How difficult is it .....

2 minutes ago, shez owl said:

The club is very stale and the fans are too, the ones old enough to remember the good times are fed up and the ones who have never seen it have given up.

We don’t do anything differently to try and get the fans going. Why haven’t we trialed a singing section? As you say, it’s totally stale and makes the whole match day experience pretty tortuous. 

We smash middlesborough and forest away....

We just got our turn in the quagmire of the championship.... it's just the way it is.. its poo... look at other teams... all going the same way.. beat the top 6.. then lose against the bottom half.... just the championship rules... we just need to break the rules! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SallyCinnamon said:

They are normally the better players though right? 

Not always.

Look at the pigs for example. I’d argue none are great but their will to win, desire to improve and fight for the club is hard not to see. (The ones they’ve paid decent money for and supposedly better are the weak links)

We need a complete reset of the money we pay players as a starter.

Westwood and FF are extreme examples , as was Abdi, in that they are not even pretending to earn their money but we have got too many players on too much money. 

They are on big money, know they won’t get the same elsewhere so are just sitting out their contracts.

They know we can’t get rid because nobody else will pay them the same dosh.

The biggest mistake was giving Westwood big money again.

I hope the recent signings are on more reasonable wages and this becomes the norm. We need to set a max and not break it.

Edited by oldishowl

The club is run by a man who is the son of a very good businessman. Every part of the set up is League One. From the ball boys to catering, from the commercial team to the store, it’s League One. Nothing works well. The playing team were a one hit squad which came close.

Pick an Owls player that you’d put into that Blackburn team to improve it. There wasn’t one. There isn’t one.

This is how Wednesday are. This is it. We have Monk that brought nobody with him. He had to use Bullen. Bully is a hero but the squad isn’t improving. Stuart Gray now at Fulham is a very good coach.

we need a 5 year plan to run the club as a good business from the ground upwards. D.C. will soon get bored and his dad will keep the cheque book locked in a drawer.

59 minutes ago, torres said:

To change the culture of a football club? Because until this does I can’t see any dramatic difference in our fortunes for the foreseeable future 

We are one of the few special clubs that can beat a premier league team away, then go away to the top of the league and win 2-0, then play a team out of form at home and not only lose but lose embarrassingly 

It happens far too often, we are consistently inconsistent. This current bunch seem to embody that more than most. 

I feel Monk is as baffled and frustrated as us by it and given the opportunity could be the one to break this vicious circle (first time I’ve thought this about a manager for a long time) 

Not only does he need the chance to get rid of as many players as possible he also needs an overhaul of his backroom staff 

It’s been a comfortable place to be employed for far too long - performing twice a month shouldn’t be accepted 

Mid table mentality on top level wages, while we pay premier league prices 

Spot on about culture, that’s exactly what the issue is (certainly to my mind).  At best it’s stale. That’s what leads to the inconsistency. Too many passengers on a good wage and no leaders (where is our Roy Keane type figure?) I don’t know if it’s related, I’m sure it is, but it also seems there’s no connection with the fans when we’re at home (which is a big contrast to away games).

Unfortunately, you can’t change culture overnight - I think GM can definitely do it but he’ll need time and a couple of transfer windows. 

1 minute ago, toooldforthis said:

The club is run by a man who is the son of a very good businessman. Every part of the set up is League One. From the ball boys to catering, from the commercial team to the store, it’s League One. Nothing works well. The playing team were a one hit squad which came close.

Pick an Owls player that you’d put into that Blackburn team to improve it. There wasn’t one. There isn’t one.

This is how Wednesday are. This is it. We have Monk that brought nobody with him. He had to use Bullen. Bully is a hero but the squad isn’t improving. Stuart Gray now at Fulham is a very good coach.

we need a 5 year plan to run the club as a good business from the ground upwards. D.C. will soon get bored and his dad will keep the cheque book locked in a drawer.

If that is the case then he needs to consider selling and moving on. But to who? We just have to hope that Monk can sort the playing side out, because I wrote the off field part off ages ago. It won’t improve unless we get a decent new owner, and that could take years. 

12 minutes ago, shez owl said:

The club is very stale and the fans are too, the ones old enough to remember the good times are fed up and the ones who have never seen it have given up.

This is very true. The Fans have grown tired of this seasons the one, every other season. We make heroes out of p1ss poor players because we are that desperate for success. Every win we manage to accumulate is treated as if we have won the treble. 

In fact the club is very poorly run and lacks the mentality On and off the pitch to consistently turn in winning performances. Boardroom staff seem to stay for a few weeks and then disappear into the evening without any explanation. I have no idea how to change this but doing the same thing and expecting a different outcome is complete madness.

Edited by Prince

23 minutes ago, OwlBiSeeinThi said:

We need one of those trouble shooter types to come in and give an honest appraisal of the whole setup.

We had one Bruce 

I think Monk can do it , we will not know until he can bring his own players in and get rid of the dross 

11 minutes ago, torres said:

Not always.

Look at the pigs for example. I’d argue none are great but their will to win, desire to improve and fight for the club is hard not to see. (The ones they’ve paid decent money for and supposedly better are the weak links)

It pains me to say it but you are spot on. That mental strength, resilience and determination to fight for their manager, club and their fans is in stark contrast to ours. I was following the scores elsewhere today (as I couldn’t bear to watch what was in front of me on the pitch) and it seemed inevitable they would equalise. Compare that to us and the stat of not coming behind to win for over 2 years (until recently). It’s damning

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hugeowl said:

We had one Bruce 

I think Monk can do it , we will not know until he can bring his own players in and get rid of the dross 

I have faith Monk can shake off this malaise - he understands the league and what’s required.

