owls maniac

Home games- Boring as hell

13 hours ago, owls maniac said:

Seriously, home games this season have been shocking. Dull football, one up front, next to no goals, atmosphere non existent as fans are immediately bored to submission. Easily worst home season since Stuart Gray. 

Anyone want a season ticket? Because I could quite happily not attend another one between now and May. 

Quit complaining, you watched 5 goals in a game. Value for money.

• Haha 3

The atmosphere at Hillsborough has been killed by the all-seater legislation we currently have, simple as. Problem is, we now have a generation of supporters who never experienced how a football match should feel.

The atmosphere is not helped either by the “gentrification” of the game I.e. people  complaining every verse end because of bad language etc, etc.

It’s no coincidence that away games are much more enjoyable because the away support always stands up and can feel the nervous energy created by the game.

Football is a tribal game and the adrenaline that (should) come with it is what makes it great for me. Making people sit down and shut up is always going to kill that atmosphere 

• Agree 6
  • Disagree 3

13 hours ago, Birstall Owl said:

Bar the Barnsley game we've been pretty awful in every other home game.

We've scored 14 goals in 14 games at home, only Wigan have scored less (12)

and up to yesterday only man city have scored more away goals in England than us , ive enjoyed most away games this season ,but at home only Barnsley for about 40 mins ive enjoyed. 

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, Westfield Owl said:

Today was way worst than anything cooked up by Luhukay.

Correct but last week it was better than anything cooked up by Luhukay. 

I still love going I am afraid to say.

i love the ground, it is a place where so many memories are for me and my family. I enjoy the vast majority of games we play there, win, lose or draw. The losses make the wins more special.  I enjoy a last minute equaliser against Fulham by Nuhiu as much as I enjoyed a late winner vs Man Utd by Jemson 30 years or so ago.

I must say I get annoyed with the fans stuck in the past. The ‘ better in my day ‘ brigade who bleat on about standing, 5 quid on the kop, a good tear up in the streets afterwards and running Leeds across town,  Chris waddle and Mel sterland , it really creates a barrier between younger fans and old. The bitterness often descends from these nostalgic types still in the stands. They will never be happy as life will always look better through rose tinted glasses to the past.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, danblakemore said:

It’s not just the football though, the whole experience is dull.

dont know whether it’s cos our ground is dated, whether I look back with rose tinted glasses to the sights and smells of my youth (I miss the smell of smoke, bovril and beer) or whether the culture of football has just changed.

We need something to attract the young, otherwise those not affiliated to a club will drift to S2. 

The young like coming to the ground and watching us. Football hasn’t changed really , but you , like all of us, have aged. The only smell missing from your list is smoke and you can still get a whiff of that if you go close enough to DC at the back of the south stand at the right time !

16 hours ago, edited said:

The thread is about home games tbf and you mention 0 of them

The thread was about home matches until bizarrely a Lincoln away pre-season friendly was mentioned, so I responded with those examples. Try to keep up.

My point isn't that we are playing Barcelona-esque football at home, my point is when we were Sat 3rd at Christmas it bothered absolutely nobody.

16 hours ago, stanningtonowl said:

Went to Leeds.
Four matches out of how many? Think you’ve answered this question yourself. How sad is that? Four matches???

Just off the top of my head, I'll let you count them. Were you complaining at Christmas when we were third in the table?

3 hours ago, mcmigo said:

I still love going I am afraid to say.

i love the ground, it is a place where so many memories are for me and my family. I enjoy the vast majority of games we play there, win, lose or draw. The losses make the wins more special.  I enjoy a last minute equaliser against Fulham by Nuhiu as much as I enjoyed a late winner vs Man Utd by Jemson 30 years or so ago.

I must say I get annoyed with the fans stuck in the past. The ‘ better in my day ‘ brigade who bleat on about standing, 5 quid on the kop, a good tear up in the streets afterwards and running Leeds across town,  Chris waddle and Mel sterland , it really creates a barrier between younger fans and old. The bitterness often descends from these nostalgic types still in the stands. They will never be happy as life will always look better through rose tinted glasses to the past.

Who knows, people may have similar memories of the current era in 20 years

"I was there when our goalie headed it into his own net." They'll say lol

19 hours ago, owls maniac said:

Seriously, home games this season have been shocking. Dull football, one up front, next to no goals, atmosphere non existent as fans are immediately bored to submission. Easily worst home season since Stuart Gray. 

Anyone want a season ticket? Because I could quite happily not attend another one between now and May. 

IF you want guaranteed results and entertainment watch WWE shows or the Theatre, Cinema, Circus, anything that is lot live.

5 minutes ago, adelphi1867 said:

IF you want guaranteed results and entertainment watch WWE shows or the Theatre, Cinema, Circus, anything that is lot live.

I’m not naive enough to expect results or entertainment every week. But football is in the entertainment industry, and I can probably count on one hand the number of entertaining games at Hillsborough in the last 4 years. Don’t think I’m asking a lot for an improvement on that. 

People round me in the N stand were slagging off the Young lad at r/b.

How on earth is that helping the lad or the team.

This time last week the very same players, playing the very same way, were 'Great' but due to the fickleness of Football fans, this week they were garbage.

We have watched this side now for 5 years, and apart from the 1st 4 months under Kick-a-ball they have been the same.

Yes DC had his pants down, but who was complaining then?.

NO BUGGER that's who.

Get the core of the 2016 squad out and bring in players who give a throw and be patient while they grow.

Saddly patience isn't some thing Wednesday fans have much of, and before any one get's on their high horse look at how many players have come in over the last 30 years, made an impression on the Plebs only to be slagged off a few weeks later.

Cultured has changed. Football isn’t the ‘escape from normal life’ opportunity it once was. It now has a lot more competition with regards to that, alternative things for people to do. Football has become less important in the grand scheme of things, people have other things going on in their lives

Back in the 80s, 90s and even early 00’s, technology was far less developed. Living was cheaper, everyone was happier. We have far too much negative poo going on in the world these days and people take that into match days 

• Agree 3

The home atmosphere really has suffered lately hasn’t it. I think the EFL charge is a factor because all our efforts on the pitch could be in vain. 

However there is a general apathy type feeling among fans probably because we knew we have/had money and blew it. Plus the league isn’t really that strong this year so it frustrates the hell out of us. 

It just feels like we will never go up. 

• Agree 1

19 hours ago, S36 OWL said:

The prices for the next home game against Millwall are a joke. 

https://www.swfc.co.uk/news/2020/january/ticket-details-owls-v-millwall/

Kop £33 

Grandstand £36 

South £39. 

And DC wonders why we have no POTD anymore. 

Really starting to dread that one given how well Millwall are doing at present.WTF:

2 hours ago, Owls2k said:

Just off the top of my head, I'll let you count them. Were you complaining at Christmas when we were third in the table?

Yes, I said “How are we third?” and isn’t the football boring. Watch us self implode. 
Then we went away to Stoke and the rest as they say is history. 

• Agree 1

23 hours ago, Pale Rider said:

Next to no goals? We had 5 today. 

Yeah but we only scored one :ghoulguy:

4 minutes ago, cross owl said:

Yeah but we only scored one :ghoulguy:

True, but it was a great header.

• Agree 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Weshallovercome said:

We miss Tango.

We miss Ros Wallace..