Jump to content
A12owl

Garry monk's assessment of today's game.

Recommended Posts

 

Club News

Two steps forward, one step back

Just now

 
 
Large
 
 

After seeing his side humbled at home by Blackburn, Garry Monk described the result as two steps forward and one step back.

The Owls went into the game on the back of two impressive wins away from home with clean sheets to boot.

 

But Wednesday were unrecognisable against Rovers and duly punished.

Monk said: “It’s two steps forward and one step back with that performance and result.

“As far as I’m concerned it was the first ten minutes that cost us.



“We didn’t take our opportunities to move forward, we turned around or moved sideways and you can’t do that in the Championship.

“We’ve been punished in the worst possible way.

“It’s hurts, it hurts a lot, but one thing for sure is that we will stick together as a group.”

Monk was unmoved by suggestions that the red card issued to Massimo Luongo decided the destiny of the points.

Luongo was dismissed in the first half for a challenge on Lewis Travis.

 

He added: “It was 100% not a red card and we will 100% appeal it. He’s not aggressive, he’s not late and there’s no malice.

“It changed the complex of the game but I am not using that as an excuse because we let ourselves down today.

“It’s a bad day but we have to remember we are in a healthy position in the table so we have to take this into the training next week.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Imo he should have lambasted the players for that performance.  It sounded from what he indicated we were a tad unlucky .

Let the players realise that performance was totally unacceptable otherwise they won't change.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What gets said to the media and what gets said behind closed doors might be two different things don't you think.... 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3rd to 10th in under 4 weeks. Not that healthy if you ask me

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, A12owl said:

 

Club News

Two steps forward, one step back

Just now

 
 
Large
 
 

After seeing his side humbled at home by Blackburn, Garry Monk described the result as two steps forward and one step back.

The Owls went into the game on the back of two impressive wins away from home with clean sheets to boot.

 

But Wednesday were unrecognisable against Rovers and duly punished.

Monk said: “It’s two steps forward and one step back with that performance and result.

“As far as I’m concerned it was the first ten minutes that cost us.



“We didn’t take our opportunities to move forward, we turned around or moved sideways and you can’t do that in the Championship.

“We’ve been punished in the worst possible way.

“It’s hurts, it hurts a lot, but one thing for sure is that we will stick together as a group.”

Monk was unmoved by suggestions that the red card issued to Massimo Luongo decided the destiny of the points.

Luongo was dismissed in the first half for a challenge on Lewis Travis.

 

He added: “It was 100% not a red card and we will 100% appeal it. He’s not aggressive, he’s not late and there’s no malice.

“It changed the complex of the game but I am not using that as an excuse because we let ourselves down today.

“It’s a bad day but we have to remember we are in a healthy position in the table so we have to take this into the training next week.”

Say what he wants but ime sick of these gutless performances, the group as he calls it needs a major overhaul.

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Firstly, dunno if it's been said, but other than all the faking and rolling about (would've been embarrassed for them if we weren't already hogging all the embarrassment), fair enough to Blackburn - they played well. First to everything, looked sharp and hungry, and basically were everything we were not. The fact that it was our worst whole-team performance for several years shouldn't completely detract from the fact that they came here and looked up for it, moved the ball well too. Sooner or later someone was going to do that on a day when we were completely off it, and we were going to get hammered.

 

EVEN SO, I've not witnessed anything that shambolic from our lot in such a long time. We regularly have days where one or two don't show up, but that was completely bizarre - it was like every single player who started the game had been slipped a Mickey an hour earlier. Genuinely astonishing to watch. Don't think we managed three consecutive passes all game (except, bafflingly, when we were 0-4 down, when we started knocking it about like we were 4-0 up and trying to run down the clock).

 

Bannan bothered me a lot today - when we went two down and 10 men, he didn't change his free-roam role, didn't pick up a man, carried on doing his daft Cruyff turns on halfway under no pressure, and his passing was all over the place...and yet STILL he points and gripes at everyone. Love the lad but my god he can be irritating sometimes. Needed to dig in and play a completely different part today when it all started to go so badly wrong.

