• Lee
    • Winnall
    • Luongo
    • Reach
    • Nuhiu
    • Hutchinson
    • Lees

2 hours ago, smhouston said:

Say what!?!? He was absolutely atrocious. Got totally bossed by their forwards, passing was awful,caught in possession, at fault for some goals

Think Dawson only one to come out with any credit, maybe Reach

Reach? What did he do? 

The only thing he does is run around a lot and get only reason he has to do that is because he bottles tackles so then has to go chasing the ball. 

If it was for who tried and ran about the most it has to be Reach, Hutch gave it a good go when he came on, but Reach must have run a good few miles more over the match and was one of the few of the starting 11 that never gave up.

Tactically again though, how on earth are we going to threaten when Bannan is playing long balls up in the air for a solitary Winall when the defenders are all a foot taller than him? Our midfield was invisible until Massimo got himself sent off! Lee is a shadow of his former self and Bannan was too far back early doors. Once Massimo went off that was it wasn't it. We were poor before the sending off, but that sealed it for us. I reckon too many players thought Blackburn would be an easier team to play than that and how wrong were they.

Been scratching my head thinking that in 53 years of watching Wednesday have I ever witnessed a worse home performance...? 1-7 against Forest? Or 1-6 against Leeds (the one including the hilarious penalty dive from Watson), perhaps? Maybe the huff and puff against the nine men of Yeovil?

Even taking in those performances from many years ago, I can't remember a single occasion where EVERY player on the field didn't deserve his pay packet for their respective contributions.

I don't think for a minute that players go out to play with a deliberate negative attitude but at times today, it looked like they were all either on strike or they all had a debilitating dose of the flu.

Clearly, there is something systematically wrong when the entire starting eleven and subs come onto the field and put in shifts like that.

5 hours ago, Musn't Grumble said:

Been scratching my head thinking that in 53 years of watching Wednesday have I ever witnessed a worse home performance...? 1-7 against Forest? Or 1-6 against Leeds (the one including the hilarious penalty dive from Watson), perhaps? Maybe the huff and puff against the nine men of Yeovil?

Even taking in those performances from many years ago, I can't remember a single occasion where EVERY player on the field didn't deserve his pay packet for their respective contributions.

I don't think for a minute that players go out to play with a deliberate negative attitude but at times today, it looked like they were all either on strike or they all had a debilitating dose of the flu.

Clearly, there is something systematically wrong when the entire starting eleven and subs come onto the field and put in shifts like that.

Yep agree, forest and Leeds you can argue a better team won. If you get battered and the other team is simply to good then you can understand it. 

That yesterday was baffling and yes on of those why did you get paid for that. 

8 hours ago, Musn't Grumble said:

top comment that I also witnessed those games in past. that forest side were very very good collymore unplayable that game the 1-6 against leeds 14 players were out with flu/injuries that day and a few what played were ill . gary monk who I don't blame needs to be told in his next press conference that just about every Wednesday supporter have said its the worst ever performance in there lifetime and every one of us could see a complete lack of effort and interest which is totally unacceptable. 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Ian said:

Christ you really do have an agenda against Dawson don’t you.

please share with us what exactly he did wrong for the 2nd goal other than making a great save and being incredibly unlucky with the rebound

i can see what you might have a point on the first and whilst ideally he’d have tipped it over a reaction save is exactly that and you don’t always get time to consciously decide where it’s going

and despite your marks suggesting that no one played better than Dawson, you’d drop him for the next game.

he's the chairman of the westwood fan club, he thinks he's about to come back and keep a couple of dozen clean sheets.

12 hours ago, frastheowl said:

Ugh...here goes...

Dawson - 6 - Man of the Match - I'm not sure he could have done much else for any of the goal. The 1st goal he's made a sharp save from close range, but hasn't diverted it away from danger (I'd have to see it again). The 2nd goal, he makes a decent save onto the post, and he's unlucky to score an own goal. But, he made a couple of fine saves...in particular the one from Reach straight after half time. Ridiculous reactions. Could've been 7 or 8 had it not been for him. 

