Promotion

1 hour ago, Pale Rider said:

Taking the threat of a points deduction out of the equation, must of us didn’t hold hopes of a promotion run this season. As the season unfolded it became apparent the league wasn’t that great and if held in until January, with a few reinforcements, we could have a run at it. Looks like the cavalry won’t be forthcoming. Are we strong enough and good enough to hang in there as we are? 

Your thoughts?

Its AUTOMATION we are after always has been, always will be. The EFL don't know wether to stick or Twist as Mr C may burn down the whole  F3cking charade...

For Megson's sake, a pub team, with a pub league manager got promoted out of this charade of a League last year. Our players know if THEY were able to do it, so can we.

This is happening...

garymegson

2 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Do we have a much weaker side.? There are alot more teams with money now then there was then. We got in the top 6 twice under Carlos and since we have struggled with the same players. 

So that tells me one of two things the league was weaker back then or Carlos was a genius.  Teams now have far more quality in there squads then they did back then.

Yes we have a weaker squad. Pudil, hunt and Hooper all gone and never replaced. Westwood, Lee, FF all past their best with inferior replacements in place. Not sure we have strengthened in any position. Maybe CB at a push.

• Haha 1

Don't buy in to this whole league being poor idea. I think it's same as it always is. 3 or 4 standout teams, 3 or 4 toilet teams and everyone else capable of beating or losing to anybody. 

It's the championship, its always been like this. 

Edited by Mystic Neg

44 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

That's not the league being poor and being there for the taking. That's us being good.

Opinions. Not many on here were saying we were good the morning we played brighton! Personally I think top 6 is very achievable

4 minutes ago, NorthernOwl said:

Yes we have a weaker squad. Pudil, hunt and Hooper all gone and never replaced. Westwood, Lee, FF all past their best with inferior replacements in place. Not sure we have strengthened in any position. Maybe CB at a push.

The squad was far too big. We still have too many strikers.

Have no fear

1 minute ago, NorthernOwl said:

Fox as good this season as Pudil has ever been. Hunt.?? We were pleased with 1.7m or what ever it was. Says it all. Fletcher been every bit as good as Hooper was for us this last year. Agree with the three past there best. But Iorfa, Borner, Reach, Harris, Luongo have all improved the squad. 

Think Carlos deserves more credit had good little combinations working all over the pitch for us.

32 minutes ago, NorthernOwl said:

The number of teams in the mix is irrelevant to how strong the league is.

Can be true but not in this case

Ask :monkgif1:

2 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Fox as good this season as Pudil has ever been. Hunt.?? We were pleased with 1.7m or what ever it was. Says it all. Fletcher been every bit as good as Hooper was for us this last year. Agree with the three past there best. But Iorfa, Borner, Reach, Harris, Luongo have all improved the squad. 

Think Carlos deserves more credit had good little combinations working all over the pitch for 

I was thinking more the 2nd season under Carlos when Reach and Fletcher were in the squad. If you are talking about his squad in season 1 then yes probably similar to now. But with the big difference of having FF having a wonder season and being unplayable.

Cant say I agree that fox and palmer are better than pudil and hunt were. Yes we sold hunt on the cheap but he was nearly always preferred to palmer who I doubt we would even get 1.7 million for.

Guest LittleG
1 hour ago, peacock1961 said:

Tend to agree with this I think we have the best defensive unit in the league just seem to have lacked creativity, class and bottle in other areas. 

Although Leeds and Brentford may disagree with your first point.

With a fit Fletcher I think we could well have nailed down a top 6 place. With him being out we are desperate for improvements up top. Unfortunately I can’t see us or anyone else troubling the top 2. Then again are Leeds going to do a Leeds and fall apart? Play offs, I don’t see why not. (With a new striker or ideally 2)

Edited by WalthamOwl

42 minutes ago, NorthernOwl said:

I was thinking more the 2nd season under Carlos when Reach and Fletcher were in the squad. If you are talking about his squad in season 1 then yes probably similar to now. But with the big difference of having FF having a wonder season and being unplayable.

Cant say I agree that fox and palmer are better than pudil and hunt were. Yes we sold hunt on the cheap but he was nearly always preferred to palmer who I doubt we would even get 1.7 million for.

Second season the league was terrible though. You got to admit that. Huddersfield and Reading in the playoffs. I think we are slowly getting there now as a squad minus the strikers. Like I said previously Carlos had good combinations working. Like Hunt and Wallace for example. Which made each player seem alot better than they actually were.

3 hours ago, pazowl55 said:

Is the league not that strong this season because we are winning and in the top 6?

Had we been stuffed every week and been in the bottom 6 would we be saying, really difficult league this season. Some good teams in it.

I think we would... you speak much sense 

• Like 1

We need to keep our levels as high as Leeds away and we can beat anybody 

We’ve found a ‘new’ midfield after that Brighton game, Luongo and Lee are the missing legs that we needed to push us forward and win the battle on the middle. We no longer look cumbersome with Hutch and Bannan - and I think this rubs off on the rest of the team. The fitness of Lee, Luongo and Bannan will pull this side through and our back four are in great form.

We’ll create chances - missing Fletcher is big but I think we’ll start to see more goals from all over the park with this change in midfield 

I didn't think we had a realistic chance after Bruce left us in the lurch to be honest. Monk and Bully have built upon Bruce's foundations and progressed upon it. Some decent signings were made in the summer window. Past recruitment; high wages, embargoes and EFL FFP/P&S as held us back. We missed a great chance during the Carlos era. We've since done some much better business, harking back to the Gray era and the team Carlos took to the play off's. Plus we've learnt from past mistakes and been more savvy in the transfer market and finally hired managers with Championship and top flight experience.

I'd say unexpectedly we're in a good position, albeit with the EFL threat overshadowing the progress on and off the pitch. We've got a good mix of experience and youth, defensive solidity and a good midfield and width for this level. Losing Fletcher is a big blow for any team at this level but especially with our set up (which he suits) and with him being our only recent consistent striker.

To push on this season we need to complement our solidity and creativity with more goals. At the least we need a Fletcher replacement (someone like Wickham seems ideal) and maybe something different or a wide attacker with some pace (such as what Monk had at Birmingham with Adams). We can make the top 6 and give the play-off's a good go this season if we can add some more goals to what we've already got and if we replace Fletcher.