1-6, 1-7 91/92

2 minutes ago, RUMBELOWS91 said:

2 ridiculously heavy defeats in Jan /Feb 92. Finished 3rd 

No reason why this can't still be a successful season if we learn the lessons from yesterday and are smart in the transfer market in the next fortnight.

Yep.............28 years later...........same old Wednesday...........nothing has changed......no lessons learned

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, RUMBELOWS91 said:

No reason why this can't still be a successful season if we learn the lessons from yesterday and are smart in the transfer market in the next fortnight.

Did you also factor in three home defeats in succession into this comparison, or our inability to hold on to points even when leading after normal time?

Then again that record of not winning matches when going behind, hardly ever over the past two years, is hardly the stuff of promotion contenders.

I would be more optimistic if performances were good, but they're not. We've only scored 12 goals at home all season and not more than 2 in a game.

Sorry to be pessimistic but yesterday was pathetic.

Just now, Beauchief Owl said:

Did you also factor in three home defeats in succession into this comparison, or our inability to hold on to points even when leading after normal time?

Then again that record of not winning matches when going behind, hardly ever over the past two years, is hardly the stuff of promotion contenders.

I would be more optimistic if performances were good, but they're not. We've only scored 12 goals at home all season and not more than 2 in a game.

I'm saying let's not write the season off. Everyone was pretty optimistic going into yesterday. 

We battered Forest and all their fans said it had been coming. Seems like it was the kick up the backside they needed.

Football, and particularly the championship is very unpredictable. We're places quite well. If we can strengthen up top this week and Monk can get the formation right we're in with a shout of top 6.

2 minutes ago, Beauchief Owl said:

hence the exodus of us at half time onwards,people are getting really,really pissed of with it

Love the optimism but it's hard to keep the faith when every time we have a good spell we fall apart. We're far too inconsistent, way too fragile and atrocious at home. We really need some better attackers for this level. I'm fed up of all the false dawns. Difference between the early 90s and now, back then we had characters; top class players, leaders, multiple playmakers, a bit of everything, goals throughout the team and lethal attackers. I always felt back then, we would come good again whenever we lost because look at the team we had. This century, apart from a few occasions it's been atrocious and it seems, the next wee wee tail up is always lurking around the corner whenever things seem to be going well. I feel most sorry for our younger fellow fans, that have never known it to be as good as the early 90s was.

2 hours ago, RUMBELOWS91 said:

I'm saying let's not write the season off. Everyone was pretty optimistic going into yesterday. 

We battered Forest and all their fans said it had been coming. Seems like it was the kick up the backside they needed.

Football, and particularly the championship is very unpredictable. We're places quite well. If we can strengthen up top this week and Monk can get the formation right we're in with a shout of top 6.

Just posted something similar in another thread. Forest were struggling a bit for goals at home when we went to their place and hammered them, I bet their fans were equally as scathing about their team after that defeat but they are now 1 point off 3rd place.

The players lapped up the praise last weekend and so shouldn't be surprised or react negatively to any criticism this week. They need to take a look at themselves and acknowledge that what they have served up since Christmas at Hillsborough has not been good enough. 

It is vital that we get someone with the ability to lead the line and score goals in now though if we are to have any chance.

5 minutes ago, The Night-Owl said:

Love the optimism but it's hard to keep the faith when every time we have a good spell we fall apart. We're far too inconsistent, way too fragile and atrocious at home. We really need some better attackers for this level. I'm fed up of all the false dawns. Difference between the early 90s and now, back then we had characters; top class players, leaders, multiple playmakers, a bit of everything, goals throughout the team and lethal attackers. I always felt back then, we would come good again whenever we lost because look at the team we had. This century, apart from a few occasions it's been atrocious and it seems, the next wee wee tail up is always lurking around the corner whenever things seem to be going well. I feel most sorry for our younger fellow fans, that have never known it to be as good as the early 90s was.

I thought we had cracked this with the win against Bristol City. Playing with the chance to go 3rd against a decent away team with a couple of key players out was the kind of game where we usually come up short. Think we were unbeaten at home under Monk at that point having played some of the sides expected to be in contention.

Having won that one I thought we were set for a decent run of games, 3 homes performances since then have been awful. 

Guest Ferkorf

Don't say anything positive to the moaners on here, you will get it big time.... just seen them parading through middlewood with Forestieri hog tied to the back of a vauxhall corsa chanting Shame on you

you forget 1 thing that forest side were brilliant and had class top rated players I remember it well . the leeds game which was also shown live on itv which we lost 6-1 was a game where we had 13-14 players out injured and or struck down with a flu bug and half the team were playing who wernt anywhere near 100% due to the virus/flu bug remember Sheridan having it and playing . nothing can be compared to yesterday ,blackburn were bottom of form table and we didn't lay a glove on them or put any effort in at all. there is a big difference to losing to a better team or by a team full of shirkers like yesterday. 

2 hours ago, Beauchief Owl said:

12 Goals?? How dare you - it's 14....an average of 1 a game! :ph34r:

3 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

We’ve lost 10 of 28 games, promoted teams don’t do that 

Huddersfield lost 15 when they went up. As things stand I would be surprised if we only lost 5 more of the 18 remaining but it isn't inconceivable and the league is more compact this season.

3 minutes ago, nilsson said:

14 goals in 15 home games if you include Everton in the cup

No I was just including the league - which is bad enough without you making it worse! Unbelievable that we are the highest away scorers in the league (just 2 more than Blackburn :biggrin:)

4 minutes ago, Bulldog said:

No I was just including the league - which is bad enough without you making it worse! Unbelievable that we are the highest away scorers in the league (just 2 more than Blackburn :biggrin:)

In the 14 goals we’ve scored at home there’s 3 penalties aswell.

Another telling stat is that we’ve only scored 4 goals in the first half at home all season.

There’s a real issue about how we start games at Hillsborough. There’s never any intensity from us in the first half. 

That goes back further than Monk too, it was the same under Jos and under Carlos after the first year