Kieran Lee

Guest Ash76

2 hours ago, frastheowl said:

This coming a week after he had a great game away at Leeds.

Why does everybody have to be so reactionary?

Why is balance and rationale, seemingly redundant these days amongst football fans?

He had a really poor game yesterday, as did another 12-13 players. Why single him out? Odd.

And at Brighton too.

We lost yesterday because of Monks tactics - we couldn’t get a grip early on and he left it too late, the red card didn’t help but we shouldn’t have capitulated to 5-0.

11 minutes ago, TodwickOwl said:

And at Brighton too.

We lost yesterday because of Monks tactics - we couldn’t get a grip early on and he left it too late, the red card didn’t help but we shouldn’t have capitulated to 5-0.

We lost yesterday because Blackburn wanted it more than us and won every 50/50 , regardless of tactics you won’t win many games by doing that, even at 3 and 4 nil they wanted it more and continued winning tackles and throwing themselves in front of the ball, which is what we did at boro and forest. 

2 hours ago, Kraschenbern said:

All about opinions ain't it. For me I'd have a fit Lee in a midfield three with Hutch and Luongo. Personally think Bannan is what's holding us back. I know that will be an unpopular opinion on here. 

I don't agree that Bannan is holding us back. Some games he's magnificent.

It is true though that if he has an off day we are odds on to be rubbish. We depend on him too much, partly because he demands the ball so much. The other players leave him to it so when he doesn't perform none of them step up to take over.

Yes Bannan is best further forwards but he does come too deep. I don't think we need to get rid of Bannan but we do need stronger characters around him who will share the load.

3 hours ago, 2roland2 said:

Pretty much every post on here the past two,games are about lee being the most intelligent player we have and what a difference he makes, 

Then you single him out in this game saying he’s done lol 

you just love attention 

This

Lee is probably my favourite player in Wednesday’s recent history but he hasn’t scored a goal since October 2017 which says a lot really.

When Lee was at best he was always involved in the play, making runs into the box and scoring goals. 

With Luongo suspended now though we don’t have many options in the middle and he’d still arguably be the best right back in the squad which shows how short we are in that area too

All week we've talking about dawson and signing him up long term. 

He was rubbish yesterday. 

So in that case let's get rid. He's not up this level. Needs to go to league 2. Waste of a pair of gloves blah blah blah. 

Utter nonsense post. But as expected I suppose 

3 hours ago, Ash76 said:

What a great piece of business and servant to the club he has been but he’s finished here now I’m sad to say.

Has little influence on games nowadays and just seems to follow  the game. He doesn’t get close enough to the opposition and refuses to contest 2nd balls. 

He isn’t effective in possession anymore, and wants way too long on the ball. His first touch isn’t what it was either.

It’s sad too see but we’re now watching his time here come to an end and I think if he wants to carry on playing he’ll have to drop down a level.

Might be unpopular but I wouldn’t have him anywhere the first 11 again but I’ll remember him fondly when he inevitably does leave.

As I live outside UK so have to rely on iFollow I may be wrong but I still think he adds a lot in a midfield 3. This is because I think he does as much if not more off the ball (closing down space, harrassing opposites, tackling, running into space) than on it. Can any of those who attend games confirm this or is it just wishful thinking on my part?

1 hour ago, should know better said:

He is still ok with the right players around him, he certainly gets closer to the opposition and intercepts more ball than our so called superstar. He is more than willing to get forward and indeed that seems to be his first thought rather than a lot of our players who would rather turn back. He is the  type of player who likes to play  short with others but we are a long ball side at the moment.

He did not have his best game yesterday but defensively we were playing with 9 men, BB was marking the ref as usual. I think any midfielder (Luongo will be the next one to get stick) will struggle playing with Bannan. 

Someone will trot out the assists of BB blindly but could it be the case that if say Reach took all free kicks/corners/penalties  and all the play went through him he might have more assists.  BB playing where he decides is killing us, anyone sat in the North or South will notice his lack of positioning out of possession week in week out. It is perhaps less noticeable on tv as he is often out of the picture when we are under the cosh. The notion that teams man mark him is utter rubish, Holtby simply picked him up when he was nearest man then just marched off to score two goals.

KL is not the issue the superstar that no one wants to buy playing deep is the real issue.

What has taking penalties got to do with assists? Not that Bannan takes most of our penalties anyway. The reason someone like Reach doesn't take all our corners and free-kicks is presumably because when we train and when we play Bannan is the most effective at set piece delivery. 

Bannan is ineffective when too deep and offers little defensively, he was playing in the wrong position from the start yesterday, surely that is down to the manager. 

2 hours ago, Grassy knoll said:

We lost yesterday because Blackburn wanted it more than us and won every 50/50 , regardless of tactics you won’t win many games by doing that, even at 3 and 4 nil they wanted it more and continued winning tackles and throwing themselves in front of the ball, which is what we did at boro and forest. 

One of those days then

I thought a few weeks back when was last time we had a pasting 

We need to react fast

6 hours ago, Ash76 said:

What a great piece of business and servant to the club he has been but he’s finished here now I’m sad to say.

Has little influence on games nowadays and just seems to follow  the game. He doesn’t get close enough to the opposition and refuses to contest 2nd balls. 

He isn’t effective in possession anymore, and wants way too long on the ball. His first touch isn’t what it was either.

It’s sad too see but we’re now watching his time here come to an end and I think if he wants to carry on playing he’ll have to drop down a level.

Might be unpopular but I wouldn’t have him anywhere the first 11 again but I’ll remember him fondly when he inevitably does leave.

I think that's a really fair and accurate summary.   There were rumours at the time that his injury was career threatening and although he's done well to get back on the pitch, he's not the player he was sadly. 

7 hours ago, Wednesday_Jack said:

Or maybe just an off day for the lad? His last couple of performances have been pretty decent.

Yesterday he may have been worse than he's capable, but he's certainly an absolute shadow of what he was before struck by injury. 

Gutted for him. 

5 minutes ago, Cockers said:

I think that's a really fair and accurate summary.   There were rumours at the time that his injury was career threatening and although he's done well to get back on the pitch, he's not the player he was sadly. 

Yes, sadly I have to agree with this 100%.

he will always be remembered fondly here, but we need to move on - and move him on - having said that, based on yesterday’s showing, he’s certainly not the only one, by a long chalk

I’ve said before Kieran lee is a sadly a spent force now. I don’t think he gets another contract anyway. He has been a terrific servant to the club.

The club will undergo major transition in summer regardless, with so many players out of contract. I think there are as many as 14 including loan players out of contract. 

The team will be unrecognisable next season (hopefully for the better) with younger, more athletic hungry players on much reduced wages. The old guard will be no more.

10 hours ago, Ash76 said:

Why single out Lee, they were all a disgrace yesterday.? 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, TodwickOwl said:

And at Brighton too.

No we didn't.

We lost, because we didn't compete from the 1st minute.

No team will win a competitive game of football, if they don't compete and do the basics correct.

I've just watched Liverpool and Man Utd. Now Liverpool are a fantastic side...but the main reason why they are going to win this Premier League at a canter, is there unrelenting desire, right through the side, to compete and win their individual battles. They are the 1st to every ball, they pry upon every mistake, they love working hard and winning that ball back. 

If Liverpool, one of the best side's in the World, feel as though they have to do those basics correct all the time, then why on Earth do our mediocre players feel they are too good for it?

To blame Monk solely for the defeat is as ridiculous as writing Kieran Lee off as "finished".