If you compare our midfield with Blackburn’s would you swap any of theirs and play Baz? 

He takes floaty free kicks and corners. Downing gave him a masterclass in both areas.

It’s not Baz’s fault and in a top midfield he ‘could’ be a wizard, but if he’s marked out of the game (not hard to do) then we’re done. Long ball doesn’t work for us as we don’t have anyone to hold it up. 

8 hours ago, peacock1961 said:

Bannan plays where Bannan wants to play, and that my friend is the problem. 

Does he f*ck 

If you think that’s true then you have zero clue about football

You don’t think Monk sets up how he should play every week? 

36 minutes ago, Owl 44 said:

Is your letter 'n' being temperamental or do you have a twitchy finger? 

lol  for some reason it’s my iPad, it is horrific for doing it. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Here we go. He sat deep today because we had 10 men. The entire game plan went out the window.

Who was moaning last week with Bannan’s performance in a midfield three? 
No one. 

I was.

He was at the base of our midfield triangle for 75 minutes, then got moved further forward in the triangle... then we scored two goals. Fair enough, we kept it at 0-0 for 75 minutes versus Leeds, but we never rarely looked threatening from open play during that time. Bannan at the base of our midfield trio will never, ever make us a cohesive attacking threat. He likes to come deep to collect the ball at the best of times... at that base he comes deeper than our entire back line.

Lost track of the number of times yesterday I saw he and Börner interchange passes, Börner get bored and step forward 5/10 yards, look for an out ball only to find Bannan occupying his LCB spot and every other búgger 40 yards away from him waiting for one of those Bannan pings/second ball wins. We're clueless on how to pass through the lines, which is no good when you have one 5'10'' striker to aim at.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

3 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

I was.

He was at the base of our midfield triangle for 75 minutes, then got moved further forward in the triangle... then we scored two goals. Fair enough, we kept it at 0-0 for 75 minutes versus Leeds, but we never rarely looked threatening from open play during that time. Bannan at the base of our midfield trio will never, ever make us a cohesive attacking threat. He likes to come deep to collect the ball at the best of times... at that base he comes deeper than our entire back line.

Lost track of the number of times yesterday I saw he and Börner interchange passes, Börner get bored and step forward 5/10 yards, look for an out ball only to find Bannan occupying his LCB spot and every other búgger 40 yards away from him waiting for one of those Bannan pings/second ball wins. We're clueless on how to pass through the lines, which is no good when you have one 5'10'' striker to aim at.

You weren’t the only one bemoaning fact we are/were playing our most creative player as a defensive mid and that often Borner has to take responsibility both to bring the ball out and to step into midfield and make a tackle.

Bannan is great at certain things but his other limitations means other players end up doing the work of two men. 

We can’t keep making excuses for our star man. Sometimes he has a poor game, And when he does, we lose. Yesterday he was very poor, only Luongo scores worse than him of our outfield players on whoscored. 

C439421F-A57F-45FE-9453-35756B81388A.thumb.jpeg.4a57a2e271054b1b0f8f128b83c053e2.jpeg

10 hours ago, WadsleyOwl said:

The first member of the squad I’d sell, take £3 million for him in a heartbeat, the sooner he’s away from our midfield the better, neg away but I want a team not every movement going through one man. 

you know your not only one whats saying this me and lad next to me have been saying this for ages . he is by a mile the most overrated player in championship history , sky think he is god  . he scores an average of 1 goal per season even though he takes free kicks etc ,his corner taking quite often is woeful , he easily gets bullied been so small , and plays so deep sometimes its unreal . he is far from undroppable . 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, handworth52 said:

you know your not only one whats saying this me and lad next to me have been saying this for ages . he is by a mile the most overrated player in championship history , sky think he is god  . he scores an average of 1 goal per season even though he takes free kicks etc ,his corner taking quite often is woeful , he easily gets bullied been so small , and plays so deep sometimes its unreal . he is far from undroppable . 

I think if other clubs have watched him an few times they will be reluctant to bid, who would take a chance on him ruining their team structure. Most teams have a work ethic, their midfielders are not allowed to withdraw from combat when the opposition attack.

