Jump to content
mark1948

Second time in 65 Years

Recommended Posts

20 minutes ago, mark1948 said:

 

You are simply wrong. I was there it was 4-0 at half time.

As was I, you are correct.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Kameron said:

As was I, you are correct.

 

It was 1-1 at half time so not correct at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't understand these threads. Yes, we were awful yesterday, but more awful than any other home game in the past 65 years? I wish that were true. 

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, roaminowl said:

 

It was 1-1 at half time so not correct at all.

Must have been a few years later then, I’ve defo seen us pasted by Everton 

 

8 minutes ago, roaminowl said:

 

It was 1-1 at half time so not correct at all.


You are correct It was January 1988.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First time in 32 years I have left early. Managed to last till the 80th minute. Have seen worse but yesterday feels pretty much up there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Kameron said:

Must have been a few years later then, I’ve defo seen us pasted by Everton 

 


You are correct It was January 1988.

 

 

Yes, that's the game where Sharp got a hat-trick and it was 5-0 at half time (3rd replay in FA Cup).

  • Agree 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, mark1948 said:

Steak & Chips at home and a couple of pints of Guinness in the Middlewood Tavern afterwards.

Sticky toffee pudding for afters ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mark1948 said:

Like so many of us I have been an Owl from birth. I attended my first match when I was 6 in 1954 over 65 years ago. There was a period when I lived abroad when I couldn't attend, but going to the match is something in my make up. (For you jokers, no I don't wear any.)

 

Only once in all that time have I left a game at half-time, and that was when we were 4-0 down to Everton during Gary Linacre's time there. Incidentally Everton were mesmerizingly good and the Owls fans were really cheering their team on but recognised we were being ripped apart by a very, very, good team. It was a midweek game and I had been in a meeting in Brighton and raced up the M1 to make the game. I was also very hungry so I left to get dinner as it was game over.

 

Well yesterday was the second time. This time though it was just a normal Saturday. We were, despite the sending off, absolutely rubbish. Blackburn wanted to win and we never gave them a single moment of competition. I cannot recall such a spineless, clueless, and hapless performance from a Wednesday side and believe me I've sat through some absolute dross in those 65 years. 

 

I am actually considering not renewing my season ticket, even though going to the match is one of the few things that keeps me active and alive. We are not going up this season or any other season till the whole mentality of the club changes.

 

Mr Monk doesn't help matters when he says we will have setbacks, yes we will, and every team does, but saying it out loud so that players think it is acceptable, is a mistake.

 

We are just 7 points better than last season but with our current form of just 6 points from six games a loss against Wigan could send us bottom of the form league.

 

Something has got to change and quickly. Forget the QPR game it is irrelevant. The Wigan game is now a must win.

 

 

 

I totally agree and get you, but I think gary monk saying we will have setbacks totally clouds what he really thinks and what he will have said in the dressing room . he will be as disgusted as us but saying to press his players didn't try only goes 1 way and that's losing players respect and the sack. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, mark1948 said:

 

You are simply wrong. I was there it was 4-0 at half time.

I remember the FA cup replay on my birthday in 1988 and it was 0:5 at half time so we all went to the pub! (Unless you're talking about another game)

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, roaminowl said:

 

Yes, that's the game where Sharp got a hat-trick and it was 5-0 at half time (3rd replay in FA Cup).

Think that's right, we came out at half time but had to persuade the gateman to let us out...while we were deciding which pub to go to the gateman opened the gates wide open..then hundreds walking out.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, sherlyegg said:

Think that's right, we came out at half time but had to persuade the gateman to let us out...while we were deciding which pub to go to the gateman opened the gates wide open..then hundreds walking out.

 

Me included:mellow:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yesterday’s result was hurtful in so many ways. To see us go to Leeds and put such a professional performance in made me think we’d turned a corner. I should have known better. 
 

The is a distinct lack of mental strength in this team from seeing out games to beating inferior opposition. Until we have a good cull in the summer this team will continue to tread water. 
 

We need winners in this side. There aren’t enough of them. 

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, roaminowl said:

 

Yes, that's the game where Sharp got a hat-trick and it was 5-0 at half time (3rd replay in FA Cup).

Drunkest I've ever been at a match that. Could hardly walk up the steps on the kop.... Can't remember getting home and can't remember the match..... Thank god

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mark1948 said:

Like so many of us I have been an Owl from birth. I attended my first match when I was 6 in 1954 over 65 years ago. There was a period when I lived abroad when I couldn't attend, but going to the match is something in my make up. (For you jokers, no I don't wear any.)

 

Only once in all that time have I left a game at half-time, and that was when we were 4-0 down to Everton during Gary Linacre's time there. Incidentally Everton were mesmerizingly good and the Owls fans were really cheering their team on but recognised we were being ripped apart by a very, very, good team. It was a midweek game and I had been in a meeting in Brighton and raced up the M1 to make the game. I was also very hungry so I left to get dinner as it was game over.

 

Well yesterday was the second time. This time though it was just a normal Saturday. We were, despite the sending off, absolutely rubbish. Blackburn wanted to win and we never gave them a single moment of competition. I cannot recall such a spineless, clueless, and hapless performance from a Wednesday side and believe me I've sat through some absolute dross in those 65 years. 

 

I am actually considering not renewing my season ticket, even though going to the match is one of the few things that keeps me active and alive. We are not going up this season or any other season till the whole mentality of the club changes.

 

Mr Monk doesn't help matters when he says we will have setbacks, yes we will, and every team does, but saying it out loud so that players think it is acceptable, is a mistake.

 

We are just 7 points better than last season but with our current form of just 6 points from six games a loss against Wigan could send us bottom of the form league.

 

Something has got to change and quickly. Forget the QPR game it is irrelevant. The Wigan game is now a must win.

 

 

 

 

If you were there what made you stay when we were 4-0 to Norwich at ht in the 01/02 season where we lost 0-5  and were utter garbage?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, alanharper said:

 

Are you Mick Channon? 

Mexico '86 punditry 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bulldog said:

I remember the FA cup replay on my birthday in 1988 and it was 0:5 at half time so we all went to the pub! (Unless you're talking about another game)

Remember it very  well,especially for Colin West's awful miss in the first few minutes of that game.45 mins later we were 5-0 down.left the ground after they scored the fifth.:duntmatter:WTF:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bulldog said:

I remember the FA cup replay on my birthday in 1988 and it was 0:5 at half time so we all went to the pub! (Unless you're talking about another game)

Same here.

Only time ever we left a match at halftime. We were back in the Abbey at Woodseats before final whistle 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Ibbo48 said:

Same here.

Only time ever we left a match at halftime. We were back in the Abbey at Woodseats before final whistle 

Was it you that spilt my pint in the tap room?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bobness said:

I don't understand these threads. Yes, we were awful yesterday, but more awful than any other home game in the past 65 years? I wish that were true. 

 

I take your point, but of all the horrible stuff we have sat through during the bad times, a lot of it was where our opponents were equally horrific. It is not that often that we have been without hope at half time. Yesterday there was no coming back and just more of the same. So no it wasn't the most dreadful but it was certainly up there amongst the most hopeless.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...