Jump to content
Morepork

Fox - Deal or No Deal?

Recommended Posts

A couple of “media outlets” reporting that we’ve moved to offer Fox a new deal. Quite possibly agent generated although based on his performances this season I suspect there’s genuine interest from us and outside parties.

 

Personally, I always felt Fox got more grief than he deserved, albeit his performances were rarely better than indifferent. This season it’s a different story entirely, not only is he playing better but also his body language is different, theres more passion, more energy, more intent.

 

What an incredible transition from favourite of the boo boys to the player we’re seeing this season. He’s rapidly building a genuine rapport with fans and he’s shown enormous strength of character to come through that. On that basis, shouldn’t he be rewarded accordingly?

 

So, the million dollar question, are we right to renew or do we cut our losses. Would seem crazy to let him leave for free but......There’s always a chance we’re seeing a player finding that bit extra to get a new deal or an offer from another club.

 

Deal or no deal?

  • Like 1
  • Agree 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Offer him the Brexit deal and see what he says. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

Offer him the Brexit deal and see what he says. 


In fairness, DC could offer that.....along with a complementary 10 year box sweetener.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Jon Newsome said:

2 year extension makes sense, if we get a decent offer for him we should sell though and strike while the iron is hot. Too often we've held onto players the last few years until they are worth nothing, Forestieri the biggest example.


This really is how we should be operating. Players in form will always draw attention, see it as a positive, sell at the top and always have replacements lined up. And repeat....Keeps the squad rotating and it’s still possible to chase promotion.

Edited by Morepork
  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There was a game last year, probably november/december when my 5 year old son turned to me and said "I don't even know what he's doing!" When I asked who he pointed out poor Fox, who, as my son noted, was scrambling around like a chicken with his head cut off. Turns out that was on Jos and his lack of instruction, because Fox has been remarkably solid to excellent for the last few months of last season and all of this season. 

 

I'm voting on 25 year old coming into his own. Sign him up.

  • Agree 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Morepork said:

A couple of “media outlets” reporting that we’ve moved to offer Fox a new deal. Quite possibly agent generated although based on his performances this season I suspect there’s genuine interest from us and outside parties.

 

Personally, I always felt Fox got more grief than he deserved, albeit his performances were rarely better than indifferent. This season it’s a different story entirely, not only is he playing better but also his body language is different, theres more passion, more energy, more intent.

 

What an incredible transition from favourite of the boo boys to the player we’re seeing this season. He’s rapidly building a genuine rapport with fans and he’s shown enormous strength of character to come through that. On that basis, shouldn’t he be rewarded accordingly?

 

So, the million dollar question, are we right to renew or do we cut our losses. Would seem crazy to let him leave for free but......There’s always a chance we’re seeing a player finding that bit extra to get a new deal or an offer from another club.

 

Deal or no deal?

He’s improved massively. Deserves a new deal but there needs to be better competition for his position next season.

  • Agree 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

He’s improved massively. Deserves a new deal but there needs to be better competition for his position next season.

Matt Penney?

  • Agree 3
  • Disagree 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

He’s improved massively. Deserves a new deal but there needs to be better competition for his position next season.

 

In Urhoghide's highlights video on YouTube, he's playing on the left. Might be a decent shout. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fox is a good squad player and not a past-it crock, so I'd offer a new contract. There's no point in selling him now or letting go on a free; if needed, next season we could get more money for the same player with a 2-year contract.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 No brainer , decent left back , in form. Also not a past it , massive wage crock like half the dross we’ve kept onto for too long in recent years 

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been like a new signing this season. Solid and decent on the ball. New deal. 

  • Agree 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jon Newsome said:

2 year extension makes sense, if we get a decent offer for him we should sell though and strike while the iron is hot. Too often we've held onto players the last few years until they are worth nothing, Forestieri the biggest example.

I agree with your mentality but it’s all about hindsight.

 

To sell a player at the top of the game is a gamble as you don’t know if the replacement-if you can find one-will fit in and be equally as good as the player you’re selling. It also sends out the wrong message to a team striving to progress.

 

If Bannan left today how would we feel?Would we be comforted that he’s at the top of his game? I wouldn’t. I’d want him here at Wednesday,with us benefiting from a peak performing BB.

 

 If we had a crystal ball and could see that in a couple of weeks he’d be injured or suffer a massive decline in ability then I’m sure we’d be happy enough to sell, but without the benefit of hindsight selling your top players, when you’re pushing for promotion, isn’t the way forward in my opinion.

 

Had we sold FF when the alleged £10M bids were coming in people would have been severely upset, it would have also weakened us considerably, but with hindsight i don’t think there’s a single fan that wouldn’t have sold him even for £5M looking back.

 

Every fan would no doubt have offloaded Fox for £200k 18 months ago, without the benefit of hindsight.

 

Football is so unpredictable. That’s one of its charms.

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mainstay of one of the best defences in the league, already here, not expensive, decent age... why would anyone not want him to sign a new deal? 

  • Agree 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At 26 he’s worth keeping unless he’s on silly wages 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Morepork said:

A couple of “media outlets” reporting that we’ve moved to offer Fox a new deal. Quite possibly agent generated although based on his performances this season I suspect there’s genuine interest from us and outside parties.

 

Personally, I always felt Fox got more grief than he deserved, albeit his performances were rarely better than indifferent. This season it’s a different story entirely, not only is he playing better but also his body language is different, theres more passion, more energy, more intent.

 

What an incredible transition from favourite of the boo boys to the player we’re seeing this season. He’s rapidly building a genuine rapport with fans and he’s shown enormous strength of character to come through that. On that basis, shouldn’t he be rewarded accordingly?

 

So, the million dollar question, are we right to renew or do we cut our losses. Would seem crazy to let him leave for free but......There’s always a chance we’re seeing a player finding that bit extra to get a new deal or an offer from another club.

 

Deal or no deal?

Deal!!! Like you said he is showing a tenacity that we hadnt previously witnessed. Everything in his game has improved under fatboy and monkey

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Definitely a new deal.

 

Most improves player in our squad and deserves to be rewarded.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We will be stumbling over ourselves to offer him and Dawson new deals. I have no doubt about that. Only fear is if they will sign them.

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Give him a year with possibility of a extension if he makes say 35 appearances next season

too many times we've handed out 3/4 year contracts and they standards have dropped before the inks gone dry 

 

 

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...