We Need a New Forward Line

27 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

Well obviously. 

We desperately need the following:

1 x LB

2 x RB

1 x RW

4 x CF

From a contracts perspective I would retain Fox and Dawson, I’d keep Kieran Lee if we actually use him properly.

The rest can go.

I agree with most of that.

Priority for me is -

4 forwards

1 RW

2 CM (fed up the old guard, hutch, lee, joey and bannan, needs freshening up big time)

Then 1 RB (our RB isnt as high priority as the others) and maybe 1 LB depending on Penney.

3 minutes ago, billyblack said:

Priority for me is -

4 forwards

1 RW

2 CM (fed up the old guard, hutch, lee, joey and bannan, needs freshening up big time)

Then 1 RB (our RB isnt as high priority as the others) and maybe 1 LB depending on Penney.

RB would be high prio for me

We don’t have a single RB of required quality

Penney won’t make the grade IMO

2 minutes ago, billyblack said:

Priority for me is -

4 forwards

1 RW

krs9nFFjIKQ0.gif

• Haha 1

Total overhaul possible in summer and much needed. Far too often the current bunch have not shown the mental strength to succeed. We rarely win when we go behind (twice in about 50 matches), we concede late goals on a frequent basis and the complete meltdown yesterday after we were down to 10 men have all suggested a mental fragility.

Fletcher will be 33 next season and injury prone, are we honestly going to base our aspirations in the hope that he will maintain his best form and remain fit? We need almost a total re-think, re forwards, midfield and FB IMO.  Of course, a total embargo may scupper such plans.

Ironically, were we to get relegated via the EFL points deduction, it would force a drastic re-think of policy however unwelcome it might be.

Edited by Beauchief Owl

37 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

Hold on. 

Last 2 games prior to this.

Murphy - 1 goal

Reach - 1 goal, 1 assist

Thats in the first two games that we’ve set up this way.

That means they been directly responsible for 100% of our goals in the last 2 matches before Yesterday.

Away from home, and with a decent striker, that set up will gain us enough points for promotion At home it won’t We’ve seen that we need three in midfield, and I’d agree with that. However, if we are going to play with two wingers flanking a striker, those wide players need to get in the box more often. So say, when the ball is wide left, the guy on the right needs to be attacking the far post

14 minutes ago, bradowl said:

We could have had Messi up front yesterday and it wouldn't have made much difference, right across midfield we was terrible from start, defence was no better first half. 

It could be argued we were terrible before the start given GMs masterplan to play long high balls to Winnall as our plan of attack. That was the equivalent of passing the ball back to the opposition, yet we kept persisting with it until the game was effectively lost.

1 hour ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Been saying it ever since Joao and Hooper left that they need replacing. The forwards we have a the moment are simply not upto the job of being above average Championship players.

From time to time they produce but to often its glaringly obvious that we need so much better.  

Have been surprised that we didn't have any lined up as soon as the transfer window opened, it appears we only start looking when the window opens. 

Hopefully by the end of the week we do get someone in but I fear that we will be hearing, 'we have tried but we can't get them the over line'. 

Looks increasingly likely that we will not be getting anyone and will be relying on what we have. 

Therefore bang goes promotion.

absolutely spot on bud,but lets be honest after yesterday the defence was abysmal as well,we concede so many stupid goals because of individual errors,

Mowbray made a point in his post match press conference of saying he had a young energetic side, 18,19, 20 year olds. Thats totally the opposite to our "experienced", laboured team. 

1 hour ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Been saying it ever since Joao and Hooper left that they need replacing. The forwards we have a the moment are simply not upto the job of being above average Championship players.

From time to time they produce but to often its glaringly obvious that we need so much better.  

Have been surprised that we didn't have any lined up as soon as the transfer window opened, it appears we only start looking when the window opens. 

Hopefully by the end of the week we do get someone in but I fear that we will be hearing, 'we have tried but we can't get them the over line'. 

Looks increasingly likely that we will not be getting anyone and will be relying on what we have. 

said it a few times really believe,Fletcher aside,we have the worst strikers in the division

Nice piece last night on match of the day about how a forward (Wilson) was not scoring for Bournemouth. They didn't advocate getting rid of him, they explained that Bournemouth had resorted to banging long balls up to him as a lone striker without supporting runners. We would be saying we need better than Callum Wilson!  

2 hours ago, McRightSide said:

That’s not what I said.

I said I would release them all and sign 4 strikers.  

Matt Smith as our battering ram option.

Currently that role is played by Nuhiu.

Wouldnt we have to pay them off not as simple as releasing anc then just sign 4 strikers

Guest LittleG
3 hours ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Fully agree that we need at least 2 forwards in this window. Unfortunately we also need a couple of midfielders, a wide player and a right back; that might give us a fighting chance of a play off place.