PL 2

19 hours ago, SiJ said:

He's referring to Phil Gartside who was the original proponent. 

That's not to say there won't be mutiny among the clubs. 

There will at some point and i reckon it will be some time after next season.. Half the teams under embargo/charged/points deducted, the other half rolling in PL wonga. 

Instead of creating a new league they need to make the Championship fair.

These parachute payments need a serious change.

They should be there to protect relegated clubs, not fund them in their quest to get back to the big time.

The payments should only cover wages for players above a certain amount. BUT, clubs should be actively trying to sell said players to get them off the wage budget, any offer that at least matches what you paid you should be forced to accept.

You could say that is harsh, as you may be forced to sell players below their value, but that's the risk you take. If you're not willing to do so, you don't get parachute payments. Simple.

Fed up of these relegated clubs spending millions and millions whilst everyone else gets punished.

21 hours ago, casbahowl said:

The amount of people on here that hang on every word from Nixon and treat it as gospel is both remarkable & sad in equal measure!

Its staggering, you could sit a chimp in front of a word processor for long enough and it would get the same hit rate as Nixon, a total fraud.

Guest Ferkorf
46 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Some interesting Tweets from Andy Holt who is the Accrington Stanley chairman. 

Seems to be very much behind the Championship clubs with respect to how the EFL are dealing with matters. 

Very interesting. Wonder if any more support for this is going to come out of the woodwork.

Whilst the Championship will never get close in popularity and marketing opportunities to the three biggest leagues in the world (La Liga, Premier League and the Bundesliga), on some criteria it's almost as good as, if not better than, Serie A, Ligue 1, Eredivisie and MLS.

On a similar basis, the Championship is clearly better than the top leagues in Greece, Ukraine, Portugal and probably even the South American leagues in terms of worldwide and domestic appeal.

There are games in several top European leagues that barely attract a couple of thousand spectators whilst in England, the fifth tier get bigger attendances outside the top half dozen clubs in Greece, for instance. Eight of the top sixteen clubs in the Greek "Super League" don't even average 2,500 per home game. Strip out Benfica and Porto from the Primeira Liga and you get pretty much a like for like equivalent of League One in England.

The EFL Championship is a lot bigger than many people imagine. As a second tier, despite its many faults, it's probably still the biggest and best in the world.

On 20/01/2020 at 15:23, casbahowl said:

The amount of people on here that hang on every word from Nixon and treat it as gospel is both remarkable & sad in equal measure!

It’s probably because he provides information ( not always correct) .

Our club are desperately poor at communicating with the fan base ( and by that I don’t mean transfer targets) . So people cling on to any source of information they can get. 

36 minutes ago, Mister Soul said:

It’s probably because he provides information ( not always correct) .

Our club are desperately poor at communicating with the fan base ( and by that I don’t mean transfer targets) . So people cling on to any source of information they can get. 

TBF my parrot (Peggy) could provide information ( not always correct) and be equally as accurate as Nixon (and by that I don’t mean transfer targets)

Feel free to cling on!

On 20/01/2020 at 15:37, sheffsteel said:

The real problem is that PL and the EFL are 2 separate organisations that treat each other like competitors. Money is the driver behind everything.

They have no interest in the bigger picture unless they have no choice. 

It's even worse than this. There's no solidarity in the EFL itself because clubs are trying to climb over each other to get out. You wont get a well run organisation

when no one really wants to stay part of it.

2 hours ago, casbahowl said:

TBF my parrot (Peggy) could provide information ( not always correct) and be equally as accurate as Nixon (and by that I don’t mean transfer targets)

Feel free to cling on!

I didn’t say I was a Nixon clinger .. I was just commenting on what and why people cling onto his tweets Lol

On 22/01/2020 at 09:44, Musn't Grumble said:

Whilst the Championship will never get close in popularity and marketing opportunities to the three biggest leagues in the world (La Liga, Premier League and the Bundesliga), on some criteria it's almost as good as, if not better than, Serie A, Ligue 1, Eredivisie and MLS.

On a similar basis, the Championship is clearly better than the top leagues in Greece, Ukraine, Portugal and probably even the South American leagues in terms of worldwide and domestic appeal.

There are games in several top European leagues that barely attract a couple of thousand spectators whilst in England, the fifth tier get bigger attendances outside the top half dozen clubs in Greece, for instance. Eight of the top sixteen clubs in the Greek "Super League" don't even average 2,500 per home game. Strip out Benfica and Porto from the Primeira Liga and you get pretty much a like for like equivalent of League One in England.

The EFL Championship is a lot bigger than many people imagine. As a second tier, despite its many faults, it's probably still the biggest and best in the world.

I agree but also population plays a big part in it for eg. England has over 5× the population of Greece and Portugal. So 5× more divisions of football.