Monk - Slow Learner

1 hour ago, Lord Snooty said:

"The first ten minutes set the tone. We talk a lot we train a lot about getting a foot hold in the game and getting in their half.

Pushing on. First ten minutes especially we have to get in their half. Get them facing their goal.

We kept turning back into our half. Playing ourselves into trouble.  You get punished for it. Playing team mates into trouble going backwards. 

We've caused our own problems. It'd been self-inflicted. Our decision making. We haven't set the tone. We played ourselves into needless pressure and mistakes. Going backwards.

The red card? He's for it completely wrong. But it's the first ten minutes that's done us. Needless going backwards.  

At home that is unacceptable."

Garry Monk

------

I don't think it's Monk that's the slow learner

Monk is 100% spot on.

We started so slow and I don’t believe the manager tells them to do that.

If you play 3 in centre midfield you have to compete and go forward in there , we didn’t, just let them play 

2 hours ago, McRightSide said:

Will post this now before the inevitable lock down post defeat

I’m going to chalk today up to a bad day at the office and not get too emotional about it

But I do have to again raise the question of Monk’s ability to learn and adapt.

He takes ages to realize anything. The latest one - and a part contributing factor today - is that he needs to be much more positive at home. 

If he does insist on playing one upfront then in the absence of other options it has to be Nuhiu.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

I understand your point, but four years on from Wembley and this is what it's come to. DC really needs to look in the mirror at what his achieved during this time and take some responsibly.

No way am I laying this at Monks door, he’s done a great job so far. These players  are as brittle as they come, we’ve seen it time and time again.  Also the red card doesn’t help matters either

Many of this squad have the ability but they go into hiding when the going gets tough. Monk can’t change their mentality in a couple of months 

Edited by Stoop

1 hour ago, Lee A said:

Why does Bannan sit so deep, spraying hopeful hollywood balls from 20 yards inside our half?  Get him up the pitch and get him on the ball in an area where he can actually influence the game, otherwise don't play him. 

1000% this. Bannan need not stand on the centre halves’ toes. He is talented enough to play in their third and influence games there.

Either he has repeatedly been told to play as such or he has taken it upon himself. If the latter is true then manager needs to tell him to amend his ways.

9 minutes ago, Stoop said:

No way am I laying this at Monks door, he’s done a great job so far. These players  are as brittle as they come, we’ve seen it time and time again.  Also the red card doesn’t help matters either

Many of this squad have the ability but they go into hiding when the going gets tough. Monk can’t change their mentality in a couple of months 

This.

I know I'm like a broken record, but 50% of our squad are simply wage stealers who don't have the mental strength to get us out of this division.

I don't blame them, but I also don't feel sorry for them. They are paid handsomely.

Break this squad up now. We aren't going anywhere otherwise.

3 minutes ago, Mr Farrell said:

This.

I know I'm like a broken record, but 50% of our squad are simply wage stealers who don't have the mental strength to get us out of this division.

I don't blame them, but I also don't feel sorry for them. They are paid handsomely.

Break this squad up now. We aren't going anywhere otherwise.

Agree, its us i feel sorry for having to endure these toothless performances, massive changes needed, its embarrasing to say the least.

5 minutes ago, debram said:

Agree, its us i feel sorry for having to endure these toothless performances, massive changes needed, its embarrasing to say the least.

Me and stuck record again, but it wouldn't be so bad if we weren't one of the most expensive British teams to watch.

Come on Del Boy DC stop blowing smoke up our bums and sort it out.

2 hours ago, Westfield Owl said:

This is true.  But Monk has to take his fair share of the blame for today though.

We shouldn’t be losing 5-0 at home to anyone in this division.  And as the manager, he carries the can.

Really? Why? If players are not following his game plan how is that his fault?

From a number of recent post match interviews that's the impression I am getting.

Certain players revert to type when the going gets tough. Bannan, hutch, FF, Westwood and do what they want.

I'm nowhere near the point where I'm blaming Monk. He needs to bring his own players in and until then make do with what we have.

18 minutes ago, OwlBiSeeinThi said:

Really? Why? If players are not following his game plan how is that his fault?

