A lack of quality up front

How long have I been banging on about this, must be three years now Most were saying, we had an embarrassment of riches in the forward area Even short sighted pundits were jumping on that bandwagon We may have had numbers, but we certainly didn’t have quality 

Now I would say, the majority are in agreement, our up front options are, and never have been good enough. 
Hopefully this will finally be addressed in this window, because until it is, we are merely papering over the cracks.

Reading some of the reactions on here to yesterday’s defeat, though understandable, a lot are missing the point Wholesale changes aren’t needed in my opinion, but if they are, it won’t happen in this window. The fundamental issue remains, that our forwards aren’t good enough, and constant tinkering with the way we play, doesn’t disguise that It just creates problems elsewhere. 
It’s like, if you have an issue with your house, if you ignore it, and don’t fix it, other issues will appear We know what the issue is here, it should have been fixed in the summer, and it sure as hell needs fixing now, and quickly

Midfield is the issue for me. There is no genuine box to box player there, no goals and a complete over reliance on one player to create everything

Yesterday Blackburn just passed it round us, even when it was 11 against 11

You can completely re engineer the forward line but it still doesn’t sort the major issue with the team

4 minutes ago, yeadonowl said:

Midfield is the issue for me. There is no genuine box to box player there, no goals and a complete over reliance on one player to create everything

Yesterday Blackburn just passed it round us, even when it was 11 against 11

You can completely re engineer the forward line but it still doesn’t sort the major issue with the team

Luongo and Lee can both go box to box and score goals

But if the ball spends zero time in the opposition half they have no chance to do their work

It doesn’t spend any time there because we have no quality at the top of the pitch 

Just now, McRightSide said:

But if the ball spends zero time in the opposition half they have no chance to do their work

It doesn’t spend any time there because we have no quality at the top of the pitch 

This, with more movement ahead, we might be able to get a bit further up the pitch

Losing Hooper and João without bringing in a new forward has left us very over-reliant on Fletcher. Now that he's out, we're really struggling to fashion a forward line out of Nuhiu, Winnall and Rhodes.

Monk's clearly trying to address this, but whether we can sign teh calibre of player needed in this transfer window remains to be seen.

25 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

Keiren Lee is shot as a player for me

Typified in the first 10mins yesterday when he burst forward and instead of pulling the trigger from outside the area he just tamely lost the ball

Hes tried to come back, it hasn’t worked and now we need to move on. Too many people think he is the player of years gone by when clearly he isn’t 

If we are going to make any kind of push for the play offs we need more from midfield. How many goals have we got from central midfield this season?

Not one of our strikers has any pace or ability to take a player on and create any sort of goal scoring opportunity themselves! Needs a huge re think, personally I’d give fletcher a one year contract and probably get ride of big Dave and certainly get rid of Rhodes and winnall , if possible offload now before contract is up and we get nothing for them in the summer ! 

2 minutes ago, yeadonowl said:

Keiren Lee is shot as a player for me

Typified in the first 10mins yesterday when he burst forward and instead of pulling the trigger from outside the area he just tamely lost the ball

Hes tried to come back, it hasn’t worked and now we need to move on. Too many people think he is the player of years gone by when clearly he isn’t 

If we are going to make any kind of push for the play offs we need more from midfield. How many goals have we got from central midfield this season?

Bazza 1 

luongo 2

hutch 1

lee 0

joey 0

very poor , reach only has 1 league goal also !

Big clear out is needed and  that should happen this summer/, although time to rebuild is needed.

However 20 yrs away from the top flight its so hard to keep the faith as the unwashed continue to thrive.

Its not an  easy time  being an Owl, the tunnel currently has no light at the end. 

Edited by Big Jack

Worth trying Harris up top if we can’t bring a forward in?

Id rather have a small pesty player play off the shoulder off the last man and continuously have Bannan play channel balls than watch Winnall look exasperated. Even if we played him up top with Rhodes to play off? 

Cant be any worse 

39 minutes ago, FlyingOwl said:

Worth trying Harris up top if we can’t bring a forward in?

Id rather have a small pesty player play off the shoulder off the last man and continuously have Bannan play channel balls than watch Winnall look exasperated. Even if we played him up top with Rhodes to play off? 

Cant be any worse 

Might be worth a try, but sounds a bit desperate.  We do need to be more imaginative.     

3 hours ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Might be worth a try, but sounds a bit desperate.  We do need to be more imaginative.     

Desperate is exactly what it is.

Saw Nuhiu warming up yesterday to come on and put my head in my hands. And that’s not Cos I’m a Nuhiu basher. I’m a fan of what he brings to the table and think he still has a good part to play at certain moments. Yesterday was not one of those moments. 

Would have rather brought Harris on and just told him to hang off the last man & sprint as soon as a forward ball is played.

6 minutes ago, FlyingOwl said:

Desperate is exactly what it is.

Saw Nuhiu warming up yesterday to come on and put my head in my hands. And that’s not Cos I’m a Nuhiu basher. I’m a fan of what he brings to the table and think he still has a good part to play at certain moments. Yesterday was not one of those moments. 

Would have rather brought Harris on and just told him to hang off the last man & sprint as soon as a forward ball is played.

Indeed - what on earth was Monk thinking - Nuhiu and Murphy as the front two. It failed, and then Murphy drifted back off to the wing to hide, leaving a stranding and immobile Nuhiu playing the last post.