 

Not that it would've made a difference, I fear. We'd have been lucky to come away losing 0-3 even without the red card. Utterly shocking from nearly everyone today - four of the five goals were absolute clown school defending, and I've not seen that from us in a very long time. The first sub was baffling, arguably what we should've started with in hindsight but useless at two goals and a player down. We needed to get more bodies in that midfield if we were to have any hope, that seemed so obvious even from the terraces.

 

Troubling, but I don't expect to ever see anything quite that poor again this season - that's literally the only comfort I can take from it. They all need to dig very very deep for the next five or six games, not ONE game, to standa a chance of putting this right. Pretty furious now, even though at the time it was so bad everyone around me was laughing and joking. It's not actually very funny now I'm back home.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I dont think the swear filter would be able to cope with my assessment of todays game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BlackGold said:

What gets said to the media and what gets said behind closed doors might be two different things don't you think.... 

 

nah time to call them out. Enough.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, A12owl said:

Imo he should have lambasted the players for that performance.  It sounded from what he indicated we were a tad unlucky .

Let the players realise that performance was totally unacceptable otherwise they won't change.

who knows what happens behind closed doors..

 

Not sure what good would come from our manager naming and shaming players

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mr. Tom said:

We'd have been lucky to come away losing 0-3 even without the red card.

 

Wish people would stop spouting this as fact.

 

It was 20 minutes in and we were visibly shaken by the decision.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, debram said:

Say what he wants but ime sick of these gutless performances, the group as he calls it needs a major overhaul.

I'm sure that's actually what he wants to say but can't.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, HIGHERSTATE said:

 

Wish people would stop spouting this as fact.

 

It was 20 minutes in and we were visibly shaken by the decision.

Disagree, we have a habit of starting games as we mean to go on.

Hull was exactly the same. You could see within 10 minutes how the game was going to end. 

It is player mentality and lack of desire that's the problem not luck. You make your own luck with the right mix of the other two.

 

We've watched our team retreat towards our goal how many times at home this season and last season...and the season before...despite the managers instructions.  It seems to be inbuilt in their psyche.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, OwlBiSeeinThi said:

Disagree, we have a habit of starting games as we mean to go on.

Hull was exactly the same. You could see within 10 minutes how the game was going to end. 

It is player mentality and lack of desire that's the problem not luck. You make your own luck with the right mix of the other two.

 

We've watched our team retreat towards our goal how many times at home this season and last season...and the season before...despite the managers instructions.  It seems to be inbuilt in their psyche.

Disagree..Many games this season we've come out a different team the second half and ground the opposition down.

 

Bristol, Luton, Brentford

 

We're a team that thrives on space and when the match opens up we come into our own.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

More like 1 step forward and 4 steps back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HIGHERSTATE said:

who knows what happens behind closed doors..

 

Not sure what good would come from our manager naming and shaming players

Didnt need to name any individual just say quite clearly that performances like that are not acceptable at this football club. Players need to ensure their performances match the requirements of the supporters. Anything less than 100% will not be tolerated. Additional effort is required to compensate for the loss of a team mate whether they thought the decision was correct or not.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, HIGHERSTATE said:

 

Wish people would stop spouting this as fact.

 

It was 20 minutes in and we were visibly shaken by the decision.


Wouldn’t claim it as fact, it’s my opinion based on the fact we already looked far slower to everything that Blackburn. It was like we were hungover or something. Yeah we looked a bit rattled by it, but very often teams go down to 10 men and actually get harder to play against - it needn’t have been curtains. Except we were already in for a pummelling IMO.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, HIGHERSTATE said:

Disagree..Many games this season we've come out a different team the second half and ground the opposition down.

 

Bristol, Luton, Brentford

 

We're a team that thrives on space and when the match opens up we come into our own.

You are talking about three games. I am talking about three seasons. 

The same behavioural pattern regardless of manager.

We don't open up games from the off, pressing the opposition and dominating them which we should be doing as the home team. We make struggling teams look like man city. At the moment we are a shot in the arm for anyone playing us as far as confidence. 

 

Plus sitting back and waiting for the game to open up in the second half only works when you have clinical finishers who will take the very few chances that will emerge. We don't

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mowbray was still shouting at his players when 4 nil up .Monk stood there hands in pockets ,The body language of the players was all wrong , Something is not right at Hillsborough.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...