• Like 1

Most assists of ANY championship player in 2019(calendar year ) yet he’s the problem apparently lol , 

forward line and full backs are the main areas for me! Fox has improved massively but is he a quality full back , answer is no , best he will ever be is solid and dependable , this applies to Palmer too, forward line I think we all know it’s embarrassingly bad and needs a massive re think

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, BarnsleyOwl96 said:

Most assists of ANY championship player in 2019(calendar year ) yet he’s the problem apparently lol

forward line and full backs are the main areas for me! Fox has improved massively but is he a quality full back , answer is no , best he will ever be is solid and dependable , this applies to Palmer too, forward line I think we all know it’s embarrassingly bad and needs a massive re think

your skim reading this thread fella, I don’t think anyone is questioning his ability, although the stats you mention I would like to think if I took every throw in freekick and corner for a team I would have a fair few assists too lol 

read back though, it’s about where we are playing him or where he is deciding to play if it’s his choice. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, BarnsleyOwl96 said:

Most assists of ANY championship player in 2019(calendar year ) yet he’s the problem apparently lol

the only area in the team what I wouldn't change is centre defence the rest of the team/squad needs huge changes . like a lot have said its no longer fun going to home games and it aint been for 3-4 years usually quite depressing and boring. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 2roland2 said:

your skim reading this thread fella, I don’t think anyone is questioning his ability, although the stats you mention I would like to think if I took every throw in freekick and corner for a team I would have a fair few assists too lol 

read back though, it’s about where we are playing him or where he is deciding to play if it’s his choice. 

Every single team generally has the same free kick and corner taker so clearly his delivery is better than most in the league 

appreciate he plays too far back (especially at home ) but feel we have far bigger issues to talk about than bazza

• Agree 1

Just now, BarnsleyOwl96 said:

Every single team generally has the same free kick and corner taker so clearly his delivery is better than most in the league 

appreciate he plays too far back (especially at home ) but feel we have far bigger issues to talk about than bazza

yeah but this is part of what I and apparently a lot of others think is the problem, he wants to take freekicks even deep back in his own half, said it before he’s the over eager school kid who wants the ball 100% of the time. 

by no means will I ever question his ability, he is a great player but as you say the deep role is no go for him. But for the amount of set pieces he takes I would expect he would get more assists. I don’t think he should take all our corners and freekicks but there you go.

keep saying this but I honestly don’t think he trusts the other players which is why he wants the ball and comes deep and why he wants every set piece. 
I also understand his thinking and partly agree but him doing the above doesn’t help the team and leaves him not doing his own job as effective. 

let’s not pretend here although he’s shown moments of brilliance this season ( as he always does) I would say this is his worst season so far since we signed him in terms of his match to match consistency.  Obv that’s just my view 

5 minutes ago, BarnsleyOwl96 said:

also the bigger issues imo are caused because of how banana is playing in this deep role. Well that and the direct football we have decided to play that bypasses the entire strength of skill we have in midfield with reach, bannan and lee and Harris but....

2 minutes ago, handworth52 said:

the only area in the team what I wouldn't change is centre defence the rest of the team/squad needs huge changes . like a lot have said its no longer fun going to home games and it aint been for 3-4 years usually quite depressing and boring. 

Agree mate , based on 11 yesterday I would summarise the team below

Dawson - fairly young (granted)but doesn’t always aspire with confidence with kicking and commanding of area

fox - improved massively however I ask the question is he top level, you look at the best left backs in this league (bryan , Dallas , gibbs, Rico Henry ) all attack minded which fox lacks. The best fox will be is solid.

iorfa- been immense generally , still someone’s has a mistake Or looks like he could make one ,but usually class , no issues 

borner - as above , generally immense and been a top signing , no issues 

palmer - similar to box in terms of best he will be is solid , top right backs in this league ( Ayling , Dalsgaard, furlong , matty cash) Palmer not in same league

murphy- zero bottle , odd flash of goood work but not enough and certainly not a team player that’s got the attitude and mentality over a 46 game long haul 

bannan- does play too far back and everything seems to have to go through him but usually our main man in midfield , no issues 

luongo - settled In OK could do more and expect more to come but generally no issues 

lee- think his best days may have gone , contributed no goals this season and he’s been a great servant but think this could be his last year 

reach - doesn’t offer enough for me but if we keep him on the left wing and don’t try to over complicate it by thinking he can play central or wide right then think he could start to get a few more assists and goals (as per assist at Leeds and goal at Brighton ) playing on the left 

Winnall- not good enough for me , he’s has enough starts and chances to have more goals and contributions 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, 2roland2 said:

yeah but this is part of what I and apparently a lot of others think is the problem, he wants to take freekicks even deep back in his own half, said it before he’s the over eager school kid who wants the ball 100% of the time. 

