Then manager’s press conferences

Like most people on here will probably agree, monk has done a sterling job this season especially considering the dross we have up front. 

Not on here to criticise either but has anyone else noticed how every week it’s always ‘We will go through bad times and good times, just like everyone in this league and that’s the way it is’ 

There seems to be a sense of him accepting how inconsistent we have been and will continue to be; without giving any real insight or solution on how he plans to do this. 

I know managers basically get asked the same questions every week which must be frustrating but equally, it’s not particularly reassuring to hear him basically saying we will continue to be inconsistent. 

Anyone else also noticed how every time he gets asked a question his first word is always ‘no’ 

Guest HillsboroughOwlNI

Footballers are all about cliches, ya know. Like I said. As long as we get the three points at the end of the day. **scratches face, and looks everywhere but into the camera**

7 minutes ago, Sefton owl said:

Like most people on here will probably agree, monk has done a sterling job this season especially considering the dross we have up front. 

Not on here to criticise either but has anyone else noticed how every week it’s always ‘We will go through bad times and good times, just like everyone in this league and that’s the way it is’ 

There seems to be a sense of him accepting how inconsistent we have been and will continue to be; without giving any real insight or solution on how he plans to do this. 

I know managers basically get asked the same questions every week which must be frustrating but equally, it’s not particularly reassuring to hear him basically saying we will continue to be inconsistent. 

Anyone else also noticed how every time he gets asked a question his first word is always ‘no’ 

Don’t think he is accepting anything, just outlining where we are at the moment 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Sefton owl said:

it’s because when we lose a game supporters think we’ve had it - and when we win they think we’re going up.

the nature of the championship suggests you’ll have some up and down results.

hes just tempering expectation. It’s boring but I can understand it really.

7 minutes ago, HillsboroughOwlNI said:

Footballers are all about cliches, ya know. Like I said. As long as we get the three points at the end of the day. **scratches face, and looks everywhere but into the camera**

Difficult place to come. So-n-so are a strong team/difficult opponents. Kept to the game plan. in this moment (popular amongst foreign managers but increasingly repeated by the locals)

Uuuurrgh

• Haha 1

He's a football manager not an orator.

Other than the last match they played, whose fit/injured who are we signing, there's not much else to talk about.

If talking to reporters is not your thing then talking in cliches is probably the best way to get through the damn thing.

If you want something enlightening to listen to try Christopher Hitchen videos.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Sefton owl said:

We have an average squad. I think inconsistency is inevitable at the moment.

38 minutes ago, Sefton owl said:

No. The Monk is simply trying to keep an even keal to the good ship HMS P1ss the League. One match at a time. One match closer. Even Klopp does this.

Have no F.E.A.R.

garymegson

43 minutes ago, Sefton owl said:

So you don’t like how consistent he is?

• Haha 2

The questions are just awful. I know they were designed just to get a response which can then be converted into an article, but I can't think there's anything particularly stimulating about answering a question posed as: “How important do you think it is that we go on a good run now?”

That is a real f*cking question asked by a real f*cking journalist, and the worst part of it is that a version of it is asked every f*cking week.

It doesn't surprise me that many managers just treat the press conferences as an obligation they merely have to endure.

Having said that, the reality is probably that there's not really much to be said from one week to the next. An injury update is often the only informative part. The rest of what is talked about just means The Star can just generate a week of articles based on what is sometimes only a one or two word response to a mindless question.

Still, at least this is better than 'articles' based on the tweeted responses of some fans to a tweet by a player that'll go something like: “The lads played well today. Onwards and upwards!”

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, torryowl said:

at present we are the 6th most consistent team in the division …...

It's more accurate to say we have the 6th best points tally in the division. Consistency could be anything from consistently good to consistently bad.