Bannan dropping deep.

Got mentioned alot yesterday. 

He keeps coming to the defensive line which vacates the midfield. 

It's not Monk who tells him to do this is it? He's done it under all the managers. 

It's Bannan's decision.

But why does he keep doing it?

For me it's when they put a player on him. We need a strategy to allow him to have the ball even when this happens. Under Luhukay, Pelupessy was his chaperone.

Be interested to hear what people's views and solutions are to this.  

Edited by Beholder

Monk is the one who actually chose him to play in that position, which then forced him even deeper.

He wasn’t on the toes of the centre-half, he was actually between them at some points. 

It worked against Leeds because we compressed our entire side to force them down the channels, and then relied on our ability to defend crosses. In reality we were fortunate to be level at HT.

Dealing with this does not simply require a look at Bannan - make no mistake - he performed despite the subpar Pelupessy, not because of him. 

instead we have to look at the whole construct of the side - for example, if you play one upfront you need to play Lee and Luongo...but then you also need a forward who can create space - so it has to be Nuhiu.

I also don’t think we need a deep lying midfielder at home to Blackburn (who we’re missing Dack remember) 

It just more negative management from Monk.

9 minutes ago, Beholder said:

It's Bannan's decision.

But why does he keep doing it?

Partly because he doesn't trust other players as much as himself, and likes to dictate as much of our play out from the back as he can.

Partly because if he gets marked up in the centre he struggles a bit to find the room he likes to pick a pass, and dropping deep gives him more of that.

Unfortunately it also leaves us with a massive void in the middle of the park, through which opposition teams walk unimpeded time and time again, and very little in the way of link-up play when we have possession (besides long balls to Fletcher, or to nobody when Fletch is out).

Edited by Mr. Tom

He played anchor against Leeds and it worked. Mowbray did his homework yesterday. He targeted our right back and he pressed us high up the pitch and got their players busy around our midfield and back line and they just strolled around bannan.

I think it’s a poor league this year but what I will say is that it’s more coached and analysed than ever before. 

Personally, I think we should stick with the 4-1-4-1 and bring in a quality striker if possible and another wide man that can score goals. Easier said than done. But, we are certainly looking at these styles in this window. Bring Hutch back in CDM and move bannan further up the pitch.