Urhoghide - 3 - Well, he was brought back down to Earth with an almighty bump this afternoon. Absolutely terrorised by the brilliant Armstrong. Poor in possession, and really struggled to do the basics right. 

Iorfa - 4 - Looked all at sea against Blackburn's mobile forward line. But let's put some perspective in here... that back four today, was let down by a frankly pathetic midfield trio. Within the 1st five minutes, their centre half threaded a ball through the entirety of it, into the striker's feet, and before you know, the back four have four Blackburn attackers running at them. 

Borner - 3 - Like Iorfa, I've actually gone easy on him a little, because of the lack of protection they were afforded. But, gave a self-inflicted needless foul away which got him book, looked uncomfortable and uneasy from the first minute, and his defending for Blackburn's 4th, is abject. 

Fox - 4 - Suckered in by Nyambe for the 2nd goal. Defending narrow, rushed out to close the full back down, but turned inside out far too easily. Struggled against the physicality and intelligent movement of Gallagher all game. 

Bannan - 3 - Had zero effect on the game, but failed to perform his basic defensive duties today. Last week at Leeds, he was diligent and stopped any balls through the centre. But from minute one today, he was sluggish and seem to have no desire to perform those dirty, unappreciated tasks. Did he expect it to be a cake walk and have the run of Hillsborough? There's been cases made about not needing an anchor man when playing at home (of which I often agree with)...but today, just shows the damage that can be done, when that role isn't performed well. 

Lee - 3 - Slow, off the pace, careless in possession. The 3rd goal came about from a poor touch in midfield from him. Could have no complaints getting dragged off at HT.

Luongo - 4 - Before mentioning his dismissal, let's not absolve him of the shower he was involved in, early on. Didn't form any links or partnerships, didn't get up to support Winnall, gave the ball away too often. And then the tackle... it's soft, it's not a red card. But, what a pathetic attempt to win the ball. Epitomised the sides aggression. Pulled out of the tackle, but felt he needed look as though he was sticking the foot in. Pfft...to go from a top performance at Leeds last week, to that. And he's one of the newbies.

Murphy - 5 - Probably, the bright spark in the 1st 20 minutes. When I say bright spark, I mean the only flicker of light. Looked to get at Bell, and made a couple of dangerous runs, and looked to put the ball in the box. Reduced to playing off scraps, when moved up front. We need more from him, but he's the least of the issues today.

Reach - 5 - Probably our best outfield player over the course of the 90 minutes. But, it's not saying much. Was tidy in possession, and kept going. 

Winnall - 4 - You feel for him, because he was p!ss!ng in the wind. But, the fact is, he's not good enough. And he can't play that lone forward role, if we aren't controlling the game. There's a perception you have to be big and strong to play that role...you don't. Armstrong played it brilliantly today for Blackburn. But Winnall just doesn't have the strength, pace, guile nor intelligence to play it, and if the midfield can't string two passes together, he's going to really struggle. 

Nuhiu - 5 - Can see why he was introduced, unfortunately, the 2nd goal went in seconds before been introduced, and the game was gone. We needed to have an outlet up front to allow us to get players up to support the forward, and Nuhiu does offer that. In truth, he had little impact on the game. 

Lees - 5 - Came on, didn't settle things down. But, it was damage limitation time.

Hutchinson - 6 - Came on, and at least did the basic requirements. Run around, put tackles in, let the opponents know you're there. He wasn't great, but it was refreshing to see, in amongst the sea of mediocrity and cowardice. 

Overall...

Yet again, our start to the game dictated the course of the 90 minutes. The way our midfield started the game wasn't good enough, and to be honest, it was 100% down to, a perception, they thought they were going to run the show. Not one of those midfield trio's came out with the intention to graft and do the hard yards. Within a minute, I was screaming about Adaraybioyo been able to play a pass that bypass the midfield into Holtby's feet. That happened four times more within the first 10 minutes. Utterly unacceptable. 