by no means will I ever question his ability, he is a great player but as you say the deep role is no go for him. But for the amount of set pieces he takes I would expect he would get more assists. I don’t think he should take all our corners and freekicks but there you go.

keep saying this but I honestly don’t think he trusts the other players which is why he wants the ball and comes deep and why he wants every set piece. 
I also understand his thinking and partly agree but him doing the above doesn’t help the team and leaves him not doing his own job as effective. 

let’s not pretend here although he’s shown moments of brilliance this season ( as he always does) I would say this is his worst season so far since we signed him in terms of his match to match consistency.  Obv that’s just my view 

agree with a lot of that , do understand everything goes through him so by the law of averages he’s going to get more assists than most due to the sheer amount of time he has the ball. 

I would say though if you go through our starting 11 as who you would say yep he’s good enough for a starting 11 bazza is one of them. I think if we get better players around him and upfront it will help him to play higher . Problem is for our midfielders they have no Out ball, they can’t clip it around the corner for a striker because we have no pacey forward to get in behind

• Agree 2

There's no reason why Bannan cant pick the ball up deep and then join in in the oppositions last third.

We're only talking about him running 50 yards. Take him about 6/7 seconds to cover that jogging. Not sure we're that lightening fast with the ball that he can't get involved again.

Does my nut in this that if he picks the ball up 35 yards from our goal he's apparently frozen out of that passage of play. It's simply not true.

• Confused 1

why the puzzled face 2Rolsnd2?

What's difficult to understand? 

People are missing the point entirely on Bannan, and are taking it as criticism when no one is saying that

Him playing in our penalty box is a huge issue. People can say this is the least of our problems, but this is absolutely the main problem we face. This is because we won’t create anything with him in there.

We don’t create anything = we don’t score goals. We don’t score goals = we don’t win football matches.

He really is that important to the team. We could have the best midfielder in the world playing for us, but if he’s playing in the completely wrong position (and having to carry our duties which aren’t his speciality) then they become obsolete.

Let me confirm AGAIN, no one is criticising Bannan’s ability 

25 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

People are missing the point entirely on Bannan, and are taking it as criticism when no one is saying that

Him playing in our penalty box is a huge issue. People can say this is the least of our problems, but this is absolutely the main problem we face. This is because we won’t create anything with him in there.

We don’t create anything = we don’t score goals. We don’t score goals = we don’t win football matches.

He really is that important to the team. We could have the best midfielder in the world playing for us, but if he’s playing in the completely wrong position (and having to carry our duties which aren’t his speciality) then they become obsolete.

Let me confirm AGAIN, no one is criticising Bannan’s ability 

Bannan only hovers around the oppositions box when we have a sustained period of pressure. Unfortunately we don't have the players to dominate teams, and they are more comfortable soaking up pressure then breaking occasionally. This means BB must drop deeper to pick the ball up when we are in possession. He then looks for an outlet in front of him... Where are the offensive midfielders? Where are the forwards? Where are the overlapping full backs? We are so static at times, it's like the refs blown his whistle for a stoppage. 

I don't know what the answer is TBH - we clearly need new and better players - I agree with the earlier post that from yesterday, the new full back, Fox, Murphy, Lee and Winnall wouldn't get a game - certainly in my team. Reach is a fair weather player IMO and goes missing when the going is tuff. Add Nuihu and Hutch as first half and half time replacements and you question where is the personnel that can change a game?

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Animis said:

Bannan only hovers around the oppositions box when we have a sustained period of pressure. Unfortunately we don't have the players to dominate teams, and they are more comfortable soaking up pressure then breaking occasionally. This means BB must drop deeper to pick the ball up when we are in possession. He then looks for an outlet in front of him... Where are the offensive midfielders? Where are the forwards? Where are the overlapping full backs? We are so static at times, it's like the refs blown his whistle for a stoppage. 

I don't know what the answer is TBH - we clearly need new and better players - I agree with the earlier post that from yesterday, the new full back, Fox, Murphy, Lee and Winnall wouldn't get a game - certainly in my team. Reach is a fair weather player IMO and goes missing when the going is tuff. Add Nuihu and Hutch as first half and half time replacements and you question where is the personnel that can change a game?

When he drops deep his only outlet is the long ball over the top, which doesn’t play to our strengths. Borner and Iorfa can both carry the ball out and should be doing so more often to allow Bannan to take up a more attacking position.