace and a surprise.

too many like for like players in key attacking positions.

fletcher Nuhiu winnall Rhodes - all a bit different but offering much same.

ditto Lee Hutchinson luongo.

ditto reach Murphy.

It’s Why harris with his pace and bannan with his creativity stand out.

needs a good transfer window/contract expiring where we can get players out and hopefully free up some cash to bring something different in.

Edited by ka58

3 hours ago, Lawrie Madden said:

To put things in perspective that team who were bottom of the league who Wednesday should have hammered at their place(apparently), beat the top of the league last night .................away 

I admit I was a little over enthusiastic on that point. Just shows what a crazy league this is.

13 minutes ago, ka58 said:

we just lack pace and a surprise.

too many like for like players in key attacking positions.

fletcher Nuhiu winnall Rhodes - all a bit different but offering much same.

ditto Lee Hutchinson luongo.

ditto reach Murphy.

It’s Why harris with his pace and bannan with his creativity stand out.

needs a good transfer window/contract expiring where we can get players out and hopefully free up some cash to bring something different in.

Can totally see where you’re coming from but that same group of players you refer to beat Forest away convincingly, beat Leeds away, beat Brighton away,beat Brentford, battered Boro away, lost to a late goal away at WBA.

We’ve thrown points away from winning positions late on in several games, had the home nightmare against Blackburn but we are STILL only 4 points off the play offs and 10 off the automatics. I’m not saying for a minute we’ll get promoted automatically but the play offs are a realistic possibility IF we can get a grip on the mental side of the game. 

Edited by Tudders

4 hours ago, alanharper said:

It's not just the Blackburn game though is it? It's losing 4 games from 5, having 3 home defeats in a row against genuinely mediocre opposition, being the second lowest home scorers in the league whilst paying champagne prices for flat warm can of Tizer football. 

And that "couple of wins" which got Forest back into the top 6 was them actually getting 13 points from the last 15. Can anyone see us being that consistent? 

After us bettering Forest at the Cuty ground, who actually saw that coming? They were truly awful that day, similar to us last Saturday.