We were too deep, too passive, and frankly, too proud to run about and get into Blackburn's faces. The defence had a poor day at the office, and poor old Urhoghide won't have a much tougher examination than the one he got off Armstrong today. But, talk about been exposed. By the time we were 1-0 down, it was the least Blackburn deserved. 

And what upsets you the most, is our reaction to the sending off. How many times do we hear managers bemoan how difficult it can be, to play against 10 men? Did we even attempt to knuckle down, and make it difficult for Blackburn to play through us? No. We collapsed and surrendered at 1-0 down. Unacceptable. 

What I will say though, is how impressed I was with Blackburn's attacking threat. I thought Armstrong was absolutely brilliant, and Gallagher has the skillset that we are desperate for. Mowbray played him as an inside forward today, but he could easily play the central role as well. Their movement, with Rothwell, Holtby and Downing providing the creativity make them a very dangerous side. That said...you'd probably fancy most attacking front lines to have had a field day up against our shower today.

What's the answer? To which question? I don't know where Monk goes from here with this squad of players. He's shuffled and muddled, and managed to get some tune out of them. But of late, we seem to be really struggling, especially at home. I thought the midfield trio of Bannan-Lee-Luongo had some real promise after last week...now I'm questioning that. We thought Urhoghide might have been a real find, and solve a potential squad issue, question marks raised over him (I'm not writing him off, but he's got some learning to do). And it's another game, where our striker has looked utterly toothless. I'm not sure we can solve these issues, during this transfer window. 

very rarely do wednesday sides have the 'backbone' for a battle, but I've only been going since the late 60's.

13 hours ago, A E Neuman NYowl said:

Great summing up, we were second best throughout but that midfield ( I include Reach and Murphy in this ) were so poor. Physically they just didn't want to know.

Borner had an absolute stinker at the back.

Monk also has to share the blame, tactically outthought, Winnall is not a target man but we played like we do when Fletcher is leading the attack.

MoM        Hutch

A goalkeeper who conceded 5 goals gets man of the match and a 6 out of 10. Wow just wow. 

The 2nd goal whilst unlucky came as a result of a poor hand to the shot. 

He could have and should have done a lot better with 2 or 3 of the goals today, he shares as much blame as the rest of them. 

Westwood wouldnt have conceded 5 today. He would have got a grip of that back 4. 

Dawson is out of contract in the summer... if he was any good at all there would be teams sniffing around him. 

There arent and he isnt. 

Dawson is like the vast majority of this squad and Mr Monk himself..... mediocre 

I've ignored the second half subs, as they weren't culpable for the shiitstorm they were thrust into. Likewise the kiddywink at RB...he didn't know what had hit him. So, being as you don't have a "none of the above" option I've given Reach a vote purely by the fact that he kept going. Totally ineffectively I might add...but he did keep trying.

13 hours ago, northeastowl said:

Reach? What did he do? 

The only thing he does is run around a lot and get only reason he has to do that is because he bottles tackles so then has to go chasing the ball. 

He also points a lot as well. Normally at the player running past him with ball who he should have tackled. 

12 minutes ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

Ok, that’s right. 

He’s a referee.

Its a known fact you need narcissistic personality disorder to be one of them.

Although did make me laugh that he accused you of having a vendetta...in all my time on here there’s only one poster I can recall having a vendetta against a player of ours.

And against our striker of the decade at that!

Edited by McRightSide
  • Haha 1

Guest Kagoshimaowl
29 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

He’s a referee.

Its a known fact you need narcissistic personality disorder to be one of them.

Although did make me laugh that he accused you of having a vendetta...in all my time on here there’s only one poster I can recall having a vendetta against a player of ours.

And against our striker of the decade at that!

Yeah exactly what I thought! I’ve  said a thousand times that I think Westwood is a better keeper but that Dawson deserves the shirt right now. Not a vendetta at all, I’m actually supporting the lad!

Edited by Kagoshimaowl