From a number of recent post match interviews that's the impression I am getting.

Certain players revert to type when the going gets tough. Bannan, hutch, FF, Westwood and do what they want.

I'm nowhere near the point where I'm blaming Monk. He needs to bring his own players in and until then make do with what we have.

If the players aren’t playing for him then that’s really concerning, regardless of who is at fault.

2 minutes ago, Westfield Owl said:

If the players aren’t playing for him then that’s really concerning, regardless of who is at fault.

If they are not, and I'm not saying their not. How many good managers will we let them push out the door.

To me if the players won't fall into line, they go.

I'm not sure it's as bad as that, but when players decide to go with their own game plan on the pitch they have to accept responsibility if it goes wrong..... Which it is currently.

Can you imagine Fergie or Clough putting up with it. 

We cannot condone or accept player power.

14 minutes ago, OwlBiSeeinThi said:

If they are not, and I'm not saying their not. How many good managers will we let them push out the door.

To me if the players won't fall into line, they go.

I'm not sure it's as bad as that, but when players decide to go with their own game plan on the pitch they have to accept responsibility if it goes wrong..... Which it is currently.

Can you imagine Fergie or Clough putting up with it. 

We cannot condone or accept player power.

It’s the manager’s job to make sure that players are falling into line though.  Otherwise, what are we actually paying Monk to do?

With regards to our players, we have around half of our playing squad (and half of our starting XI today) out of contract in the summer.  Which isn’t ideal for forward-planning but you’d assume the out-of-contract players would have plenty of motivation to put a shift in.

Anyway, Monk has been given plaudits when results have gone in our favour, so of course he should take his share of criticism after today’s debacle.  We didn’t just lose by the odd goal, we got battered 5-0 at home.

1 hour ago, Ever the pessimist said:

1000% this. Bannan need not stand on the centre halves’ toes. He is talented enough to play in their third and influence games there.

Either he has repeatedly been told to play as such or he has taken it upon himself. If the latter is true then manager needs to tell him to amend his ways.

the players tend to play where and how the management tells them. If Bannon etc ignores them then they need dropping.

7 minutes ago, Westfield Owl said:

It’s the manager’s job to make sure that players are falling into line though.  Otherwise, what are we actually paying Monk to do?

With regards to our players, we have around half of our playing squad (and half of our starting XI today) out of contract in the summer.  Which isn’t ideal for forward-planning but you’d assume the out-of-contract players would have plenty of motivation to put a shift in.

Anyway, Monk has been given plaudits when results have gone in our favour, so of course he should take his share of criticism after today’s debacle.  We didn’t just lose by the odd goal, we got battered 5-0 at home.

Exactly. It is the managers job to keep them in line. 

What you are saying you will support him when he fines, benches,drops or sells those not falling into line.

Bruce came in last January and started preparing the players for this season. He had a style of play in mind and started very early in scouting the players and training the squad to play how her wanted. He had more than just a pre season to prepare the squad and the players. When he walked all of the work he had done walked with him. A new manager can only work with what’s left behind. Do not underestimate the damage that Bruce did when he left.

Monk wants to play a different style of football but is lumbered with a core team of players who have let the club down. They have let a series of managers down and more than anything have let the fans down. 

Monk is saying it in his interviews, they won’t listen.... simple as that. He is saying it time and time again, the players aren’t doing what is being asked of them. 

They won’t change. They haven’t changed  since Wembley, they haven’t changed since Huddersfield when they really should have been broken up after the Huddersfield game. 

Monk isn’t without fault but he can only work with what he’s got and sorry he has inherited a team of players who at its core, won’t change, won’t learn and no one is queuing up to sign despite how highly some Wednesday fans rate them

I will reserve judgement on Monk until he is afforded at least the next pre season.

4 hours ago, steelerian said:

Although I'm not exactly impressed by him, I think Monk deserves a little time, and this transfer window, before we judge him too harshly. Dont forget he came in in September and hasnt had chance to sign a single player yet. 

And I honestly think it will take more than 1 or 2 transfer windows to sort the current mess out. 

This all day long.

2 hours ago, Stoop said:

This is exactly right.