How difficult is it .....

To change the culture of a football club? Because until this does I can’t see any dramatic difference in our fortunes for the foreseeable future 

We are one of the few special clubs that can beat a premier league team away, then go away to the top of the league and win 2-0, then play a team out of form at home and not only lose but lose embarrassingly 

It happens far too often, we are consistently inconsistent. This current bunch seem to embody that more than most. 

I feel Monk is as baffled and frustrated as us by it and given the opportunity could be the one to break this vicious circle (first time I’ve thought this about a manager for a long time) 

Not only does he need the chance to get rid of as many players as possible he also needs an overhaul of his backroom staff 

It’s been a comfortable place to be employed for far too long - performing twice a month shouldn’t be accepted 

Mid table mentality on top level wages, while we pay premier league prices 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

We are in desperate need of promotion (like a few other teams).

Not just for the money, but almost for a change of scenery. 

Our players are honest but most of them have one or two good attributes and aren’t well rounded enough. 

Expectation is another thing - and players that don’t fulfil that. 

As for Wednesday fans, we don’t seem to have changed much in 20 years... just getting more tired as it goes on. 

29 minutes ago, torres said:

To change the culture of a football club? Because until this does I can’t see any dramatic difference in our fortunes for the foreseeable future 

We are one of the few special clubs that can beat a premier league team away, then go away to the top of the league and win 2-0, then play a team out of form at home and not only lose but lose embarrassingly 

It happens far too often, we are consistently inconsistent. This current bunch seem to embody that more than most. 

I feel Monk is as baffled and frustrated as us by it and given the opportunity could be the one to break this vicious circle (first time I’ve thought this about a manager for a long time) 

Not only does he need the chance to get rid of as many players as possible he also needs an overhaul of his backroom staff 

It’s been a comfortable place to be employed for far too long - performing twice a month shouldn’t be accepted 

This absolutely.

3 minutes ago, Kopparberg said:

Our players are honest but most of them have one or two good attributes and aren’t well rounded enough. 

As for Wednesday fans, we don’t seem to have changed much in 20 years... just getting more tired as it goes on. 

Just playing to somewhere near their capabilities for most of the season would make me happy 

Even in our recent most productive seasons we failed to reach our potential and let ourselves down time and again 

Are we as a fan base too quick to praise? Do we go overboard on average players?

or is this just good support and the players don’t have the mentality to push on? 

It was set up today to really give it a go and not one player turned up - and weirdly we all knew it didn’t we??

11 minutes ago, Kopparberg said:

And I seem to be drinking morelol

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, torres said:

Are we as a fan base too quick to praise? Do we go overboard on average players?

or is this just good support and the players don’t have the mentality to push on? 

It was set up today to really give it a go and not one player turned up - and weirdly we all knew it didn’t we??

Possibly. Some players are hero worshipped as if they’ve got a promotion with us under their belt - when in reality they are good lads, but this club is making them rich while we sit in the stand wondering why it doesn’t all go smoothly. 

Ultimately, the fans can’t win games for them. 

Behind the scenes the club is at bit weird (for want of a better word) but even if it was perfect we just don’t have the personnel. 

17 minutes ago, Kopparberg said:

No, I don't want to go up and be the whipping boys of the PL.

This whole club needs a nut and bolt restoration.

It's stale, stagnant, and feels like the club has lost its soul. 

We have to accept that these players are not going to do it and are too comfortable, past it or do not have the right mentality.

All us supporters in our heart of hearts know this.  The club in its current state feels somewhat toxic and feels like it is slowly dying unless something changes. Go to Hillsborough and listen. The silence is deafening. No more bouncing, or trying to out sing the away end regardless of the score. There's nothing to motivate the fans and the fans aren't motivating the players. No one seems to be having fun anymore.

I was there in the 80s, I was there in the 90s. I was there when we went down with Big Ron and bounced back.

The place was buzzing. We were upset but we got behind the team and went back up.

I don't know what has happened but I've not experienced that feeling or atmosphere for a very long time.

Only twice in recent years has anything come close. The final home game with promotion from league 1 and the playoff final.

Monk needs to be able to get rid of whoever he needs to, players and staff, whether or not they are crowd favourites. We need to support him in this.

We need a factory reset. Build a new ethic and methodology of this great football club. It will take years but something has to give.

The blades have managed it and there is no reason why we can't do the same.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, torres said:

Culture comes from the top. DC runs us like an amateur operation. Answer me, what parts of the club seem to run well? It’s a culture of underachievement summed up by ‘the Wednesday way’. I don’t see how it changes until we get proper football people in the club who know what they are doing. 

1 minute ago, owls maniac said:

Culture comes from the top. DC runs us like an amateur operation. Answer me, what parts of the club seem to run well? It’s a culture of underachievement summed up by ‘the Wednesday way’. I don’t see how it changes until we get proper football people in the club who know what they are doing. 

Let's be honest. This precedes DC. This probably started with Trevor Francis towards the end of his tenure. We've been on the slide for decades.

3 minutes ago, OwlBiSeeinThi said:

Let's be honest. This precedes DC. This probably started with Trevor Francis towards the end of his tenure. We've been on the slide for decades.

Because we’ve been run shambolically off the pitch for the last 20 years. So many clubs have gone past us in that time. I so wish I had the money to go in with a team and sort it out. A lot of it is pretty basic stuff. We can’t even sell pints ffs. It’s a culture of mediocrity and it’s in every crevice of the club. 

3 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

I just think we need better players. 

We aren’t doing bad this season considering. We need some better quality players in a number of positions. Monk has done a good job, but 4 losses in 5 league games is a worrying stat.

Need players with a stronger mentality.