Promotion

I definitely fancy us for the top 6.

I know we've beat Leeds and Brentford already and gave West Brom a good run for their money but they are good sides more often than anyone else. 

Outside of them, with or without Fletcher, we are a match for anyone and take away the potential EFL penalties can see us going to Wembley again. 

3 hours ago, pazowl55 said:

Is the league not that strong this season because we are winning and in the top 6?

Had we been stuffed every week and been in the bottom 6 would we be saying, really difficult league this season. Some good teams in it.

Think it's more a case of with the amount of clubs suffering FFP issues there isn't a stand out team and it's more of an even playing field. There were probably 18 teams fancying promotion at the start of the season.

59 minutes ago, sherlyegg said:

Can only get tougher if we don't go up

Next year there will be another 3 clubs with a £65M start on us.

Half the clubs in the league will be on parachute payments.

The other half will have points deductions or pending action. 

Seriousely though, this hasnt given stoke or huddersfield any major advantage. 

After reading the comments on this subject, most may tend to forget that we have played many 'back up' players this season who have slotted in extremely well, albeit the forwards have not stepped up and staked a claim for a regular place ie with a lack of goals except the odd time re Nott's Forest. To sum up, we have the oldest average aged team in the Championship doing a great job due to experience which the majority of clubs would bust a gut for and if according to some fans on here we don't have a strong team comparing to previous seasons ie Hunt, Pudil & Wallace etc take a good look at results + league standings and the defensive work that's been put in this season and you will find its as good as we have done over the last 4 years or so, if not better. My stand out's are Fox, Bannan, Borner & Fletch (when fit)

IMO take a bow Garry Monk + Bully because its full kudos to these and their backroom staff for a solid season and hopefully PL in August.    WAWAW  UTO 

2 hours ago, owlsruleok said:

After reading the comments on this subject, most may tend to forget that we have played many 'back up' players this season who have slotted in extremely well, albeit the forwards have not stepped up and staked a claim for a regular place ie with a lack of goals except the odd time re Nott's Forest. To sum up, we have the oldest average aged team in the Championship doing a great job due to experience which the majority of clubs would bust a gut for and if according to some fans on here we don't have a strong team comparing to previous seasons ie Hunt, Pudil & Wallace etc take a good look at results + league standings and the defensive work that's been put in this season and you will find its as good as we have done over the last 4 years or so, if not better. My stand out's are Fox, Bannan, Borner & Fletch (when fit)

IMO take a bow Garry Monk + Bully because its full kudos to these and their backroom staff for a solid season and hopefully PL in August.    WAWAW  UTO 

With over half the season gone, we can make a reasonable assessment of our chances As you say, our experienced team (squad) has proven that they can be there or thereabouts, come the end of the season. Losing our leading scorer is a big blow, especially as that was the one department where we already lacked firepower. Fletcher’s goals, while not papering over the cracks, were crucial to us remaining in, or around, the promotion places. How do we improve on the first half of the season? 
Well first, we need to find a replacement for Fletcher, and quickly. Then it’s a case of adding a bit of pace and guile to the front line. There is no point in getting sidetracked by bringing in players for other departments. It’s difficult enough as it is, for us to get players in at this time of the year, so no point in extending the shopping list. A revamp of the front line will be enough at this stage. The other departments will improve with more consistency, consistency in selection, and perhaps tactics. Monk’s thinking out of the box has certainly gained us points, Boro comes to mind, but also cost us points, in games where the midfield has been overrun. Have to agree, the top two is probably beyond us, barring the sort of window that perhaps, only the the fantasists envisage We just need to make sure we build on what has been a solid 12 months of decent work

If we get a decent striker in to cover while Fletcher is out we should be up and around the top 6, 

Monk was parachuted in and he has now had to look at the players and systems that we can use during this half of the system.

He will now have got a clearer idea what works and doesn't so I would expect results to be a little better for the rest of the season.

12 hours ago, Silkstone Owl said:

We’re way too inconsistent at the moment 

but this years league is the poorest it’s been for a while.  It needs to happen this year but I feel the team aren’t up for the challenge

To be fair, there is no consistent team (l**ds and west brom both haven't won in 5), its a battle to be the least inconsistent

It's only mid January, we're there or there abouts. Very little happens in this window till the last week, so pointless being impatient as I think we'll maybe get a couple of loans in at the end of January. 

Fessi will be playing (hopefully) for either a new contract or to put himself in the shop window, so even to get him back around 70/80% of that first season would really be a boost. We've fletch and a couple of others to come back from injury too. 

We've a good defencive record so far this season, so if the points deduction isn't forthcoming as of yet let's just see where we go. 

Guest LittleG

My position on all this is to never even think that we have a chance of promotion. If we fail then you dont feel as bad because your hopes have not been dashed; if we suceed then the feeling of euphoria will be off the scale. Just go with the flow; after all it is Wednesday we're talking about. 

14 hours ago, The only way is S6 said:

If we finish in the top 6 it's a total lottery after that, so it's possible.

We've just beaten one of the top 2 who have been up there all season. Without our main striker.

Put a run together with a couple of new players in & let's give it a good fkng crack.

Agreed. The 3 Xmas games set us back but an unexpected win at Leeds gives us hope.  We haven't been comprehensively beaten by anyone so reasons to be cheerful!  I think 6th place is possible.

8 minutes ago, 31Dec1966 said:

Agreed. The 3 Xmas games set us back but an unexpected win at Leeds gives us hope.  We haven't been comprehensively beaten by anyone so reasons to be cheerful!  I think 6th place is possible.

That’s a good point, we’ve not been comprehensively beaten, so it’s generally been fine margins, and a lot of the time, we’ve come out on top The games where we have come unstuck, are down to a lack of quality in forward areas, either directly, by not scoring enough, or indirectly, where we’ve had to weaken other areas to compensate for a lack of firepower Address this in this window, and we massively increase our chances

Edited by gurujuan

1 hour ago, Beauchief Owl said:

It has, they just haven't made the most of it hence both have sacked managers this season.

Both teams have struggled with the physical side of the championship (not what i expected from stoke) .. And therin lays one of the risks of bringing in big money signings from the premier league.  Oddly i don't think weve played much better than stoke we just seem more physically cabable of grinding out results. 

0% chance of auto.

I reckon no more than 40pc chance of 3-6. Some would say a bit ungenerous, but we are not reliable to generate home wins. 

Call it 25% of winning play offs. Can't assess for now, but our solidity will be a huge asset.

So say a 10% chance of going up at this stage just on the football front. 

That feels about right. And then obviously some way lower because the likelihood is that we will have a points reduction.

3 minutes ago, thewookieisdown said:

0% chance of auto.

I reckon no more than 40pc chance of 3-6. Some would say a bit ungenerous, but we are not reliable to generate home wins. 

Call it 25% of winning play offs. Can't assess for now, but our solidity will be a huge asset.

So say a 10% chance of going up at this stage just on the football front. 

That feels about right. And then obviously some way lower because the likelihood is that we will have a points reduction.

A reasonable assessment, but.................we may yet have an amazing window