Second time in 65 Years

Like so many of us I have been an Owl from birth. I attended my first match when I was 6 in 1954 over 65 years ago. There was a period when I lived abroad when I couldn't attend, but going to the match is something in my make up. (For you jokers, no I don't wear any.)

Only once in all that time have I left a game at half-time, and that was when we were 4-0 down to Everton during Gary Linacre's time there. Incidentally Everton were mesmerizingly good and the Owls fans were really cheering their team on but recognised we were being ripped apart by a very, very, good team. It was a midweek game and I had been in a meeting in Brighton and raced up the M1 to make the game. I was also very hungry so I left to get dinner as it was game over.

Well yesterday was the second time. This time though it was just a normal Saturday. We were, despite the sending off, absolutely rubbish. Blackburn wanted to win and we never gave them a single moment of competition. I cannot recall such a spineless, clueless, and hapless performance from a Wednesday side and believe me I've sat through some absolute dross in those 65 years. 

I am actually considering not renewing my season ticket, even though going to the match is one of the few things that keeps me active and alive. We are not going up this season or any other season till the whole mentality of the club changes.

Mr Monk doesn't help matters when he says we will have setbacks, yes we will, and every team does, but saying it out loud so that players think it is acceptable, is a mistake.

We are just 7 points better than last season but with our current form of just 6 points from six games a loss against Wigan could send us bottom of the form league.

Something has got to change and quickly. Forget the QPR game it is irrelevant. The Wigan game is now a must win.

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, mark1948 said:

Like so many of us I have been an Owl from birth. I attended my first match when I was 6 in 1954 over 65 years ago. There was a period when I lived abroad when I couldn't attend, but going to the match is something in my make up. (For you jokers, no I don't wear any.)

Only once in all that time have I left a game at half-time, and that was when we were 4-0 down to Everton during Gary Linacre's time there. Incidentally Everton were mesmerizingly good and the Owls fans were really cheering their team on but recognised we were being ripped apart by a very, very, good team. It was a midweek game and I had been in a meeting in Brighton and raced up the M1 to make the game. I was also very hungry so I left to get dinner as it was game over.

Well yesterday was the second time. This time though it was just a normal Saturday. We were, despite the sending off, absolutely rubbish. Blackburn wanted to win and we never gave them a single moment of competition. I cannot recall such a spineless, clueless, and hapless performance from a Wednesday side and believe me I've sat through some absolute dross in those 65 years. 

I am actually considering not renewing my season ticket, even though going to the match is one of the few things that keeps me active and alive. We are not going up this season or any other season till the whole mentality of the club changes.

Mr Monk doesn't help matters when he says we will have setbacks, yes we will, and every team does, but saying it out loud so that players think it is acceptable, is a mistake.

We are just 7 points better than last season but with our current form of just 6 points from six games a loss against Wigan could send us bottom of the form league.

Something has got to change and quickly. Forget the QPR game it is irrelevant. The Wigan game is now a must win.

Are you Mick Channon? 

• Haha 7

26 minutes ago, mark1948 said:

Forget the QPR game it is irrelevant.

Speak for yourself - I've got tickets! I hope to see a reaction - even if it is from a lot of fringe players who won't be first choice against Wigan.

We were never 4-0 down against Everton.  It was 0-5 in the cup and I wish it was in Linekers season but it wasn't. Graeme Sharp got a hattrick. 

The QPR game is very important. If we beat them, it gives us a confidence boost and we might get a home glamour tie in the 5th round. Plus we'll have the usual good away support at QPR who aren't going to watch a reserve game.

Yes, we were rubbish.  Didn't look bothered.  Agree there.  Best win of season followed by worst defeat.  Unexplainable.  

Similarly to the OP I've been going for years usually never leave before the final whistle, yesterday 3 of went on their 4th goal there were literally thousands streaming out the ground  !. The weird thing was the lack of anger even though we were getting well and truly dismantled by a very average Blackburn side. Apathy is the worst thing you can have round a football club and we seem to have it in spades. 

I don't claim to know what to do about it but something has to change and I'm not advocating getting rid of a manager who's having to use someone else's players. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Lincs Owl said:

We were never 4-0 down against Everton.  It was 0-5 in the cup and I wish it was in Linekers season but it wasn't. Graeme Sharp got a hattrick. 

We were definitely 4-0 down at some point in that 0-5 game though!

Yeah it was 1-5 in Lineker's solitary season at Everton, think we'd had a really good start were 2nd in the league and it was our first defeat. Think we may have been 1-1 at one point although it's actually one of the very few games I've missed since I started going, was on holiday at the time and I remember checking the score in the English papers the next day and assuming they were all misprinted! 

32 minutes ago, Lincs Owl said:

The QPR game is very important. If we beat them, it gives us a confidence boost and we might get a home glamour tie in the 5th round. Plus we'll have the usual good away support at QPR who aren't going to watch a reserve game.

Yes, we were rubbish.  Didn't look bothered.  Agree there.  Best win of season followed by worst defeat.  Unexplainable.  

You are simply wrong. I was there it was 4-0 at half time.

1 minute ago, mark1948 said:

You are simply wrong. I was there it was 4-0 at half time.

On reflection it I think I was in my season ticket seat in the South when Gary Linecre was in the team but was in the North when I went home early so it must have been a cup game.

Lineker only played for them in 85-86 and in that season they beat us 5-1 at our place (September 3rd). Don't know the half time score though.

Edit: Found it on wikipedia. Lineker scored twice but it was 1-1 at half time.

Edited by roaminowl

Guest Kameron
51 minutes ago, Lincs Owl said:

We were and we lost 5-1 in September 85, Lineker got two.

https://www.11v11.com/matches/sheffield-wednesday-v-everton-03-september-1985-87695/