Unacceptable - Monk

5 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Which two of the strikers available would have made us any more of an attacking threat? Nuhiu can do 20 mins, and Winnall and Rhodes are a complete waste of time, and always have been

If you are playing one up front, and are limited to smaller strikers, seeing as Nuhiu can't start, maybe the best tactic isn't to fire it up every 3 seconds t the small striker who can't win a header? Just a thought.

• Like 2

I don't want to be too critical of Monk. It's still early days in his reign and he's got a big job on his hands. He's got a squad full of players who have never been up to it or past their best. He's only made one signing and this is for the under 23's in the short term.

He needs 2 years at least but he won't get it from the chairman if the fans kick off and bay for a change which they probably will at some stage in the near future? Hillsborough is a f***ing horrendous place to play. Perform well and you might as well be playing in a library. Play badly and you may as well playing in front of the host and an audience on the Jeremy Kyle show.

• Like 2

Just over half a season gone, and we have run out of energy. The players always had the potential, and have achieved play off positions collectively before, but I fear four years on we just don't have the belief, energy and all round desire. I think we'll end up where and what we all pretty much thought at the start of the season - a mid-table team.

I'd start preparing the Summer out and incomings shortly to enable us to provide a different set up next season. This season's gone for me - too many players who can't do it for 90mins game after game.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Which two of the strikers available would have made us any more of an attacking threat? Nuhiu can do 20 mins, and Winnall and Rhodes are a complete waste of time, and always have been

We've had nearly 3 weeks to sort it. Either Chansiri is serious or he isn't. Failings all round.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, marcx666 said:

If you are playing one up front, and are limited to smaller strikers, seeing as Nuhiu can't start, maybe the best tactic isn't to fire it up every 3 seconds t the small striker who can't win a header? Just a thought.

No you are right, but the truth is, we don’t have any available strikers who are good enough at this level Whether we play, one, two, or even all three, they won’t trouble the opposition The biggest issue for me is, not doing anything about it in the summer, no fault of Monk, and not being ready to move in January when the window opened. However, I do criticise Monk for not taking the game to them, or at least imposing ourselves on the game.

The players have not listened to any manager for a long time I think. They've played the same game they are used to, only with some random flashes of what is expected of them. It's quite basic that at home you will attack and push on and don't just play sideways or backwards.

Monk must be very frustrated and he knows that he just cannot bllck them all because it would lead to a disaster. It's like negotiating with teenagers, frustrating most of the time.

The players thought it was already won after the last two games. They need to take full responsibility, if they don't follow instructions or put the effort in no way they will win. Monk needs to bring in his players and have a full clear out of this squad although this will be difficult until the summer  - simply they are not good enough. Lets hope we get a few players in this window

What was the game plan today?

When we were playing 4-2-4 it was easy. Give it to Bannan so he can pick out the flying wingers. But 4-5-1 gives him no-one to aim for. There didn't seem to be any plan for how we were going to get into their half and keep it there for a bit. 

Their plan was to pass to players between the lines and they found it so easy. If we have 3 in midfield we should be able to do the same but not if they shuffle about at half pace and look as if they hadn't actually thought about it. Did we do anything all week?

6 minutes ago, SiJ said:

tbf, this is real life, not Football Manager. 

It is, but our home performances have shown something like this wasn’t far away, we just don’t have the quality up front We knew that in the summer, or at least most of us did. Plenty of players, and good players, have moved on loan already, and it’s not unreasonable to believe we could have landed one of the 2 or 3 we are said to want. I understand that it can be difficult in January, and maybe we can secure cheaper deals if we wait Against that, if by then we’ve slipped into the bottom half of the table, it might be more difficult to attract the players we want Or DC might just decide, given our position, he may be less inclined to gamble Who knows

Guest The Horse

I feel sorry for Monk on one hand but on the other, he's doing himself no favours.

He's come from basket case Leeds to handcuffed Brum and now to handcuffed Wednesday.

I'll reserve full judgement until he's had a good season under his belt with his own players. I really think he's got the desire to succeed.

However.... That line up and tactics today were awful.

This league is still not all that good. As King Pig showed last season and indeed this in the league above, take the game to average players and get in their faces. Gets the fans up and teams can buckle easily.

One up front at home and hoping to play counter is going to win him no favours at all.

There's still players here who are capable of more than what we've seen if we just let them off the shackles and have a flipping go.

Setting up like that today was unacceptable and is the first real question mark I have with Monk.

But, personally, real judgement time is about this time next year when hopefully he has his own team, clear of impending points deductions and a healthy transfer budget to play with.

4 minutes ago, davetherivelinowl said:

What was the game plan today?

When we were playing 4-2-4 it was easy. Give it to Bannan so he can pick out the flying wingers. But 4-5-1 gives him no-one to aim for. There didn't seem to be any plan for how we were going to get into their half and keep it there for a bit. 

Their plan was to pass to players between the lines and they found it so easy. If we have 3 in midfield we should be able to do the same but not if they shuffle about at half pace and look as if they hadn't actually thought about it. Did we do anything all week?

Only Forestieri of our front players, can play between the lines