Monk - Slow Learner

Will post this now before the inevitable lock down post defeat

I’m going to chalk today up to a bad day at the office and not get too emotional about it

But I do have to again raise the question of Monk’s ability to learn and adapt.

He takes ages to realize anything. The latest one - and a part contributing factor today - is that he needs to be much more positive at home. 

If he does insist on playing one upfront then in the absence of other options it has to be Nuhiu.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Edited by McRightSide

Monk will become the Tommy Docherty of modern times. Never stops long at a club. I think Tommy Docherty managed over a dozen clubs in his time.

Monk is clueless. No plan B........and his plan A is suspect.

Chansiri will keep him on as he hates sacking ANYONE.

The players don't give a damn so long as the money keeps pouring into their bank accounts.

Depressing Days.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I mean today is a difficult one to take. Referee ruined it for us with an absolutely pathetic sending off. He deserves the sack for that decision alone. 

As for the rest of the game, the lack of any sort of fight was very frustrating. 

I was going to stay but when I saw us bring Lees and Hutchinson on I thought, what is the point and left. 

Very bad day. Typical Wednesday. Give you hope with a good result, snatch it straight back next game. 

I assume one of the reasons he ‘insists’ on one up front is because our strikers, bar Fletcher, are really a bit rubbish. Nuhiu does a job off the bench but the rest are garbage. I’d be very surprised if he’s not quite keen on having some better options available to him.

• Like 1

Although I'm not exactly impressed by him, I think Monk deserves a little time, and this transfer window, before we judge him too harshly. Dont forget he came in in September and hasnt had chance to sign a single player yet. 

And I honestly think it will take more than 1 or 2 transfer windows to sort the current mess out. 

23 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

We haven't won 3 in in a row for 19 months. 

It's more than Monk.

This is true.  But Monk has to take his fair share of the blame for today though.

We shouldn’t be losing 5-0 at home to anyone in this division.  And as the manager, he carries the can.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Sonny said:

I doubt it’s Monk who’s the slow learner if we haven’t grasped the above yet.

6 minutes ago, Westfield Owl said:

This is true.  But Monk has to take his fair share of the blame for today though.

We shouldn’t be losing 5-0 at home to anyone in this division.  And as the manager, he carries the can.

"The first ten minutes set the tone. We talk a lot we train a lot about getting a foot hold in the game and getting in their half.

Pushing on. First ten minutes especially we have to get in their half. Get them facing their goal.

We kept turning back into our half. Playing ourselves into trouble.  You get punished for it. Playing team mates into trouble going backwards. 

We've caused our own problems. It'd been self-inflicted. Our decision making. We haven't set the tone. We played ourselves into needless pressure and mistakes. Going backwards.

The red card? He's for it completely wrong. But it's the first ten minutes that's done us. Needless going backwards.  

At home that is unacceptable."

Garry Monk

------

I don't think it's Monk that's the slow learner

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

Will post this now before the inevitable lock down post defeat

I’m going to chalk today up to a bad day at the office and not get too emotional about it

But I do have to again raise the question of Monk’s ability to learn and adapt.

He takes ages to realize anything. The latest one - and a part contributing factor today - is that he needs to be much more positive at home. 

If he does insist on playing one upfront then in the absence of other options it has to be Nuhiu.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

A bad day at the office just like the last 2 home games ?

If Nuihu is the answer we really are up to our neck in it 

Game plan went out of the window on the sending off already trailing it was going to be tough 

when Dawson made the save it hit the wood work hit him and went in it was going to be one of those days 

still many of teams have been a lot more stronger and resilient with 10 men and at home the score line and manner of defeat is unacceptable 

monk as asked for three attacking players to bolster his attacking threat with a full time recruitment team, scouts and negotiators Im dissapointed we haven’t identified and negotiated these players we have a month to sign them but a whole year to work on the deals so I’ve no idea what they do for rest of the year

i understand that we have to wait on many deals because other clubs are waiting for players coming in or keeping their options open but deals are getting done and we have already let two go so I don’t 100% buy into we couldn’t have strengthened by now

Monk needs his attacking options I said in a pre match thread that we look weak uptop and apart from Harris our bench doesn’t look like it could be positive if we are to trail a game and need to change it 

the need for at least 1 striker and FF is a minimum

I’m not going to be in the doom and gloom brigade today but this and three defeats over Christmas the loss of fletcher  means that the club should have stepped up all efforts to move quickly and swiftly to stabilise our squad and results and thus far they have failed 

if rumours are true with the wickham deal if we’ve really dragged our heels in our situation and allowed other clubs to come sniffing then we deserve to lose out 

I agree re. a lone striker, Winnall can't be that player.

However, we could play any combination of forwards but if the midfield is 40 yards away from them it won't matter. 

Why does Bannan sit so deep, spraying hopeful hollywood balls from 20 yards inside our half?  Get him up the pitch and get him on the ball in an area where he can actually influence the game, otherwise don't play him. 

He's inherited an ageing (and well past it's best) squad. He hasn't yet signed a single player.  We are in play-off contention (after 2 years of not being).  Our only half decent striker (and goal threat) is out injured.  

Which bits of all that is he failing so badly on?

He can't be blamed for terrible refereeing decisions and abject player performances.  Last week he was the messiah!

Just not bothered...