EFL- Sheff Wednesday - Derby

Interesting that they've chosen the same tactic as we have, challenging the legality of the charges.

Took their time issuing a statement, wonder if there has been any consultation with our lawyers, or if they are the same. 

Have to say this eases my concern about our case, the action we brought was unprecedented, but now joined by Derby puts further focus and pressure on the EFL. Wouldn't surprise me if Birmingham and Reading join in when/if charged. 

The accounting practices used by both of us were suspect morally, but perfectly legal, agreed and ratified by the EFL. the EFL, now going back to try and retrospectively close a loophole and find technicalities to justify charges should fail the point of law underpinning both our cases. 

Both DC and Mel Morris are belligerent owners and will fight the EFL to the death. Hopefully both of us will be victorious.

2 minutes ago, sherlyegg said:

Wonder who's in the dock first us or Derby.

Winner may take all

Imagine we’ll be first. On 27 Dec the club said they were appointing arbitrators, so the procedure has already started, whereas the charges against Derby are recent

If the EFL put sanctions on clubs and we take them to the high courts for unlawful action and win then the EFL could be paying out 100s of millions in compo for potential loss if earnings 

these cases will be complex but it seems the EFLs days of playing god judge and jury and the incompetence of their rulings and governence could be about to bite them in their self royal back side 

then can throw this rubbish about with little clubs but there rules prevent wealthy chairman from progressing and I don’t for one minute think there competencies against chansiri and Derby’s legal teams will hold up 

there walking a fine line and I think they will get rinsed in court 

these unqualified jokers have been governing the football league and got way above their station 

it’s about time their incompetence because accountable instead of them trying to play judge and jury 

16 minutes ago, HarrowbyOwl said:

In our case they said the misconduct charges were brought after information in documents ‘some seen for the first time’ came to light. Whether they hadn’t been seen because of their own negligence/incompetence or we hadn’t submitted them remains to be seen.

Who knows - I suspect the evidence may get in the public domain if this did get to a legal stage. 

7 minutes ago, OWLERTON GHOST said:

I personally think the Premier League will increase by at least two clubs in the not too distant ...

They will cease to support the league cup unless they are permitted to field academy teams and come in at the  5th round Fa Cup stage ...that's the power that they have 

ive spotted a fault …..the 5th round as 16 clubs in it …..add on the 20  premier clubs and that's 36 , the 6th round would have 18 , the 7th round  would have 9 then you come to the tricky bit of getting 4 semi finalists  from  9 teams …...lol

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, HarrowbyOwl said:

Imagine we’ll be first. On 27 Dec the club said they were appointing arbitrators, so the procedure has already started, whereas the charges against Derby are recent

Funny old set up isn’t it when the members of the EFL committee could be involved in disciplinary action against the clubs they are actually attached to , puts pressure on the arbitrators to get things bang right 

Derby joining in the party makes it very interesting 

6 minutes ago, mkowl said:

Who knows - I suspect the evidence may get in the public domain if this did get to a legal stage. 

Think disclosures in private arbitration proceedings are confidential so unless it goes to legal appeal it’s unlikely

Personally I agree with the idea of FFP but it's practical application has been a disaster. (Parachute payments apart)

It did seem to have some merit when there were possible sanctions but the main focus was in helping the clubs abide by the financial plans with points deductions if they breached the agreed plan. That was what happened with Birmingham, they breached the regulations, agreed a plan to get on side and then proceeded to buy a player and breached the agreed budget. They got what they deserved. They wouldn't have been penalised if they stuck to the budget. Even then the independent panel castigated the EFL because the rules weren't clear and the points deduction was reduced.

The problem then became ground sales, apparently the EFL never intended to allow that to happen but the rules as written allowed it. Clubs took the opportunity to raise money and the whole thing became a shambles. No good Parry coming in and trying to retrospectively change the rules and penalise us and Derby. That is not allowed in English law. If we had agreement to our actions in writing and EFL are trying to find a loophole to bring us to heel they are on very shakey ground.

I did have my doubts if the clubs case was as sound as we were led to believe but now Derby have raised the same questions about the EFL's actions it looks like we might be on solid ground. I hope we are.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, OWLERTON GHOST said:

I personally think the Premier League will increase by at least two clubs in the not too distant

According to Kieran Maguire they're actually looking to reduce the number of teams, or rather the elite clubs are

2 hours ago, WalthamOwl said:

So the EFL seem to be admitting they made a mistake signing off on the stadium sale and accounts and are looking to punish us and Derby because of their own mistakes. 

Not only that but in both cases they gave approval BEFORE the transactions were completed.  

You really couldn't make it up, in Derby's case they even asked for the sales price changing to what actually went through.

2 hours ago, 2roland2 said:

so with that in mind are they actually saying that derby and reading actually used influence to get around rules? You would have to think so considering the way it’s gone? 

it all seems to be since parry came in so maybe he’s come in and said wtf is going on here?  Can’t think of any other reason but who knows

Perhaps he didn't get the memo that it all wasn't to be taken too seriously.... Or you know Rick, everyone is gunna end up getting a points deduction...

9 minutes ago, Ash76 said:

According to Kieran Maguire they're actually looking to reduce the number of teams, or rather the elite clubs are

Yeah I've always thought the prem clubs have no interest in a team like Wednesday or Leeds doing well, despite most fans wanting big clubs in the prem

Edited by jomaco

1 hour ago, OWLERTON GHOST said:

I personally think the Premier League will increase by at least two clubs in the not too distant ...

They will cease to support the league cup unless they are permitted to field academy teams and come in at the  5th round Fa Cup stage ...that's the power that they have 

The inception of the "premier league" had 22 teams,that was reduced to 20 in 1995,it aint going back,if the bigger than the rest boys have their way it'll be down to 18 teams.