Its not about big names and big wages - we still have the scars to prove it 

27 minutes ago, papalazarowl said:

We smash middlesborough and forest away....

We just got our turn in the quagmire of the championship.... it's just the way it is.. its poo... look at other teams... all going the same way.. beat the top 6.. then lose against the bottom half.... just the championship rules... we just need to break the rules! 

Exactly this... but how ?

Other than the rules we may or may not have already broken 

:duntmatter: 

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

They are normally the better players though right? 

The blunts have 8 league 1 players in their senior squad. They are average players. But have the will to fight for everything whilst they wear their shirt and now they are playing at the highest level.

Mentality and mental strength is nothing to do with ability.

FF, Bannan,Westwood are talented and supposedly world beaters, but in my view lack mental strength to succeed and their mentality sucks

Club has been dying a slow death for 25 years.

Old mob of Richards, Hulley, Culley, Grierson etc... overspent and didn't have a Plan B when the poo hit the fan, other than run away.

Dave Allen a colossal wee pipe head.

Strafford was a good bloke with good ideas but nowhere near enough money and was having to pull a u-turn with an oil tanker the way we were going.

Mandaric is the best we've had but didn't fancy putting up any more money - another £10m and he'd have had us in the PL, but fair enough it was his money.

Then he sold us to Chansiri who quite frankly hasn't got a clue. Followed the path of the mob that got us into this mess in the first place by overspending and not having a Plan B when the poo hit the fan.

In the past 25 years, most of the Football League have moved to new grounds or seen significant redevelopment of their existing stadium.

Hillsborough hasn't altered since 1996. The West Stand resembles a prison, the Kop concourses are something from a bygone era, the South Stand is stuck in the 1910s and the North Stand has needed its concourses widening since being built in 1961. All the while, the whole place has been steadily falling apart. We've had a new pitch and scoreboard fitted, fans went crazy as though it was a new stand being put up. Chansiri has spent £180m apparently, but diddly-squat on spectator facilities.

The area around the ground has fallen to pieces too. Pubs shut, fans sat on walls outside an abandoned car showroom forecourt or swigging from cans on street corners. No fanzones or anything like that. Riverside doing a roaring trade but you have to pay a fiver to go in the club's own bar.

All the while, fans are being asked to pay the highest ticket prices in the league (and higher than most in the PL) to watch mid-table second-tier football mercenaries who don't really care about the club. The average age of the Wednesday fan is going higher and higher - people under 30 see Wednesday as just another club, and won't pay £30+ just because it's their local team. We do nothing to entice people to come to the games.

Yes we'll win the odd game here and there, but the whole place stinks. It's boring, drab, miserable and downright depressing to go to Hillsborough.

What makes Wednesday, Wednesday any more?

Edited by KivoOwl
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, OwlBiSeeinThi said:

The blunts have 8 league 1 players in their senior squad. They are average players. But have the will to fight for everything whilst they wear their shirt and now they are playing at the highest level.

Mentality and mental strength is nothing to do with ability.

FF, Bannan,Westwood are talented and supposedly world beaters, but in my view lack mental strength to succeed and their mentality sucks

FF for one reason or another has let us down on the whole. Not sure it can be levelled at Westwood and definitely not Bannan in my opinion 

2 minutes ago, KivoOwl said:

Club has been dying a slow death for 25 years.

Old mob of Richards, Hulley, Culley, Grierson etc... overspent and didn't have a Plan B when the poo hit the fan, other than run away.

Dave Allen a colossal wee pipe head.

Strafford was a good bloke with good ideas but nowhere near enough money and was having to pull a u-turn with an oil tanker the way we were going.

Mandaric is the best we've had but didn't fancy putting up any more money - another £10m and he'd have had us in the PL, but fair enough it was his money.

Then he sold us to Chansiri who quite frankly hasn't got a clue. Followed the path of the mob that got us into this mess in the first place by overspending and not having a Plan B when the poo hit the fan.

In the past 25 years, most of the Football League have moved to new grounds or seen significant redevelopment of their existing stadium.

Hillsborough hasn't altered since 1996. The West Stand resembles a prison, the Kop concourses are something from a bygone era, the South Stand is stuck in the 1910s and the North Stand has needed its concourses widening since being built in 1961. All the while, the whole place has been steadily falling apart. We've had a new pitch and scoreboard fitted, fans went crazy as though it was a new stand being put up.

The area around the ground has fallen to pieces too. Pubs shut, fans sat on walls outside an abandoned car showroom forecourt or swigging from cans on street corners. No fanzones or anything like that. Riverside doing a roaring trade but you have to pay a fiver to go in the club's own bar.

All the while, fans are being asked to pay the highest ticket prices in the league (and higher than most in the PL) to watch mid-table second-tier football mercenaries who don't really care about the club. The average age of the Wednesday fan is going higher and higher - people under 30 see Wednesday as just another club, and won't pay £30+ just because it's their local team. We do nothing to entice people to come to the games.

Yes we'll win the odd game here and there, but the whole place stinks. It's boring, drab, miserable and downright depressing to go to Hillsborough.

What makes Wednesday, Wednesday any more?

I agree with a lot of this. It’s all very stale and there is no one at the top with the creativity or energy to change things. Instead DC is suing the council, the very body we should be working with to try and improve things around the ground for the supporters. 

The only hope is that we stumble upon a miracle worker manager like the pigs have with Wilder or that DC sells up to someone who sees the potential. But I can’t say I look forward to the next few years as anything other than a continued slog.